Winter Camping South Florida?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davsey85

Reaction score
Does anyone know how difficult it would be to camp in south florida in a Honda Crv for the winter having a ga drivers license and tags?

Looking for somewhere warm and Sunny in the winter 
And possibly a part time gig

I am sensitive to emf and looking to explore some options 

Thank You

I am currently in the Fl Keys stealth camping/parking in my converted shuttle bus lol. Not very stealth but so far so good. 
I just left the Everglades and there was no attendant at the gate to collect the $30 fee. I found a parking spot just outside Long Pine Key campground that is a day use area. Parked here overnight arriving after 8pm when the campground gate closed. (restrooms, lake, quiet).

Also, Burns Lake campground in Big Cypress. There was no host (self register) maybe you pay....maybe you dont.... Stayed 6 nights here with no issue free.

Snowbirds are headed south!! Spots in South Florida fill up fast in the winter months!

Good Luck
God Bless

If you get stuck for a space ; Get off Aligator alley ( I-75 ) at route 27 , go north 1 1/2 miles on route 27 to a flat paved area along the canal . I used to park there when i was driving tractor trailers into Miami ....

grandpa pete
I just looked your suggestion up on google maps, looks like a boat ramp or launch? Will investigate further on google earth but looks good! I will probably use this on my way back north. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks for the reply guys 

Its a 2006 honda crv

Im not very good with directions 

And rely on GPS alot.Have some autoimmune issues

that typically benefits from a quiet,sunny area 

I was interested in perhaps finding a golf course

where i can contract with management and try

and get into teaching while vehicle dwelling.

I am not sure how viable this would be in south florida

being a person of color 

A bit concerned that cops would tow the vehicle

if they knew i was attempting to vehicle dwell

Appreciate any insight

David

Davsey85 said:
Thanks for the reply guys 

Its a 2006 honda crv

Im not very good with directions 

And rely on GPS alot.Have some autoimmune issues

that typically benefits from a quiet,sunny area 

I was interested in perhaps finding a golf course

where i can contract with management and try

and get into teaching while vehicle dwelling.

I am not sure how viable this would be in south

florida being a person of color 

How likely is it that cops would tow your vehicle 

If they believe you may be living in it?

Thank You

On my 3rd night in the Florida Keys with no issues. I am using the pull over parking areas along hwy1 to park at night. No issues yet. These parking areas are mostly for parking while fishing at the bridges. If you look on google earth you will find them. 
Just respect the signs that clearly state NO Overnight Parking.

Im in a 23ft bus and have had no issues in south Florida for the last 2 weeks. 

Ocala National Forest is also 14 day free dispersed camping but more central Fl. The only issue ive had is a rule that says it must be "tent camping". I just went to walmart and picked up a cheap tent so there is a tent at my site. 

Watch some stealth camping/parking/free camping vids on youtube. When I first started I went 2 weeks in the bus before I gave up my sticks and bricks home. Although every area is different doing this isnt rocket science. Common sense and respect will get you through most of the time. As long as your vehicle, registration, DL are all legal and up to date the worst that will happen is you will be told to move.

Get a fishing license, a gone fishing sign and give night fishing a try, sleep during the day in a day use area. You will just be one of the regulars!

Appreciate the replies

I was curious being a person of color would i have

difficulties Car camping?

Thank You

Not out west on BLM but Florida??? I think anyone might have a bit of trouble car camping. Color? Oh no I wouldn’t.

South FL tends to be more like northern states. North FL tends to be more like GA. So I think you will have less trouble as a person of color in S FL.

Davsey just come west and camp with us. Abnorm just called and the group isn’t in YARC Camp but about 200 yards away. I can live with that. They are ATVers and just hope they are respectful when driving thru camp. I have a puttputt also but am very dust aware.

Thanks for the replies guys and gals grateful for your insights

and commend you for the choices you have made.

I am white, and like many white people, rarely think about how an experience might be different for a person of color.  There have been a handful of times when I have been aware that my race, gender, age and even stature have worked to my advantage when van camping, as in "thank goodness I'm just a little old white lady" when staring into that bright light and (yes) hoping it's a cop.

What I mean is that I think it's a relevant question.

I was curious for getting warm sunnier weather year round
Is it more difficult to navigate south florida in the winter and
in the summer states further north during hurricane season vs just staying in the southern cal/az area year round?...seems that Palm Springs and Yuma areas are some of the warmest in the west coast if im not mistaken

Reason i ask is that i tend to function better in the 70 plus degree range when skin is supposed to sunlight and long sleeves arent needed

I did Yuma last year in the winter and it seemed chilly.I went to cancun and noticed some immediate improvement
Grateful to be receiving ebt and some cash aid in california though i look for more optimal areas for health.

When the weather up here in the sacremento was in the 70s a month ago id go to trails and seem to feel improvement in wellbeing.

Seems that with the colder air i dont seem to experience same effect

Thank You

Curious how you guys or gals may navigate hurricanes?

Thank You

Southern cal vs florida in the winter which one is better from a climate and ease of finding places perspective?

Thank You

Davsey85 said:
Southern cal vs florida in the winter which one is better from a climate and ease of finding places perspective?

Thank You
Look up Slab City in SoCal. A deactivated military base south of Palm Springs about 30 miles north of the Mexico border. Lots of people live there for free in the winter due to the mild climate. You can stay as long as you want. Most people leave during the summer when it is super hot but the winters are beautiful. Some people have been there for over 20 years. Lots of info on the Internet

I am just now learning about Florida camping. I’ve been doing research for a year but it’s another thing to put your foot in the water and find the reality. One reality is that Florida is for Glamping not camping. Hundreds of thousands of dollars in the big class A’s and then the price of a hotel room to park at per night. I have found that the rest stops on 75 are friendly enough for three nights of overnighting not camping. You’re not going to be able to pull out your awning and lawn chairs. The Cracker Barrel here is rather friendly but same case you don’t set up like you’re going to be living there. I’m finding the Walmarts are saying no to any overnighting. Another case of abuse causes a problem for all of us that want to do it decent. You guys to talk about stealth camping in cities and such I have no experience but my van is a conversion van with a high top so it looks close enough to a class B that nobody knows I’m pooping in a bucket and all the other CRVL stuff that I do. As long as I’m discreet and clean I fit right in with the real RVs. And here in Florida they appreciate RVs. In fact the closed border with Canada is causing Florida a great loss in the snowbird business. I think that makes them more thankful to see another one on the road. At least rVs are frequent enough here that people don’t look at them to suspiciously.

Central Florida has enjoyed 2 days of nippy weather. Tomorrow will warm up again, though.