Women Only: Finally my solar is hooked up

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigsallysmom

Reaction score
I've got a conversion van 12 v, single battery setup powered by shore power and battery isolator. For the last months, weeks I've been planning, installing 12v 200 watt Renogy solar hampered by me not really knowing what I was doing and existing wire without labels or sizes imprinted on the insulation. So I guessed sizes but after waiting twice for items to come in I started buying what I thought was right, bigger than, and less than. Sure wish there was a retail solar business around here. Today I finally am getting to enjoy the 12v refrigerator's hum. I'd roar but somebody has to go back and shorten wires, wrap neatly, clean up the mess, and figure what I can send back. Ugh. There's  something to be said for putting in your own system from scratch.

Wow, I am so impressed-- I'm still in a head-jumble about all this stuff, i.e. watts, amps, hours, input/output, blue suede shoes, yada yada yada. Then again, I can't really afford it yet anyway, so no sweat, right?

Seriously, really good job there!!

Unfortunately, I seem to be losing a volt overnight even when I'm not in the van. I've pulled all the fuses and will be replacing one at a time until I find the problem.

You go Sally's Mom! You are one brave and intrepid lady.

The Dire Wolfess

Thanks. Did some tweaking to the system. After a battle royal trying to disconnect the MC4s at the solar panels I added quick disconnects. Still need one to create a disconnect before charge controller so I can roll up the wires.

If I had to do it again I would consider doing it like the woman who cut into her lines coming from the solar panels and added what many of us call extension cord plug replacements. Neither is waterproof but by tucking under the panels it would help to keep them drier.

I just bought a Renogy suitcase. As soon as the sun comes out I'm going to give it a go. For now though I have a lithium battery power supply station called Paxcess. It does add to the life of my IPad substantially. I am looking forward to embracing 'solar'.