Well, I own a truck now

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimotos95

Reaction score
I pick it up tomorrow and am now just realizing this is the first time my name will be on the title of a 4x4. It's a long bed(99% sure as there was 3 stake pockets on each side) 81 Chevy K10 with a recently replaced v8, the VIN says it was originally a 305(I will check the casting numbers tomorrow) with the granny gear equipped 465 manual gear box and a NP208. it is 35 years old so has some problems and scars but was too cheap to pass up, there's a few of these 73-87s in my family and they have all been great trucks, the one my great grandfather bought new is still in the family so adding another one is a no brainer. These trucks are easy to work on,  parts everywhere with almost if not every part still being made, new by someone still. Oddly the door hinges on this one are fine. 
During my short test drive and look over I saw Kelly Safari tires with good tread on what I am pretty sure was alloy wheels, some sort of aftermarket headers,  a clarion head unit with seperate EQ. But what's more interesting to me is it's a half ton, 6 lug axles, small mirrors all that. But it had dual tanks and wiring for a truck camper that during my quick once over looked factory. HDR, I know you know a thing or two about these 73-87s. Something added on afterwards or did they make half ton trucks with a truck camper package? My google skills failed me. 

Pictures coming once I get plates and retrieve the truck from it's previous owner. 

Plans wise I'm still thinking, so many possibilities...  but I went ahead and got a cheap generic tow bar for my van just because it was the same price as renting a trailer for one day and I don't mind cutting the bumper cover since it is already tweaked. I guess if it tows good enough behind the truck I might be full timing in the most illogical vehicle combo on CRVL,  truck + van camper :) 
I have a potential long term workamping job lined up a few hours drive south of where I an that I need to go check on this week.

congrats. I will lend a hand as far as any technical info goes. first question is it lifted? they never made a k10 with a camper package. if it came factory as a camper special besides the wiring there is a camper special emblem usually on the door post behind the doors and mounts for camper shocks on the front fenders. any questions feel free to ask away. btw you are right these are great trucks with great support as far as parts. highdesertranger

That's a good question, I know it has aftermarket shocks, but I didn't have to jump up into it just step up so I am going to guess it might be an inch or two taller, which could be the tires if it's not lifted, or my poor memory.
We will see what the detailed head to tail exam shows, I already know the rear diff is seeping or leaking, not a big deal. The 1981 only transfer case shift knob is missing. The tint on the rear windows needs redone. I couldn't get the driver's side tank to unlock, Besides the obvious fluids, rubbers, etc. I don't think the blower motor works if it even has one, or a fuse is blow but I'm not concerned about that.
I'm betting it's still a 305 because it seemed to be a little Rev happy and lacking torque.

I'm such a tease uploading a picture of the glove box sticker before the whole truck
IMG_20160314_130044_zpsjdcxkrga.jpg

997lbs

12 bolt rear end 10 bolt front, the camper harness is professional looking so may have been a dealer add on or a good shop. Bumper is rated for 4k gross trailer weight but I would feel much better with a class IV or V receiver.
No body lift, shackles are stock and the front Springs are frowning. Shocks are Monroe sensa-trac, I have had good experiences with Monroe shocks in the past.
Tires are the Kelly Safari MSR 31x10.5. Just got done running the casting number for the block, 305 1980-1984 with 2 bolt mains

great sounds like it's not lifted that's a good thing. if you ever want to lift it let me know I will let you know what you got to do. I would not try to tow off the bumper. if you want to tow get yourself a regular receiver. highdesertranger

I think I can get in enough trouble without a lift :) some skid plates would be my first choice for improving the offroad ability of this thing. As is I think it's going to work fine for my needs and is something that is going to last me a while as long as I don't go ADD and try trading it for a 78 dodge diesel or fuso(damn mitsubishi obsession) ... There's some things I would like to do like put a grill guard beefy enough to take a moose at 55mph, upgrade all the lights but those are not necessities.
IMG_20160314_190737_zpshdsbbsea.jpg

Some further inspection revealed it's a Jasper engine with an Edelbrock carb.
It is crazy how high the rating on some of these bumpers is, I have
a hard time believing when a stamped steel bumper says 8klbs but 4klbs I guess might be realistic, my van is probably right around 3500 as is. I think what I will do once I get the tow bar on my van is try a short run around see how well it tows then decide if it's worth it to put $150 into a new receiver. It might be needed just to tow the van across town because that trucks bumper is a bit higher than the vans which means I probably need a drop hitch

a moose at 55mph. man that would be one hell of a grill guard. that's a pretty nice looking truck. I see you have manual locking hubs that's a plus. highdesertranger

does that little trim piece behind the door just a little higher than the door handle have a teepee on it? highdesertranger

Just a bow tie. I can't think of much explanation for why a long bed half ton has camper wiring except maybe they bought the half ton then decided they wanted a camper. The 12 bolt rear end and dual tanks aren't that unusual but the 6 pin camper plug installed so cleanly that it had to have been done with the bed off just strikes me as odd.

that sticker in the glove box about camper loading also is raising my suspicion. haha I had to edit this post because I wrote it raised my suspension. highdesertranger

looks just like mine,well,before i rattle caned it black and started running into stumps :D i'll get the neighbor over here with his tractor and straighten the bumpers,yea,front and back :angel: ,thats just how i roll ,your going to love the cheap/easy to find parts

Great find Minimotos! I've had a couple of those trucks, but in 3/4 ton. My last on was an "85 4x4 and was as close to a hot rod as I've ever had. I dropped a 512 cu in Cadillac motor in it. It would pass anything but a gas station! Averaged 8 mpg and once got down to 4 mpg 4 wheeling in Moab. You'll be happiest keeping it basically stock and just maintaining it. It should last a long time for you. Congratulations!

Definitely keeping it stockish and reliable, I took it out for 40 miles on some great back roads here in western Colorado to see if I could still drive, after all I think the last time I drove something with 4 wheels was my uncle's longbed k20 over a year ago.
Doing that little drive the idea that these GM trucks might be the truck equivalent to a KLR650 popped into my head. I confirmed that the 4x4 does work, that the granny gear is great to have for descents and also there's no way I wouldn't do stupid stuff if I had more ground clearance.
Today I need to adjust the clutch, upgrade the chassis ground, learn how to open or break and replace the driver's side fuel cap and see what the hell the wiring they added to this thing is doing.
When i get some spare cash I will get gear oil too.

I forgot to mention under the seat I found a brand new hi-lift jack, score.

minimotos, I agree about the square body GM's being great trucks. hint on the locking gas cap. the tumbler part of the lock should be aluminum, take a big old screw driver place it into where the key goes, take a hammer and pound the screwdriver in about the depth of the key. then twist the screw driver like it's the key, put vise grips on the screw driver if you have to. what should happen is the tumbler will turn and break then the cap will come off normally. don't ask me how I know this trick. btw gas thieves no this trick which make locking gas caps almost useless. highdesertranger