Woman's Forum: Potty Issues

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never tried any of these products but have had some good success with peeing into a large McDonald's cup!

It all sounds like too much work, to me! Just carry an empty wide-mouth quart Gatorade bottle.

I use the Freshette. I bought it at REI. Expensive but worth it.  I use it every day. Multiple times a day. 

I drip or miss a bit maybe once a year. 

Here's what it looks like. 

IMG_0564.JPG
IMG_0565.JPG

The long tube is integral to how I use it. The tube sits in a gallon jug. I hold the handle and push the Freshette against my body. I pee and the pee goes in the jug. Then I use the rim of the Freshette to wipe droplets. That's enough. No toilet paper needed. 

Maybe our individual anatomies vary enough that there is no universal solution.

Attachments

• IMG_0564.JPG
    IMG_0564.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0565.JPG
    IMG_0565.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 12
I've been using a Thirstbuster cup for decades (not the same one ?). Easy to use: pour soda in the mouth and catch it on the way out. They're easy to get, painless to throw away and when you're done using it, just pop the cap on and put it in cup holder until the morning.

Ok.   I just received my new van... my future home?  .... And the salesman took a few things out of the glove box to show me...  

I cracked up.     He knew.    SO I said, that looks more like a she-wee!  ROFL.   Actually, it comes with the Transit because the gas tank filler configuration is tucked at the driver's door and has no gas cap.  This config also requires this specific size tubing to fill the tank if not from a station nozzle (but an emergency gas can, for instance.)

Is this another sign that I'm to be camping?   ROFL ROFL ROFL    Hope it brightens YOUR day too!

I can't seem to post a picture, but Ace hardware carries a "measuring funnel" which I bought last night. It has a handle on the side, a cap for the top, and a long drain tube. Playing with some ideas for a bucket toilet for remote rockhunting trips. Our last trip was a pail, bags and cat litter, and got very smelly very quickly.

TrainChaser--it was the first URL you linked to--I have to admit I liked the long hose because my plans involve a urine separator that can become a urinal for my son to use. Now to find a taller pail--I'm off tomorrow, so I'll be heading to place I found on Craigslist that supposedly has 7 gallon pails.

Although I'm probably over-thinking this--when we were in Timbuktu last fall looking for rocks, he hated the potty tent with its stinky bucket so much that he went off out of sight to pee whenever he felt the need.

Why a taller bucket? If it's because it will hold more, be aware that it also gets heavier.

I spent most of my travel to / from RTR at rest areas without facilities. While I have a marine toilet with a cassette, it was just so much easier to stand up and pee into a large (soda) plastic cup from a fast food restaurant, cap the plastic lid back on and put it into the trash receptacle.
I haven't looked into the legality of all that, being "toxic waste" in regular trash...but again I revert to dog poo pickup and dumping it.

Anyway, throwing a plastic fast food cup away causes no one to wonder or bother noticing.

I like to remind folks we don't put used baby diapers or tampons into any special sort of container; it's only a biohazard if you have an infectious/communicable disease.

[quote pid='224038' dateline='1473538051']
I bought an oil funnel that might do the job, $2.50 at Home Depot

Also, for bottles, the wide opening of the Gatorade bottles look useful 
[/quote]

after buying and trying all the dainty girl pee gadgets, i ended up using a blue funnel for $1.50 from auto zone into an empty (maybe 1 gallon) laundry soap jug.  for me, the slim design of the sheewee things required more skill in the nighttime than my sleepy brain could handle (can't hardly miss with a regular funnel), although i still keep a sheewee-type in my pack for hiking.  as for the gatorade-sized bottles, i was presented with a middle-of-the-night dilemma/disaster one too many times when i forgot to have an empty one on hand before bed.  the funnel fits tightly into the laundry soap jug, and the jug is big and has a handle, so the whole thing comes off without a hitch, one handed and in the dark...  wow, feels like _way_ tmi  :blush: !  

but yeah, as i sit here and ponder whether i'm o.k. with posting personal pee practices, i'll add that empty laundry soap jugs are available for free and in abundance at laundromats across the country, so the whole setup costs nearly nothing, and so can be disposable as desired.

oh, and a spray or two of vinegar into the jug cuts way down on unpleasant smells.

and for the other part of potty,  definately check out the turbo toilet-  i totally agree with PathofAsha- very sturdy, simple, discreet, and space-saving for van use.

Well, for that matter, use a large soda or slurpee cup with a lid for the one-nighter.

DrJean: "Well, for that matter, use a large soda or slurpee cup with a lid for the one-nighter."

If you're alone, you might get away with that. I'll have an old dog and three cats with me, and that sounds like a disaster in the making.

They sell it on Amazon and there are some reviews to read.  Four stars average.

Headache said:
This should also explain why no, I cannot use a separate receptacle.

Thanks for sharing I thought I was the only one. My worst mishap with seperating I thought it was working and I had missed it altogether.  Took half the day to clean. I no longer try to seperate.

I was impressed by seeing the Black Pine Turbo Toilet, that would have been great years back when we had both kids at home and were on a car trip, but it was sold out. I emailed the company and they have said they hope to have them back in stock in the next 45 days with a ? mark at the end of their statement. I was glad to hear that.

I also have to two different female urination devices I need to test, remembering an incident with one from the past has me...... I'll get it done and report back on those.

Latest posts