Wifi Amplifier or Cell Boost?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt71

Reaction score
I can use my cell phone as a mobile hotspot and have 18gb of data through Verizon.
I will be traveling in my car through Utah, Colorado, Northern Arizona and the California Coast. Will be staying at campgrounds with wifi as well as some without.

Will my money be better spent buying a cell signal booster like a weboost booster, or a wifi booster?

My thinking at the moment is a weboost since a Verizon cell signal is going to be more likely to find than free wifi. Does a weboost improve upload/download speeds, or just make it easier to access the cell service?

One of my worries with campgrounds is that I'm always reading about how crappy their wifi signals are, so that's why I'm also considering a wifi booster. I'd rather use a campgrounds wifi than my own cell data, but I want to make sure the signal is strong.

I don't really have the money for both.

I can't speak to the wifi booster, but as far as cell boosters, I installed this a couple weeks back...

https://www.smoothtalker.com/cellul...x2pro/mobile-x2-pro-kits-w-plug-in-cla-power/

It takes the cell signal from a spotty hit and miss 1 "bar" and turns it into a reliable 4 to 5. As long as there is any signal whatsoever, it boosts it greatly and down and uploads speeds are greatly improved. I went with this model as it has the highest allowable output without requiring a license. Made in Canada was important to me as well. Not cheap at just under $500.00, but my employer picked up the cost to allow me to be on call and still roam around the back country.

bcbullet said:
I can't speak to the wifi booster, but as far as cell boosters, I installed this a couple weeks back...

https://www.smoothtalker.com/cellul...x2pro/mobile-x2-pro-kits-w-plug-in-cla-power/

It takes the cell signal from a spotty hit and miss 1 "bar" and turns it into a reliable 4 to 5. As long as there is any signal whatsoever, it boosts it greatly and down and uploads speeds are greatly improved. I went with this model as it has the highest allowable output without requiring a license. Made in Canada was important to me as well. Not cheap at just under $500.00, but my employer picked up the cost to allow me to be on call and still roam around the back country.

Is that legal in the US? The FCC recently reduced the maximum boost allowed. The weboost is at 23db max gain and claims to be the most powerful available. The one you posted is at 53db max gain.

You can find my thread on the Wilson Sleek which is the last version of the weboost, does the same thing but cost less. It has certainly made a difference in all of my devices including the Verizon hotspot. Bob says pretty much the same on his blog post on them too. They really help.

The question is how much do you need to rely on the campgrounds wifi. Is the 18 gigs you get on the hotspot enough if you don't have wifi? How well does the hotspot pick up a signal?

My thought is wifi extenders can be easy to make, cell phone boosters not so much.

jimindenver said:
You can find my thread on the Wilson Sleek which is the last version of the weboost, does the same thing but cost less. It has certainly made a difference in all of my devices including the Verizon hotspot. Bob says pretty much the same on his blog post on them too. They really help.

The question is how much do you need to rely on the campgrounds wifi. Is the 18 gigs you get on the hotspot enough if you don't have wifi? How well does the hotspot pick up a signal?

My thought is wifi extenders can be easy to make, cell phone boosters not so much.

I'm really not sure how much data we'll actually use. I'm thinking that 18 gig will be enough, if we don't Netflix too much.
I'm thinking that a lot of campgrounds forbid you from using their wifi for streaming anyway, so there may not be a great deal of benefit from campground wifi anyway.

For me I think I would go for the booster and make a wifi extender DIY style.

WiFi boosting can be done rather cheaply. An Alfa usb card or any high powered wifi card that accepts antennas, coupled with a yagi antenna can get you some great range on wifi signals.

I'd go with a cell phone booster first, BUT I have unlimited data.