Windows 10 info

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rumor is that win10 will be free for win8 owners. At least for a little while.

The Windows 10 that will be offered free is only a one-year subscription. You will then have to pay every year after that just to keep your computer running.

It will also be offered to people with Win7. I can't recall about any other versions.

Personally, I find that Windows 7 does everything that I want/need a computer to do, so I'll just keep running that until Microsoft turns off support.  I'll look at my options when that happens.

Regards
John

I've heard a few rumors about 10 like it will make even older computers run faster. Then again every new OS is the best thing since sliced bread right.

Well when the win7 support fails and you get some kind or perminant hardware crash that can not be fixed ( years from now) will likely flip over to LINUX or ANDROID since those are either free or dirt cheap.

offroad said:
Well when the win7 support fails and you get some kind or perminant hardware crash that can not be fixed  ( years from now) will likely flip over to LINUX or ANDROID since those are either free or dirt cheap.

Yep!  That has been my plan too.  
Last time the hardware gave up before the conversion to Android (from XP or some-such) was desired. 

I ended up with Win 7 , on a used notebook, and have been VERY VERY pleased...  so far. 

I ran Ubuntu 32bit operating system on an old Windows XP laptop unit it died. Then I went and purchased a brand new HP laptop at WalMart for $200. The first day I deleted Windows 8.1 and installed Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64 bit operating system.

I don't miss Windows one bit (or 64 bit :~) I can open and save all MS Office files, browse the web, view and produce PDFs, even work PhotoShop images in GIMP and download and listen to music. All at no charge,,, Free! Although I gave (again 32 bit and 64 bit) the recommended donation of $16.00 and the donation to XNView. I've never gotten any ads, adware, or asked for anything from the Ubuntu operating system.

However if you have an iO/S (Apple) device there is no iTunes equivalent. You'll just be able to connect as a camera and get your photos.

Windows is dead to me, you can run Ubuntu and try it without installing it and change nothing on your computer. Or run Ubuntu along side another operating system (partitioned hard drive), or run it as a stand alone operating system. I've done it all three ways, and it works perfect and boots up on my laptop and sits with an idle hard drive in less then 60 seconds waiting for my next move.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Still having issues with this Win8.1 laptop. Getting closer to stripping it and loading Win7 on it. I'll do that once I get my new Win7 PC going. No sense running 8.1 at that point. Getting weary of the severe lacks in Win8.1......

I am not computer savvy, but I can say I detest Windows 8.1. I had 0 issues with Vista Pro or XP before I bought this laptop with 8.1. Maybe to some of the more technical minded it is a better system but I hate it..Interesting to see what 10 will change for "our good".

All I am going to say from my limited experience with it at my job.... "Smart Phone for Computers"

bobj said:
I am not computer savvy, but I can say I detest Windows 8.1. I had 0 issues with Vista Pro or XP before I bought this laptop with 8.1. Maybe to some of the more technical minded it is a better system but I hate it..Interesting to see what 10 will change for "our good".
From what I have read, Win10 (where did Win9 go?) will simply try to address a few of the most egregious and griped-about problems of Win8/8.1.  It will still be a stripped down small-device OS trying to  play in the full computer world.  If I were still in my IT job and they switched us to Win8/8.1, we'd be at a standstill, unable to get any productivity done.  Hope Win10 will be somewhat better.  But Win7 is still worlds better for a real computer.
It seems that MicroSloth is basically taking themselves out of the market for working computers.

*ahem* 7 ate 9.

In all fairness, Windows 7 is a lot better for some users. Windows 8 still has a lot of the same functions, they are just harder to find. Windows 10 on the other hand... it's a glorified smart phone OS.

They are devolving the OS for those who will buy it for entertainment and don't want to have a degree in computer science to web browse, stream video and check their email. They are fighting the same device camera makers are fighting, the cellphone. The functionality may be hidden somewhere for the serious user but it will confuse the average Joe, can't have that now can we.

So we have gone from my computer is faster and will do more to mine is easier to use. You don't have to understand much to push a button and if it breaks you can find someone to fix it or buy another.

Microsoft skipped version 9 because there was a lot of bad, third-party, code out there that checked for Windows 95 or 98 by only looking for the "9." Yes some of that code is still in use. Yes, Microsoft was willing to make themselves look stupid just to keep a few old programs working properly.

I am definitely NOT a Microsoft fanboy, but every once in a while they do something commendable.

I'm with Light Trip, I have been more than happy with Ubuntu since I switched and have even converted a family member who is not computer savvy at all to it after being frustrated from having to wait over an hour for Windows 7 to update and having endless driver issues with various printers. Ubuntu's UI is very intuitive, the OS is lightweight and low maintenance compared to Windows.

The only appeal Windows 10 has to me is as a gamer. From what I heard DirectX12 is only going to be on Windows 10, but with more game developers using AMD's Mantle API having the latest DX doesn't matter as much. Honestly no version of Windows strikes me as "user friendly", yes I liked 7's UI better than XP and 8.1. Despite being an all around bad OS, Windows ME/2000 was always the most "user familiar" to me because that's what I had when I started getting serious about computers.

Grant got the reason about the version skip correct. You might want to check out a few things before you try to swap 8.1 for 7. At least on some of the newer computers. Part of the identifier for the OS is written on the motherboard. I swapped 8 for 7 in an HP Pavilion with no problem but when i tried the same on this one when it was less than a week old, I open a big can of worms. First off, I never got 7 to load and boot. Then I went through Dell tech support for a while (hours on three different occasions) and they sent me two versions of the 8.1, which loaded up and booted fine but would not let me "activate" with Microsoft. I wound up shipping it to Dell, at their expense, and they replaced the motherboard so an OS could be loaded that coincided with the software identifier code written into the motherboard. And while I don't currently work in IT, I do have a trade school certificate to repair and upgrade computers and also am Network + certified. You can check out the Comptia site to verify the last part. So I am more than familiar with working on computers.

Okay, a quick question for those that know these things I have no clue about. I don't do gaming or anything fancy on my computer, mostly edit pictures and download occasionally. I bought this laptop with 8.1 and a Intel Celeron chip. It would make a great paperweight. Will 10 be worthwhile when I buy a better computer? 

Celeron isn't horrible for what you're doing, so I would't trash it. 10 should be a better fit than 8.1 though as it will be more user friendly. So upgrading to 10 should be your best bet since its free and will act like a new PC. It does have less power requirement than 7 or 8, so it should run slightly faster.

Win8/8.1 is still missing some critical applications and utilities that I need, and had on Win7. It seems my future will be,
1) Get the new WIn7 PC up and online.
2) Trash this mentally deficient cheapo Toshiba laptop (it has serious deficiencies over and beyond Win8.1) and get a proper Win7 laptop with more power and better usability. I will need to go online or to a pawnshop.....
Never thought my relatively meager uses would outstrip the latest computers. Sheesh. Already have a cellphone - do not need that OS on a working computer!

Latest posts