Who's NOT using an inverter?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayble

Reaction score
I see so many people asking about inverters, but I'm stumped as to why I'd actually need one.  I think the one AC-only device I use in my house is a rechargeable toothbrush, and I'll probably swap that for one that takes replaceable batteries when I move into the van.

TV/DVD combo is AC/DC
Refrigerator is AC/DC
Laptop, tablet, hotspot, cell phone, etc all have 12v or usb chargers
My puck lights, lantern, headlamps, flashlights, etc are either battery powered, solar powered or have usb chargers

I must be missing something.  Should I plan to include an inverter?

Nice thing about an inverter besides ease of use for household devices, is that you can run longer cables.

I have some equipment that is natively 12v, but I need to run it away from the van (telescope equipment). Even though it is inefficient, I use an inverter to go to 110v, then have a 25 ft extension cord, and then a 12v power supply to have everything work at 12v again.

Mayble , I have inverters but I seldom use them with one exception. If you don't need one then you don't need one.

I have a Black and Decker plug in inverter (100 watt) that I use to keep my laptop charged. Mostly I plug it in to the dash accessory plug while I drive but I've kept the laptop charged for up to 3 days without starting the engine with no ill effects. I only use it because I have no 12V cord for my laptop. The last time I tried to get a 12V cord they were out of stock for my laptop and the price on the universal adapter was beyond my willingness to pay for it.

I also hardwired in a 400 W inverter when I did the electrical cupboard but it is seldom used. It's hooked up to a switch on the wall over the bed so that I can turn it on and off at will - no power drain if I'm not using it. I put it in so that I DID have access to 120 if I needed it. I kept a couple of my 120V appliances - immersion blender and a really small veggie chopper. Oh and a coffee grinder I use for spices and dehydrated foods. In 2 years of full-timing, I think I've used it a half dozen times and mostly  just because I could. But then I also wired my van for 120v  to two duplex outlets so that I could use 120V when I was hooked up to shore power or the generator was running.

I've noticed that too. Inverters are a frequent topic of discussion, but for me they're hardly even on my radar. I have one, but it's most common usage is charging a DSLR camera battery because I haven't connected the DC charger yet. Everything else is DC: fridge, roof fan, water pump, lights, usb ports.

I also thought I'd need one but have only used it a couple of times. My TV and PS3 are not 12V so I have it for that. I thought I'd use it for the microwave but I'm finding I can get by with out it and rarely use it unless I'm actually plugged in. I actually don't use the TV/PS3 much when I'm boondocking as it does use quite a lot of power through the inverter. (One movie was 17% of a 400AH battery bank).

I still have my rechargable toothbrush and use a 400W inverter in my truck while driving to charge it or using the 12V outlet in my RV. Same with charging my laptop. I'd get a small one for $20 and keep your toothbrush as replaceable batteries in electric toothbrushes get expensive and they don't last very long compared to the inbuilt battery.

bardo said:
17%?

did you mean 1.7%

The percentage of the battery used would depend on the size of the battery and it's condition, the inverter (the larger it is the more the waste draw) and of course the length of the movie.

Yes, I could see a smaller battery system with a large inverter and a long movie taking 17% of the battery power!

I don't use one. My stuff is powered mostly like yours.

bardo said:
17%?

did you mean 1.7%

No, I meant 17% of 400AH battery bank which is only 6 months old. It dropped from 99% full to 82% full in just one 2 hour movie...and remember TV and my PS3 which I've heard are power hogs. I didn't think it would be so much either.

I cringe every time I see a newcomer's wishlist include 100W of panel, a walmart battery, and a 2000W inverter.  I don't think they understand how quickly AC loads can flatten a bank.  Or even how big the parasitical loads can be.

I do have a small (300W) inverter for charging cordless tools, etc, but overall I agree with sternwake's (?) Inverters Are Evil dictum.  There are exceptions of course, but I thinks folks in the planning stages would do well to avoid AC loads unless shore power is available.

Edited to add this:  the inverter runs on opportunity circuit, which only activates when the bank is well into Absorption.

DuneElliot said:
No, I meant 17% of 400AH battery bank which is only 6 months old. It dropped from 99% full to 82% full in just one 2 hour movie...and remember TV and my PS3 which I've heard are power hogs. I didn't think it would be so much either.

That's around 68 ah, (over 800 wh, or nearly a kwh!) and that is probably a monitor calibration error as we addressed a few weeks back.

I just dont think its likely for that much drain from a couple of entertainment devices in a 2 hour period, unless you have a really big plasma TV or something equally power hungry.

If you look at the electrical (or UL) label of those two items, I'm fairly certain they pull much less power (even with inverter power figured in) than the battery monitor is reporting.

if you don't need an inverter all the better. I have one and barely use it. highdesertranger

Had a 1000w inverter when we were just in the van... realized having an inverter that big was pointless and a waste for us. Now that we are in the trailer, I don’t have any reason to buy one.. if I need to charge anything I have one 12 volt port that I can plug a tiny energizer inverter into.

DuneElliot said:

ehhhh....what was the voltage reading? I had a percent monitor thing that did that too.

EDIT: measured consumption of PS3 slim while playing a game is about 75w and a 20" TV usually around 25-35w

a movie of 120m should be around 15-20A or 3-5%

Most people don't even know their gadgets run at low DC voltages, and just think they "need an outlet" to plug their charger / power brick in.

tx2sturgis said:
That's around 68 ah, (over 800 wh, or nearly a kwh!) and that is probably a monitor calibration error as we addressed a few weeks back.

I just dont think its likely for that much drain from a couple of entertainment devices in a 2 hour period, unless you have a really big plasma TV or something equally power hungry.

If you look at the electrical (or UL) label of those two items, I'm fairly certain they pull much less power (even with inverter power figured in)  than the battery monitor is reporting.

Yeah, and remember I didn't understand half of what was said. I have a 42" LCD TV. Hopefully I'll meet with some people at the RTR that can tell me what I'm actually using and how to fix the monitor calibration.

bardo said:
ehhhh....what was the voltage reading? I had a percent monitor thing that did that too.

EDIT: measured consumption of PS3 slim while playing a game is about 75w and a 20" TV usually around 25-35w

a movie of 120m should be around 15-20A or 3-5%

As mentioned above, it's a 42" LCD TV.

I understand how the solar set-up works but when people start talking about volts and amps and watts and such I tend to go cross-eyed and really don't get it. I'm not exactly a dummy either.

I don't need one. For occasional large power draws on a small - medium sized system a generator may be the better option.

Google for DC electric 101 primers and howto's.

Lots of good books also available.It's not rocket science, just takes some time and effort.

mayble said:
I see so many people asking about inverters, but I'm stumped as to why I'd actually need one . . . 

A 15A inverter came with my truck; 2012 Ram PU.  I use it for two things: 1. to recharge my electric shaver, 2. to run a battery charger while driving if solar won't keep up (only needed it once).  All my electric gismos have 12 chargers.

15A input or output?

Better to quote inverter capacity in watts