Ryobi One+18v Power Tools. Which ones do you carry?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbearded

Reaction score
Just getting started on buying Ryobi power tools (cordless only) to carry with me in my travels and wondering which ones folks have found useful on the road? So far I have bought these ones which seemed like possibilities:
ryobi-power-tool-combo-kits-p1984n-64_100.jpg

Impact driver (brushless) 
Drill (brushless)
Angle Grinder (brushless) 
Flashlight ("free" with kit) ($220 on sale)
ryobi-power-tool-combo-kits-p1904n-64_100.jpg

Glue Gun  (was $30 on it's own and the kit was cheaper than the sum of it's parts by about $40 so I sprung for the kit...)
Trim Router
Palm Sander Kit ($100 for the kit)
ryobi-inflators-p738-64_100.jpg

Low pressure inflator Saw a video from Adventure van with someone using it as a bellows to fan a fire to life :) and it was like $30. Also seems great for blowing out small areas of dog hair/dust/loose dirt.
ryobi-inverter-generators-ryi150bg-64_100.jpg

150w AC inverter/Generator with USB ports. Seems awesome so far and with the 9AH batteries keeps my phone charged for ages it seems. (takes about 3+ hours to charge up the 9AH battery though...)

2x 3AH Battery Kit this came with the inverter as an addon for about $100

2x 9AH Battery Kit on sale these are like $70 per battery which seemed pretty good :)

I'm looking at these as possibilities for the future:

Multi-Tool 
LED Searchlight 
Hybrid fan
Supercharger battery charger (mostly to keep all the batteries organized and charged up.)
Cordless tire inflator (I carry a CO2 tank with me so I can already fill tires so this is low on the list)
Caulk gun seems interesting as I have a travel trailer
Hybrid water transfer pump If I ever get a water bladder for filling the RV while boondocking
the small chainsaw seems interesting too but that is a real stretch for me and would be an emergency situation mostly

interesting thread

myself i keep it simple i just carry the brushless drill and the 6.5" circular saw

i have considered adding a sander but have not pulled the trigger

i also think sometimes about the bigger inflator, but it just is not big enough for my big tires

The glue gun is unlikely to work out for anything other than some crafts or temporary holding power. Unless you are using a polyurethane hot glue the temperatures inside of a van sitting in the sun will soften the craft quality hot glue stick materials and what you were trying to hold together will fall apart under that condition.

If your build is already completed you will get little use out of them. The same is true of the router. But if you are planning on picking up construction jobs along the way I can see taking all those tools along. People often seem to buy and bring along more things than will ever be used more than on rare occasions.

maki2 said:
The glue gun is unlikely to work out for anything other than some crafts or temporary holding power. Unless you are using a polyurethane hot glue the temperatures inside of a van sitting in the sun will soften the craft quality hot glue stick materials and what you were trying to hold together will fall apart under that condition.

If your build is already completed you will get little use out of them. The same is true of the router.  But if you are planning on picking up construction jobs along the way I can see taking all those tools along. People often seem to buy and bring along more things than will ever be used more than on rare occasions.
You absolutely do not need a battery powered caulk gun.

nobody needs any of this stuff. some of us want to have the convenience of some of these power tools

and as for a battery powered caulking gun, coming from someone with severe carpal tunnel syndrome. that would be a sweet tool to have if i need to do some caulking

everyone has different levels of need and want

Toss the impact driver, glue gun, sander, trim router unless you are not strong enough to bust the lug nuts on your vehicle, glue gun sander and trim router unless you are doing work on the road. As for the chainsaw nope bow saw will get you out of a bind if used right then again if you are doing work with trim router I would suggest a reciprocating saw in place of the chainsaw to get two uses out of it.

The best thing about Ryobi for me is the new one batteries and chargers especially the one that charges the 18 volt batteries from a vehicle (12 volt). This allows me to charge from a jumper pack or solar battery bank without using a generator or inverter. I use the little tire inflator even though it is slow and gets hot, it is compact and slapping a battery in is a lot easier than alligator clips and a cord plus it has a fairly accurate gauge. The improved 1/2" impact again gets hot with extended use but is much easier than a four way for running lugs on or off. The biggest downfall of the Ryobi tools is heat build up for me. I bought an Arctic Cool misting fan a few days ago that sets on a five gallon bucket of water and uses Ryobi one system batteries so other companies are starting to offer items that use batteries I already have. I have used their table type lamps in my camper before I had solar and continue to use them as they work well. Their dual source fan which is very similar to the Arctic Cool has provided plenty of ventilation and circulation with the large batteries 8 hours which is impressive and allows me to keep my solar bank up while still having them run all night and charging during the day. Their tools may not be as durable as some other brands but using a Home Depot credit card to purchase them with the exchange warranty means I can get a new or improved version when it breaks at any Home Depot.

The only 18 volt ryobi tool I got is the hot glue gun, I use it to install foam insulation and also for building my swamp coolers. It goes with me everywhere, I also carry a spare 120 volt 60 watt glue gun. Better to have a hot gluegun and not need it, then need one and not have it.
Even the cheap glue sticks stick well, the front of my van reaches temps of 150 degrees and never had any of my foam insulation fall off.

Drill,
Rattle gun,
Recip saw,
Fan, and
Leaf blower.

Leaf blower gets most use. I blow out the campervan sometimes twice a day; beats dust pan and broom. Blow off the vehicle dash board and foot wells. Blow the leaves off the solar panels. Blow the leaf litter from the camp site. Starts camp fires really well. Blows the dust off the camera and computer keyboard really well.

Rattle gun getting mor use as I find more things to do with it. Everything from scissor jacks to wind down trailer jockey wheels to wheel nuts. Even used it to drive one of those Power Planter miniature post hole drills. Was helping friend plant 400 seedling trees and saved trying to use s trowel to dig the holes for the seedlings.

Gypsy Freedom said:
what are you calling a rattle gun?
The 360 Nm 3 speed Impact driver.    What I like about it is that the impact function only comes in when it needs to break something free.   When winding jockey wheels up or down or on the scissor jack, it operates just like a drill.

I have a drill and impact driver. I could get by without the impact driver, but a friend sold them as a pair at a ridiculously low price. As for other power tools, I have enough well-equipped friends on the road to borrow them from. There were maybe two times I wished I had an angle grinder, but I was able to put off those jobs until connecting with one of my buddies.

Oh, and I have a cheap tire inflator.

What I'd really like access to is a table saw, band saw, drill press, lathe, sanding station, big work surface, spray booth, couple of floor jacks, big air compressor...

I really like the idea of a leaf blower. I have a 20V model that I got at Costco that we use to blow off the patio here. I do carry a small 120V chainsaw (off a long handled limb trimmer) that I have used to cut up downed wood for a fire (built in generator). I originally brought it along in case a tree fell blocking my way out. I didn't want to spend a day trying to cut one up manually. I carry a 3/4 axe and a folding bow saw to supplement.

MrNoodly said:
What I'd really like access to is a table saw, band saw, drill press, lathe, sanding station, big work surface, spray booth, couple of floor jacks, big air compressor...

...CNC machine, vehicle lift, floor maintainer, tire changing machine, media blasting cabinet, parts washer, powder coating oven, shop air vacuum system, radial arm saw, overhead 20 ton crane, hydraulic press, TIG welder....oh the list goes on....

Not sure any of those are available as Ryobi One+ tools...yet.

;)

I use Milwaukee M12 tools because they share the same battery as my heated vest. I have a cheap 7 volt? Black & Decker that has held up well over the years. I have 18 volt brushless impacts & drills from other various sales. I’m surprised nobody uses M12 heated clothing.