Women Only: I chopped it all off!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalkaboutTed

Reaction score
20180603_090530-936x1664.jpg20180603_093654-576x1024.jpgView attachment 19712I'm tired of having to deal with washing, conditioning and all the other crap someone must do if they want a full head of hair. I'm tired of hot flashes when I feel like my head is going to explode because of the insulation of thick hair. I'm tired of hat hair. Why should guys have all the pleasure and opportunities to shave their heads?  

So I went to WallyWorld and bought some clippers. I laid a chux pad on the floor, kneeled over it and sacrificed my hair to convenience.  Wow! It is so cool and comfortable.  I shoulda done this years ago. I can't figure out, though if that mark on the back of my head is a gouge from the clippers or the scar from a head injury that had stiches when I was a kid. I don't have a mirror to be able to see. I'll ask someone, I guess.

It's great to be old and not care.
Ted

Attachments

• 20180603_093654-576x1024.jpg
    20180603_093654-576x1024.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20180603_090530-936x1664.jpg
    20180603_090530-936x1664.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 11
Looks great!

I keep mine really short and it feels wonderful. Grew it out 15 years ago and kept it ponytail length for a couple of years, it was annoying as hell, but a weird aside... guys treated me completely differently. Polite, opened doors for me, nodded hello and goodbye, it was bizarre.

I'll grow it back for the winter. I keep the trailer cold at night (down into the 40s) and it would be too cold so short. It grows so quickly and thick, I figure if my last cut is in August/September that it will be long enough by November.

I put a #2 guard on my clippers & keep it buzzed off. It is so good to just get up in the mornings & not have to mess with any hair! I've worn mine this way for the last 7 yrs, in the winter when I lived in a house that didn't have heat I just wore a toboggan. Yes, it is so great to be old (71) and not have to worry about living my life for others. I now live my life for me & for comfort. If people don't like what they see, LOOK AWAY!! Freedom is so wonderful.

I don't know what I'm going to do with my hair when I'm van dwelling. I really don't look good with short-short hair, so I'm thinking about head wraps or turbans. I can go an extra day or two now without washing by cleaning it with corn starch. It makes it dull looking, but it's clean.

YAY!   

Yep me too! I had it pretty short but just recently shaved it...#2 and #3 clippers. 

The only down side is having to keep up with it...but it looks pretty good even when it starts to grow out!

I used to have long hair...I am basking in the freedom now of not having to care about my hair!

Walkabout you are brave. You and anyone else that appreciates your attitude are the the kind of people that I need right now. I just went full time a week ago. Solo. 63 year old woman. I am not fairing to well. I don't know what to do. I am afraid, lonley and I feel lost. I am already having issues with my rig and money. I need a good pep talk please.

To The Breeze: Everyone struggles in the beginning! Hang in there, it does get easier. Remember why you wanted to do that and hold that close to your heart. As you spend more time on the road you'll meet more people and feel less alone!

I think it helps to have a profile filled out here so people can see who you are. Even on here we have to be careful.

Check the Women's forum and the Gatherings forum to see where people are.

If you're on facebook, join the WRTR and beyond page. Another good Facebook group I've round is Fabulous RVing Women, it seems like a supportive group. It might be FRVW on Facebook. There are other solo women groups on Facebook if you do a search.

Mary Ellen

WalkaboutTed said:
I'm tired of having to deal with washing, conditioning and all the other crap someone must do if they want a full head of hair. I'm tired of hot flashes when I feel like my head is going to explode because of the insulation of thick hair. I'm tired of hat hair. Why should guys have all the pleasure and opportunities to shave their heads?  

So I went to WallyWorld and bought some clippers. I laid a chux pad on the floor, kneeled over it and sacrificed my hair to convenience.  Wow! It is so cool and comfortable.  I shoulda done this years ago. I can't figure out, though if that mark on the back of my head is a gouge from the clippers or the scar from a head injury that had stiches when I was a kid. I don't have a mirror to be able to see. I'll ask someone, I guess.

It's great to be old and not care.
Ted

Good for you! I went in for an "emergency pixie" a couple of months in and love it. The last lady got a little too crazy with the clippers though so I got up while I still had bangs, lol.

Attachments

• IMAG1425 (1).jpg
    IMAG1425 (1).jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 4