Rock solid WiFi configurations, plans and equipment

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been searching through the wifi chats on various boards, would still like to revisit my requirements and know what the best options are.

Does anyone know by what means I could access the Xfinity mesh of hotspots and connect / authenticate with my account?

Secondly, I have a Netgear WiFi router w 4 1GB lan ports and I would still like to use this. Obviously I can't provide an internet path to it via cable modem, but it does have 2.4 and 5gz so I might could use a DD-WRT AutoAP repeater type setup to connect to xfinity or open signals on one of the bands then NET on the other band for a home network.

I'm not really interested in paying for cell coverage but would consider this as a BU plan.

Most of the WiFi boosters and antenna things offered use a USB input to a single device and I would rather try to put that signal in to my Netgear router for multiple devices and wifi rebroadcast.

Bottom line - I'm looking for a way to use an external antenna to grep wifi long range and use free or paid internet in order to reliably work from home. If you are actually DOING THIS I'm very interested in your equipment and service. This is time sensitive and I need to test some solutions in the next week.

Please let me know about your successes or PM me if you don't want to state publicly.

Thanks in advance!

Most routers with the stock firmware can be a repeater, but DD-WRT is good too (requires a router with enough oomph to run it without being a bottleneck itself). I use a GL-inet AR300M in repeater mode for the van with 9db antennas. I just repeat my hotspot signal as I can get further away from the van. I run a couple of small servers in the van too.

You're just wanting to use someone else's wifi signal is the only difference. They make long range wifi antennas but they are usually directional. If your router's wall wart puts out 12V DC, I would suggest a buck/boost converter and run it straight from your house battery. You cut out two losses in conversion this way (12V-120V-12V).

Xfinity's wifi network I have only found in cities.

Thanks Brian, I appreciate your "boots on the ground" information.

I own a NetGear NightHawk 7500 V2 and in the past have used DD-WRT on several routers. I'm near to Microsoft and this place is saturated by WiFi, including xfinity. I'm looking to plug an external repeater - antenna in to the WAN port of my NightHawk and try to grep WiFi to reduce the amount of cell data I will need to use.

I'm of the opinion that I need to buy both WiFi and cell equipment and looking at how folks have configured their systems, how much this all costs, what is the most effect or reliable etc in order to WFH and be on OTG full time.

Of course I'll be using 12v and not wanting to hop through an inverter for something with a 12v plug anyways.

You should be able to have your router do both jobs at once so you are not using electricity unnecessarily by adding a second device. Have your router connect to the wifi source and turn on DHCP with a different SSID. Read up on AP Client Router Mode.

You don't have to do it the same way you would do it at home.
If you are using a laptop while you do this you really don't need anything except an external directional antenna with a USB connector that is made to plug into a computer. You could of course permanently mount the directional antenna so that the base rotates and bring the cable inside via a water proof cable clam such as is used for the wiring on radio antennas on a boat. All the log on is done with your laptop just the same as when you go to a wifi in a cafe and use your laptop or smart phone. You just need the external antenna that has its own built in set of software to connect to your laptop.

Here is an example of that kind of device.
https://www.amazon.com/USB-Yagi-directional-Antenna-802-11n-2200mW/dp/B003LLS5JI

Boondock Saint said:
Secondly, I have a Netgear WiFi router w 4 1GB lan ports and I would still like to use this.

SECOND TIME

B and C said:
You should be able to have your router do both jobs at once so you are not using electricity unnecessarily by adding a second device.  Have your router connect to the wifi source and turn on DHCP with a different SSID.  Read up on  AP Client Router Mode.

Thx Brian, I've done it every way you can imagine through the years including what you suggest. Right now I'm looking for for a WAN antenna and cell router or combo.

After 2 weeks in forums and countless hours in research and phone calls, I think I have the solution I want to try.

Essentially it would include Pepwave Max Br1 MK2 CAT-6 LTE-Advanced Mobile Router and some choice of AIO omni directions antenna or individual antennas.

This Br1 MK2 and antennas will essentially replace the cable modem and talk to the outside world in the ways I've prescribed. It will use the WiFi and cell data together for internet.

I would retain my NetGear NightHawk 7500 V2 as my wifi router and internal network with 4 1gb LAN ports and all the administration and security features I'm used to.

Between the MK2 and my own router there would then be multiple layers of firewall and filtering and NAT.

With regard to the MK2 I have to decide which type antennas to go with. Will I use the longer and more expensive antennas with higher gain or will I just use an AIO that's low profile and a single thing to mount up top.

I've looked at a myriad of products from hotspots to boosters etc and I feel like this is the best overall get it done right for my needs solution.

Some nomads liked cradlepoint routers in the past.

Latest posts