Who's NOT using an inverter?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An inverter with a 12v 15 A output, about 1800 watts, is probably not a Dodge factory inverter.

I'd assume that it's probably 15 A input, around 150-200 watts output for charging laptops and such.

I was just making the case for being clear in our communications, so assuming or deducing is not required.

John61CT said:
I was just making the case for being clear in our communications, so assuming or deducing is not required.

Agreed, but we do get a lot of 'open ended' questions....and its up to us to figure out the 'missing' information sometimes.

Assumption and deduction are often part-and-parcel of this process.

I find I use my inverter almost every day. I often use a microwave for a couple minutes (literally, usually 2 minutes) per day when warming up lunch. I'm also using my inverter to run my laptop just because my DC-based power supply for my laptop was stolen and I haven't bothered purchasing a replacement yet.

When I build my rig I will not have an inverter on it. There will be a 120vac supply on the generator of course but that will only be for using my power tools; I dislike battery powered tools, I'm old school and I'll never change. I've used inverters in the past but as technology advances I can see less and less of a need for them. Also, I do like old technology that takes no electrical power at all; think stainless steel coffee pot or popcorn basket or toast basket on an open cook fire.

frater secessus said:
I do have a small (300W) inverter for charging cordless tools,

This brings to mind a question I've been wondering about. Charging batteries for cordless tools. Does it take longer via inverter vs 110v wall socket?
Also, is it a huge drain? Thanks.

No, and No, if your main House bank is a normal 100+AH.

Ideal with solar or genny use is the "opportunity" load dump setup.

John61CT said:
No, and No, if your main House bank is a normal 100+AH.

Ideal with solar or genny use is the "opportunity" load dump setup.

Cool, I've been picking up a few Dewalt cordless tools thinking they might be handy. I was at a trailer sales place a month or so ago and saw one of the guys using a Dewalt impact gun for R&Ring wheels on the trailers and thought I've got to get one of those. Haven't yet though. :(

I used to use a 110v rice cooker daily, but I've moved away from that.

An inverter is nice to have for random emergencies like when my laptop 12v adapter went out, I had to use the 110v one until I could get a replacement.

I'm really liking the replacement adapter I got btw - I have a gaming laptop that draws more current than a standard adapter will put out. None of those adapters really looked made to last long anyway. I upgraded to this one, though most people would be fine with the smaller version:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4109JD/

Most laptops, many monitors, tvs, and other gadgets are 19vdc these days. That one adapter is running my laptop and monitor now and the output is cleaner than the old one. I used to get a beeping sound out of the headphone jack, that is gone.

Also, if you want to carry a charged jumpstart powerpak, many now have both USB and 19V converted output, in addition to native 12V.

Motrukdriver said:
When I build my rig I will not have an inverter on it.  There will be a 120vac supply on the generator of course but that will only be for using my power tools; I dislike battery powered tools

I also dislike battery powered tools because the batteries aren't charged when I want to use them.  I got a Harbor Freight 400/800.  I used the battery clips and a #16 cheap extension cord.  My soldering iron, drill and jig saw work fine.  

Some of the work was done in the Ace Hardware parking lot.  The Maxx Fan needed different fasteners so I bought some screws, installed them then went back in to get what I needed next.  I would be reluctant to run a generator to drill the next hole.

Ballenxj said:
Charging batteries for cordless tools. Does it take longer via inverter vs 110v wall socket?
Also, is it a huge drain? Thanks.

The charger that came with my Ryobi tools uses 50w, so even a very small inverter could run it.

"Who's NOT using an inverter?"

Not me.

Anything I carry that isn't 12V like power tools, air compressor, vacuum get plugged into my propane genny. I cook and heat with propane anyway so no additional fuels to fuss with.

At the time, adding two additional batteries and more solar panels and alternator charging equipment was (is?) more expensive then just adding a generator.

Who knows, someday I might want to change.

It has not been determined if I am using an inverter.  It's possible I'm using a converter only.  Solar was added to the class b many years ago, and I don't believe the previous owner installed an inverter.  I'll need to do that when I upgrade.  The current set-up works but is it a very low power system.

RVTravel said:
Matlock, which propane generator do you use?

Sportsman 2,000-Watt Dual Fuel, runs on LPG or Gas. From Home Depot on sale, like half of current pricing, Watch for sales at the end of the year. :D