Anybody try these? [Ryobi Inverter Product]

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 37446

Reaction score

I saw this on a camping channel where the guy was using a Bestek 300 psw and he had one of these as well. Since he did not have an Amazon product link, he didn't have anything to gain. He mentioned that for the small stuff, since he already had several Ryobi 18V batteries, this was handy. No car/van/truck needed to power it of course.​

Note, this is a Ryobi knockoff… the real one is nearly 2x the price.​

150W Powered Inverter Generator for Ryobi 18V Lithium Battery,ryobi Battery Inverter Power Station with 2-USB&AC 110V-120v,Power Inverter with 200LM LED Light USB Cable​

Visit the URUN Store
4.2 4.2 out of 5 stars 72 ratings

| 10 answered questions

$40.90

I have used Ryobi tools and batteries and honestly they have worked but the failure rate/quality and economics is an issue. They were a cheaper and an easy solution until this year when Home Depot stopped doing in store warranty after 60/90 days. It now is a complex process that many would have difficulty getting through in my opinion.

I can get that type of device to use with my 18v Makita batteries. They are now available from less expensive aftermarket sources for most of the common power tool brands of batteries.

I have used Ryobi tools and batteries and honestly they have worked but the failure rate/quality and economics is an issue.

Exactly why I have quit using Ryobi cordless stuff...every single Ryobi lithium battery I've had suffered a death inside of a year, and it was always unexpected. Will work fine all day long, then suddenly it won't charge anymore. Sure, they're dirt cheap in comparison to the others, but over the long term I ended up spending FAR more on "cheap" Ryobis than I have on Ridgid batteries. I could usually get them back temporarily by "jumping" them with 18V to get the "smart" chargers to charge them again, but having lithium cells drop below a minimum voltage is a very dangerous thing, as is "jumping" them like this. Regardless, it was always a short term fix at best.

Even their corded tools aren't really much of a value any more. I tore through a few 4.5" angle grinders, getting about 8 months each out of them before the bevel drive would let go. Then picked up an even cheaper Black & Decker from Walmart. That B&D grinder is still working great 3 years later. Picked up a Ryobi gas pressure washer a few years ago, and the pressure relief valve failed a month later. Called up service saying just send me a new valve...nope, no can do. I have to drive it to the nearest service center - 150 miles away. Seriously? Phoenix doesn't have an "authorized service center", but Lake Havasu does? WTF?

So yeah...failure rate and economics are definitely an issue, lol.

I bought my 1st Makita 18v drill and drill driver set circa 2010. The original charger and battery both still work just fine. I did buy a larger capacity battery a few years ago just so that I do not have to switch the battery after drilling when I want to drive in a fastener.

Maybe I will put onto my Christmas wish one of those inverters that fit onto the battery. I park my trailer in the sun for solar but in summer I like to setup a table and chairs in the shade under the forest trees. It might be nice to have the option of tapping into that battery power while hanging out in the shade without hauling out heavier and bulkier power sources.

Hmmm, I haven't lost a Ryobi battery or tool yet, at least not in the last 4 years. Before then I had B&D, and they usually crapped out in a year.

It really usually comes down to extended use or over loading. Before I could just do an in store (Home Depot) return but not after 60/90 days now depending on the warranty.

Agree.
One thing I have learned is that putting the battery in the fridg after extended use and before recharging, seems to help it.

My Humble Request:
We work+ full-time+, our Internet time is limited and expensive.
Please, put the subject in the thread title.
This eliminates looking through a thread for the subject.
And I would think that discourages spam:
* "What Do You Think Of This!", then proceeds to tout their magical snake-oil.
Now, before anybody says I am picking on today's magical snake-oil in particular, I pick on magical snake-oil with zero discrimination, with zero interest in neither creed nor nation of origin.
Nor sex nor lack of.

It’s a modified sine wave, it will damage electronics. Neat idea if it was a PSW.

Last edited:
Best cheap psw (IMHO) is the Bestek 300 watt. About $40 give or take. I have one and it is the real deal.

BESTEK 300W Power Inverter DC 12V to 110V AC Car Inverter with 4.2A Dual USB Car Adapter​

Visit the BESTEK Store
4.6 4.6 out of 5 stars 30,487 ratings
| 1000+ answered questions
Amazon's Choice in Power Inverters by BESTEK
-27% $34.74
My Humble request (2)

First, I agree with Large Marge about threads (especially like this one) needing a descriptive heading.
Next, the originator posted the original recommendation. Fine. I'm sure it was made in a spirit of "sharing." To continue to do so makes it spam.
If this forum becomes largely a sales pitch, it will no longer be of interest to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.