Wok wok wok wok wok

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckwilk

Reaction score
On another thread about kitchen musts a couple of folks mentioned woks. I started looking into them and they sound interesting. I know nothing about woks other than what I learned from my light research. Carbon steel seems to be the way to go and treated kinda like you would cast iron. They seem large, 12 to 14 inches and larger. Most meals I cook are for one, is there any reason you wouldn't want to go 8 or 9 in. ? In interest of double duty they look like they might replace my tin hat in a pinch. (-;

I love Thai food cooked in a Wok.  Especially Pad Se Ew !!!  The problem is finding a propane burner with enough BTU output.

Most professional woks are sitting on over 100,000 BTU burner so you can not get the same flash hot cooking flavor on a propane burner that most have.

I purchased a semi flat carbon steel wok from Ross for around $8.00.  I use my turkey fryer burner sometimes successful and it is around 30,000 BTU.

You can't get the exact flavor without the intense heat but it is still good.
A SEEKER

buckwilk said:
On another thread about kitchen musts a couple of folks mentioned woks. I started looking into them and they sound interesting. I know nothing about woks other than what I learned from my light research. Carbon steel seems to be the way to go and treated kinda like you would cast iron. They seem large, 12 to 14 inches and larger. Most meals I cook are for one, is there any reason you wouldn't want to go 8 or 9 in. ?  In interest of double duty they look like they might replace my tin hat in a pinch. (-;

When cooking in a wok you want to have lots of space to move things around. Some recipes call for cooking 1 food item, move it to the side, cook another food item before combining the two. Even if everything goes in the pan at the same time, you need maneuvering room.

I don't think I've ever even seen a 8 or 9 in. wok, they're all about the same 12 to 14 inch size.

I left the wok at home because it was too big and just make do with a fairly deep cast aluminum fry pan that I have. Cooking stir fries is more technique than the pot/wok you use.

I'm doing my cooking for one and my Wok is a big part of my cooking tools.

My Wok is a little over 12 inches with a flat spot on the bottom, and rolled metal
handles on the side.  I do have some larger ones but this is my first one I got
from my Grand Mother who bought it and got frustrated (not knowing how to use
it)  and used it for a flower pot.  At the end of the summer I asked her for it and
it was mine.  I found a book at the Public Library titled, "The Wok and the Way".

I learned by reading and talking to other people who were experienced.

I'll turn you on to this simple recipe:

1 pack of Oriental flavored Ramen Noodles.

Some sliced carrots, celery, and some snow peas.
(steam the celery, carrots until they are heated well)

Boil the Ramen Noodles half the time the package calls for.  (about 1 1/2 minutes and drain)

Take the package of seasoning and mix it with a couple table spoons of hot water.

Have some Soy Sauce on hand to season with.

Heat the Wok and pour a little peanut oil along the side of the Wok to heat it and coat the bottom.
Then add the carrots and celery.  Stir this till it glows bright.(the colors will be more pronounced)

Then add the cooked noodles and stir in with the veggies and oil. 

After a minute or so add the snow peas. (these are a garnish)

Wen they become greener add the seasoning in the water.   Stir and toss.

After a minute shake on some soy sauce and toss to mix and then plate
the food.

You can dress this up to suit yourself.   Add mushrooms, onions, garlic, bean sprouts,
sliced meat etc.   This is kind of a lo mein dish and it is good.

If you cook 1/2 Cup of white rice  to go with it it makes a tasty meal for one.

I was once at a Grocery Store and bought one carrot and one rib of celery and a few snow peas and
the guy at the register looked at me rather strangely and then said, "will this be cash or charge" ??

It was enough stuff to make three meals.

Almost, explains a lot, thanks. How did you get so smart?

DJ, Love when a post makes me laugh, I'm going to try your recipe.

A Seeker, bring the heat, isn't that the way in everything?

I am a big fan of wok cooking.  It's the essence of a one pot system.  You can stir fry, deep fry, steam fry, boil, or steam, all in the same pot (but not at the same time)   I have a carbon steel wok at home, and it's extremely simple to clean out and care for.  As soon as I finish cooking, I rinse it out, scrubbing lightly with a non-abrasive plastic (Dobie) pad.  Then I turn it upside down on top of the turned off, but still hot burner, so any moisture dries right off.

You can cook nearly any fresh vegetable or meat with just a few of these condiments:
salt, sugar, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, rice wine, rice vinegar, chili flakes (or a squirt of sriracha) , chicken flavor powder 

Right now, I'm on the hunt for a very high BTU propane cook stove.   So far, the best I can find is the Camp Chef Everest stove, which has 20,000 BTUs in each burner.   Please let me know if you know of anything better.  I know it is possible to buy propane wok stoves on Amazon, but that would require cooking outside.

Here's a great wok recipe, very fast and easy to cook:

Eggs and Tomatoes

Ingredients
5-6 eggs, beaten and salted to taste
Oil for frying
4 Roma tomatoes, cut into 8ths
½ tsp salt
1 tbs sugar
2-3 cloves garlic, finely minced
¼ tsp fresh ginger, finely minced or grated
½ tsp chicken broth granules
1 Tbs Chinese  rice wine
½ tsp hot sauce (or 1 crushed, dried red chile pepper)

Mix sauce ingredients (everything except eggs, oil, and tomatoes) in a small cup.

Add 2 Tbs oil to wok and heat.  When very hot (just before smoking) add the beaten eggs and cook very quickly.  (If the temperature is right, the eggs will puff right up.) Turn enough to cook egg completely, then pour out onto plate. 

Add 1 Tbs fresh oil to wok, and let heat for a moment.  Add tomatoes and sauce ingredients.  Add a small amount of water to cup to dissolve any remaining sugar and add to wok.   Stir fry until tomatoes begin to soften and sauce begins to thicken just a bit.  
Add eggs back into wok, stir to coat, and break up the eggs just a bit to mix with the tomatoes. 

Serve and eat while hot.  Tastes great with rice.