Women Only: I’ve failed on my attempt to be a nomad

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love my camp list. It does have things to service - a safe trip is more fun than a breakdown any day.

I love having ideas for breakfast, lunch and dinner and grocery check offs. I don't bring everything on the list but I can quickly scan it before I leave and make sure I brought what I did need, like my prescription or that sunburn lotion. One side has a place for the date, mileage and destination of my trip. It's printed double sided on a legal paper but folds into about a 2.5 x 4" piece and I can toss it into my file and later have the trip info and notes I made even if I don't look at it for a year or more. Sometimes I want the info for photos I am trying to figure out.

to wondering
follow your heart, that's the best we can do. you did not fail, be proud you tried..and you found your truth!
[/quote]

Rubydragon

I am not at rtr but can come and bring food.

I called and left a message on your phone. Call me if you still need help please.

It’s not a problem at all.

Please text me your coordinates.

Moxadox, LOL, I am so in agreement Dire Wolfess!  You did good "Wondering", very proud of you.  I know what it's like to be out there as I did a lot of travel in the last 20 years, just in my small truck, and my pup Toney.  I hope you don't give up. I'm not giving up yet and I see a lot against me big hugs, Denise

Maki, I was thrilled to read what you do as you travel.  I love to do all-things computer, and I could use that.  I also love to make pictures with backgrounds made from these "books" you can buy at Walmart or a craftstore (picture below).  The only thing with the latter is if someone wants to buy them, there is the shipping issue.  But I could find out about that;)

oops forgot book with scrap-paper

Attachments

• scrapphin.jpeg
    scrapphin.jpeg
    366.2 KB · Views: 4
abbynormal said:
Maki, I was thrilled to read what you do as you travel.  I love to do all-things computer, and I could use that.  I also love to make pictures with backgrounds made from these "books" you can buy at Walmart or a craftstore (picture below).  The only thing with the latter is if someone wants to buy them, there is the shipping issue.  But I could find out about that;)

oops forgot book with scrap-paper

The things people buy the most are things they can't easily make for themselves. That is a reality lesson and not understanding that leads to a lot of frustration from people who like to make crafts and then try to earn a living doing it. If someone can easily make it they don't put a high enough value on the item for you to make decent wages from it and/or cover your expenses as well.  In such situations you are then better off teaching classes on how to do it.

This is certainly a late posting, but I did want to point out a couple of things that newbies may want to consider.

One thing I learned in the early days of car camping was to start doing it in decent weather.

It (finally) occurred to me that learning to put up a tent in a stiff, cold wind, cooking after dark (in the wind), and learning how to rearrange the entire inside of the sedan (including dog) so I could sleep on the back seat because it it was raining so hard that I couldn't put up the tent might be better done in warmer weather and earlier in the day.

When everything is new to you, everything needs thinking about, it all takes longer than you think, and that's when you realize what you forgot. Like realizing that you could use a rock to hammer in the tent stakes, but there aren't any rocks.

This happens to everyone, but it still tends to make you feel like a dummy when you realize something rather late in the game that should have been obvious much sooner. I know because I'm sure that I've made every mistake possible.

I'm still embarrassed about driving 40 miles in the wrong direction, even after four decades. *blush*

Also, being unsteady on your feet can result from simply sitting too much. I met an elderly lady at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison campground, and she had that problem and needed to get into better shape quickly. She was driving from California to N. Carolina because her daughter had been in an accident and had two broken legs.

Anyway, because she was unsteady on her feet, she needed to support herself, so she used her car. Every couple of hours, she would stop and walk around her car multiple times with her hand on it to maintain her balance, and she said it was helping.