home depot Ryobi set, deal or no deal? And

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyndi

Reaction score
I don't have solar yet. Can it be charged with the van's cigarette ligher thingy?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ON...d-Vac-Kit-P1889/206736726?keyword=Ryobi+p1889

Ryobi introduces the 18-Volt ONE+ Lithium-Ion Combo Kit with Bluetooth Radio, an online only Special Buy available while supplies last. This combo kit provides a variety of lifestyle tools including a Radio with Bluetooth wireless technology, Hand Vacuum and a Hybrid Fan. It also includes an 18-Volt ONE+ Compact Lithium-ion Battery and a Dual Chemistry Charger which charges included batteries in as little as 1 hour. Best of all, like every Ryobi 18-Volt ONE+ blue or green tool, the tools in this combo kit works with any 18-Volt ONE+ battery.

No. And why is there a 5 letter minimum for the reply?

Presumably that comes with a 120v charger so you could charge it with your cigarette lighter thingy plus a power inverter. Which, the same would be true if you did have solar, except you would not be as much limited to charging only while driving.

Yes, Ryobi sells a 12 volt charger with a cigarette lighter plug. I use the Ryobi tools a lot so I bought it, but you have to decide if it's worth the money to you. They recharge perfectly well off an inverter so it may not be worth the cost. Have you checked out the fan? It works extremely well and I recommend it. I like that it is so easy to place but that means it's wide so it takes up more room.

I'm not sure that is a good deal on the kit, I'd compare buying them separately. The kit only comes with one battery and by getting them separately you might get more batteries for the same price. Batteries are expensive and the fan will eat the little ones up.
Bob

One the downside, I think you'll need to spend upwards of $260 to make that kit worthwhile... $100 for kit + $100 batteries ( http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-ONE-18-Volt-High-Capacity-LITHIUM-Battery-2-Pack-P122/204321540 ) + $60 for charger ( https://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-P131--...=1467541206&sr=8-1&keywords=ryobi+car+charger )

On the upside, you'll have a good battery set and can buy additional Ryobi items "bare bones" ...without batteries. Ryobi has spammed the cordless market with such a huge variety of useful items in the past couple years that at times I find it difficult to resist getting sucked back into their ecosystem...

I have Ryobi drill and driver set. Excellent product at the price point. I don't know if ryobi, but most lithium chargers need pure sine wave inverters. When I find my meter I will check draw on the Ryobi charger i have.

Even at $260 for a set of tools, multiple batteries, and a 12 volt charger, that's a pretty good deal. In most other brands you would probably pay double that. But be careful, now that they have so many tools that work with the same systems it can be addictive. I currently have 12 different Dewalt 18 volt tools, and more than that in batteries, along with several means of charging them. I use them most every day professionally so they are worth it to me, but I would probably still own them even if I wasn't working in the trades. Most of them travel with me and they are especially handy on the road since I don't own a generator to power the corded tools.

"The Ryobi 18-Volt ONE+ In-Vehicle Charger is compatible with all Ryobi 18-Volt ONE+ NiCd and lithium-ion batteries. For your convenience, you just plug it into your car's 12-Volt DC outlet. It only takes 30 minutes to fully charge your batteries."

Thanks, for your input. I'll ponder it further.

No worries about turning a tool hoarder. I just don't like them that much. I definitely can use a radio (no tunes in the van) a vacuum (dog!) And a fan.

I just bought a cool little radio on clearance at Wallyworld.
Midland AM-FM-Weather, Alert. Plus a dual brightness LED flashlight (plus morse code SOS ,,,but its programmed wrong -HMS ....,--,... !)
It will charge from a USB micro (plus it will charge a phone etc) or solar or it has a crank !
$19 ,,,,it was $40 before.

I also got a Battery powered fan that uses 8 batteries,,,,=12v so I made a cord to plug it into the rig,,$16.
It's about 10 inches wide and pretty quiet too. I think it was called O2Cool??

I didn't get a vacuum though...................

2X on the Ryobi 12V charger, I have one, keep it in the RV. Works great and I get to charge my batteries with my solar panels...

The vacuums don't work all that well, and you don't need a High energy 18V battery for a radio, but it is a bluetooth boom box. The fan might be nice. You get a lot for $100, but this is only worth buying if you have the tools and could use another battery and charger. This would be a better deal with the 12V charger.

I paid $20 just for a trucker 12V fan that takes D-cells and a rechargeable would be better.