Women Only: Accidently on purpose hair cut

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My poor dogs always looked like they had chemo by the time I was done, bald patches and some parts longer than others. It was pretty sad, but they didn't seem to mind.

I've always done the haircuts (bare electric clippers) on my four sons and husband. Now that the boys are grown, two of them shave their own heads, the other two pay. Hubby's been getting a buzz from me 21 years, so I could do it on myself, but am afraid.

I got my hair cut today and kept saying "A little shorter, please". I always tip ahead of time, so they never fuss. Summer here in the Arizona desert makes me threaten to go the full Sinéad O'Connor, but no go from the peanut gallery. Menopause had made my tolerance of heat much worse. Maybe once we're on the road...
Ted

I really do enjoy the feel and ease of short, short hair.  But, it doesn't look as good on me as longer hair.  I searched and searched for a easy self-cut long hair style that worked for me and found one about a year ago.  Here's a post I did on it in October:

Suanne said:

About 3 years ago I started to let my hair grow out.  I finally got it to one length all around, several inches below my shoulders.  But, to keep it out of my face and eyes, I kept it pulled back all of the time.  The look ended up to be very similar to when my hair was cut very short; a look I didn't especially like on myself.  Plus, it was much more difficult to wash and maintain than the very short cut.

A couple of months ago I started to look around for DIY cuts and found something I wanted to try.   This is the method that I used:

strizhka-0007.jpg

I like this cut a lot better on me.  My hair is just thicker, more wavy, and grayer than the woman pictured here.   Although a lot of hair got cut off, it's almost the same length as it was before, just layered.  Even with my hair pulled back, the bangs soften the look which I like better.   And, because layering makes for less hair, maintenance is easier.  Not as easy as the very short cut, but easier than when it was all one length.

Suanne: I did that type style when we were in SE AL and it did make my hair much easier to care for, and it was actually much cooler. The humidity there made it wavy, dry climate made it flat not a good look.

A couple of months ago I started to look around for DIY cuts and found something I wanted to try. This is the method that I used:

[Image: strizhka-0007.jpg]

What EXACTLY is she doing with the scissors put into the ponytail she just cropped? I love the results and want to get them. But I bet HOW she is cutting in there is key.

Thank you

ORANGE said:
What EXACTLY is she doing with the scissors put into the ponytail she just cropped?  I love the results and want to get them.  But I bet HOW she is cutting in there is key.

The way I do it, and I believe it's according to the instructions:  I put my scissors about 1/2" inside the little ponytail and cut all around it and inside it.  Nothing special about it.  The idea is that it makes your bangs and layers less blunt, lays better.  I spend quite a bit of time doing this step each time I cut my hair.

Suanne

So I did it.

I looked awful, the sides and bangs (which I havent wore in a decade) looked good. The back, eek. Too thick, looked like two different haircuts.

Well, if you can do that thing in the front...what about the back?

So I ponytailed the back. Not middle of head but down toward the nape. And chopped. Didnt do the scissors in the pony, too hard from behind. And....

Looks good! No kidding. If it looks good growing out, I will keep on doing it. If not. I'll pay for a cut I can grow out. Thanks for the free haircut!