Women Only: Heading West from East coast

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Element Gypsy

Reaction score
Hey everyone.  Was at my first RTR this year. Drank the cool aid so to speak. Almost bought a 4 window bus but keeping it simple for now. Going full time. We will see.
I traveled a lot in my life. Great camper.

Leaving Vermont as I have no ties here anymore and hate the cold. 
Going West. Gave up apartment for good. Sold all my stuff.

Finally have the E packed and leaving tomorrow, the first full day of Autumn. 

Going to Colorado, Moab, Escalante, Salt Lake city? then Los Angeles.  Mexico in winter.
That is the plan for now.

Who wants to meet up? Who are you? Where are you? Where are you headed?

Hi, Element Gypsy . . . I'm in Idaho and plan to drive to the RTR in a car this year... but will be getting a van. I'm also planning to downsize from an apartment to a van, hopefully by next spring. After that, I don't have any specific travel plans, except to return to California (my original home state) to write about it, and to drive Highway 66 from Santa Monica to Chicago.

I can't meet up but I sure wish you safe travels and tons of fun out there on the road of freedom!!!!

Hi there EG, I'm on the Front Range in CO, and FYI it's going to be in the 20s at night starting next week. You may want to start your Western journey at the I-40 level in New Mexico. Escalante might be OK in the daytime, 30s at night. The high country of CO is already seeing snow on the peaks. October brings winter....used to be September! If you hate the cold you might consider starting a bit more south and coming back to these parts next year after it warms up again.

If you decide to come to the high country in autumn, be sure to bring tire chains for those unexpected snow squalls.

The Dire Wolfess

Thank you mox,
Yes, watching the weather. I'm on I80, should be in Chicago tomorrow.
Decided to take that across and visit my friend in salt lake. Drop down towards Moab.
My element is overloaded. Its cramped and no fun. So I am not going to spend much time exploring. Once I get to California I can unload. Thanks

Wishing you well in your travels west! I live in the south east US and am currently car camping from my Prius. I travel with a hilarious English Bull Terrier and the heat, mosquitoes and stifling humidity are getting us down. Moving into a van is impossible without proper insulation and air conditioning. However, there seems to be NO ONE who even knows what I am talking about when I search for insulation installation.
Right now, we sleep in a tent in a nearby State Park, when the sun goes down, and spend the day at home in the air conditioning. I feel SO trapped!
Celtic Sun

Celtic, remember to check the dates on postings. You are replying to a thread that was last active almost a year ago.

Celtic Suze,

Consider stashing extra gear in the tent and sleep in the vehicle. This should ease some of your stress until you can unload in California. I sometimes start out the sleeping schedule with the RAV4's air conditioner then turn it off and open windows after an evening rain or when the temps start dropping. Having a window screens and a fan that can plug into shore power or use a recharging battery is a blessing.

Celtic suze, Where in the SE? I’m in KY.

Please send photos of your hilarious dog