How do you get internet?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

protryon

Reaction score
I've been researching how to get reliable internet both in urban and rural areas, and I was wondering what you guys do for internet in your van.

Context: I'm going to have a full electrical & solar system in my van, along with networking and a desktop computer.
My thoughts so far:
I'll have a 2.4 gHz parabolic antenna (satellite dish) with amplifier to connect to public WiFi with superior strength and range.
I'll also have either a second antenna or use the same one for WiFi to use a 4G/LTE modem for cell phone internet. This will provide better connection, and higher speed. I can also relay it in the car to phones.
I can probably pay off some locals to let me use their un-speedcapped WiFi.

What do you do for internet?

I use my Verizon data plan on my cell phone and use the Mobile Hotspot feature to link my Kindle and my laptop to it.

Even when sitting in a W/M parking lot I use my own hotspot because it's more secure than a public wi-fi and I don't have to worry about signal strength.

There's only been a couple of times this past winter when I wasn't able to get satisfactory cell service to be able to access the internet.

I am seldom in urban areas except when travelling through.

Because I was use to camping at extreme altitudes in the Rocky mountains I have something on all four carriers since you never know which carriers signal will reach you at any point. At times in fact what works in one spot may not a relatively short distance away. I started it to be able to stay in contact with my customers before I went full time. I've continued it because it is how I now stay connected and get my entertainment.

You would think it cost a fortune but if you look in the communications section you can find a number of threads by me showing how I do it resulting in having unlimited data on all four carriers for a total of under $57 a month plus a handful of devices that give me smaller amounts of data at no charge a month. An example is the last one I need to order is a ZTE Mobley that will provide unlimited AT&T data for $20 a month.

In my van, the Verizon hotspot on my iPhone. In the big moho, in addition to the hotspot, I have a wifi repeater setup that I can use if there's open wifi available.

protryon said:
I'll also have either a second antenna or use the same one for WiFi to use a 4G/LTE modem for cell phone internet.

I seriously doubt you can use the same antenna for both.  Cell phones operate in the megahertz range, wifi in the gigahertz range.  You will almost certainly need two different antennas.