Windows 10 info

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is, indeed, strange.. get the same thing now. Whatever, it was supposed to link to an article on Ars Technica which outlined just HOW Microsoft will implement the Win 10 launch. Essentially, it will be a free upgrade for systems running win 7/8/8.1 for a year. Afterward, it will cost to upgrade (no surprises there) and those with Win 10 will receive free upgrades/updates for the lifetime of the computer.. no new versions to pay for. ..Willy.

Willy said:
Essentially, it will be a free upgrade for systems running win 7/8/8.1 for a year. Afterward, it will cost to upgrade (no surprises there) and those with Win 10 will receive free upgrades/updates for the lifetime of the computer.. no new versions to pay for. ..Willy.

I can see how that plan might make some people think it was just a way to trick people into a subscription service, especially for the more MS paranoid. Hey, I might even upgrade at that price.  :)

Willy said:
 Nope. Won't have to keep paying and Win 7 will get a free upgrade. win 10 ..Willy.

Not according to Slashdot.  It is only free for the first year.

mpicpp was one of many to point out this bit of news about Windows 10."Microsoft just took another big step toward the release of Windows 10 and revealed it will be free for many current Windows users. The company unveiled the Windows 10 consumer preview on Wednesday, showcasing some of the new features in the latest version of the operating system that powers the vast majority of the world's desktop PCs. The developer preview has been available since Microsoft first announced Windows 10 in the fall, but it was buggy, limited in scope and very light on new features. Importantly, Windows 10 will be free for existing Windows users running versions of Windows back to Windows 7. That includes Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows Phone. Microsoft specified it would only be free for the first year, indicating Windows would be software that users subscribe to, rather than buy outright. Microsoft Corporate Vice President of the Operating Systems Group Joe Belfiore showed off some of the new features in Windows 10. While Microsoft had already announced it would bring back the much-missed Start Menu, Belfiore revealed it would also have a full-screen mode that includes more of the Windows 8 Start screen. He said Windows machines would go back and forth between to two menus in a way that wouldn't confuse people. Belfiore also showed a new notification center for Windows, which puts a user's notifications in an Action Center menu that can appear along the right side, similar to how notifications work in Apple OS X. Microsoft Executive Vice President of Operating Systems Terry Myerson revealed that 1.7 million people had downloaded the Windows 10 developer preview, giving Microsoft over 800,000 individual piece of feedback. Myerson explained that Windows 10 has several main intents: the give users a mobility of experience from device to device, instill a sense of trust in users, and provide the most natural ways to interact with devices." More details are available directly from Microsoft.

BC Guy said:

While Willy does appear to be right, in that the upgrade is free and one does not have to pay for a subscription, there is additional info in that article that may cause me to stick with Win7. They say, "we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device..." What this means is that once I am used to Win10, when my laptop dies, or just gets old, then I will be forced into the subscription model. I currently have two copies of Win7 Ultimate 64-bit. One for my laptop and one for a desktop which I may or may not try to build and run in a van. I shouldn't need to buy new copies of my Windows OS for many, many years.

On the other hand, do I really want to be that guy, several years from now, who is still using an ancient OS while everyone else has moved on? I am already falling behind in my ITish skills. It may be worth it just to be able to learn the new OS sooner rather than later. Naturally, I will take an image of my old setup before attempting an upgrade.

Note: While I have always been interested in trying to learn Linux, I am addicted to certain software that is only available on Windows. Yes I know there are some alternatives for some of the most important things but I have never, EVER, found any of those alternatives to be anywhere near as good as the products available for Windows. No, I will not go into a list or debate. I was a network manager for 12 years. I have done my research. For what I need, Linux and OS alternatives just do not cut it.

I hear what your saying. Even though I'm still a certified Network + technician. I'm way behind on my current IT skills. I'm only still "certified" because I got my certification back before they changed to make a person keep up with their knowledge to keep their certification in force. I can find enough information on-line to get anything done that I want since I already know how computers work and I do read a lot about new things. I would like to learn more about Linux but I got lazy when I finally moved over to the dark side and started using Windows. I was one of those DOS users that didn't go into the dark side that easily. I actually had a copy of MS DOS 6.1 on the 5 inch floppy's that were really floppy.