ryobi mister

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_sailing

Reaction score
Now that I have the 2 battery set for Ryobi..  I may as well put them to use. I was looking at the regular fan and then saw this misting fan. I watched a couple reviews on youtube but am curious if any of YOU have experience with them?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18-Volt-ONE-Bucket-Top-Misting-Fan-Kit-PMF01K/312025245

Would or did you buy the regular Ryobi fan or go for the misting version?

Do you know if the misting fan still performs well without water for times when it is scarce?

Would it be nasty to recycle the grey water with this or use creek/river water?

The standard Ryobi fan can be plugged into shore power and run by battery. I bought it before buying the Artic mister fan which uses Ryobi batteries. Later on Ryobi started making their own version. The fan is a little bulky as it is and the pump make it more so but only if you use it off the bucket. Mine has two switches one for fan and one for the pump so you can use just the fan. I wouldn’t recommend using the mister in doors as it puts out a lot of moisture. One reason I have two so that with the mister outside in the door way I can really cool off then just inside the door the regular fan dries me off and cools without getting everything wet. Just depends where you will use them I guess. I only use clean water as I don’t like cleaning out mister nozzles.

bullfrog said:
The standard Ryobi fan can be plugged into shore power and run by battery. I bought it before buying the Artic mister fan which uses Ryobi batteries. Later on Ryobi started making their own version. The fan is a little bulky as it is and the pump make it more so but only if you use it off the bucket. Mine has two switches one for fan and one for the pump so you can use just the fan. I wouldn’t recommend using the mister in doors as it puts out a lot of moisture. One reason I have two so that with the mister outside in the door way I can really cool off then just inside the door the regular fan dries me off and cools without getting everything wet. Just depends where you will use them I guess. I only use clean water as I don’t like cleaning out mister nozzles.
 Just got home from picking it up at home depot. That place really has some terrible employees. Some stars as well. Worker girl child told me they didnt have any when she looked on her phone/device. Even tho I checked once again online before going all the way over. I went to the front desk place and the young lady  knew exactly what I wanted.. she wants one as well... and found that there were 28 of them in stock! She took me directly to them and sure enough stacks of them.

I finished getting assorted items I still needed and then went to the checkout line of the person who told me they didn't have any. I made sure to let her know.. that if you don't know for sure. then don't say NO..if your @ss don't know it to be true. There is no harm in "not knowing"  just refer them to someone who can help. I parted with thanking her for NOT working in medicine.

I just grabbed a bucket and started this bad boy up.. and wow.. you are so right about the moisture... even on low it produces a ton of mist. There is no way the misting component can be used inside. I saw your post before I set it up and thought you were maybe exaggerating. You were NOT..by an measure. It dumps the water.... I can't even imagine using it on high flow.

I flipped through the manual... I hope that maybe I can change the droplet size?  Even from 5 feet away the droplets are quite large... and when you get hit with 100 of them..not so pleasant. I do have 2 of the 4ah batteries.. so I could use the regular fan inside as you do. Thanks for pointing that out.  It is kind of bulky... and I was just whining on another thread about storage and no room for food...LOL

I've got more work to do out there and so this will be a good test today. I am thinking on the high water speed I could get wet enough to bathe and rinse?

That mister will be a life saver in summer....just park yourself outside in the shade and encase your novel in a baggie (put the baggie opening at the bottom and don't zip it closed, so you can turn pages without exposing the book to the mister). Afterward, just wipe down with baby wipes and you should be cool and clean.

I usually use the low speed for the mister pump and high speed for the fan and adjust how wet I want to get by moving my chair at the very edge of droplets while still getting some mist and lots of cool moist air. Yes I have used it and a towel to freshen up! I thought about setting it on a table to gain some height and use it as a shower but never have.

Since it using soo much water. I do not think this is a very practical item at all.. at least for folks that are going to be more remote. I can't find the formal gpm and some folks are indicating they run through5 gallons in 3 hours... that's brutal.  I would rather take a cool shower for 1.5 gallons and be freshened and not have the rig soaked.

If I am on a limited water supply in the desert.. I sure the heck aint running a misting fan over drinking. With a berkey and a stream or lake nearby it would be fine.. otherwise don't waste your money  people it uses way too much water. Can I take it back because I dont like it?   I guess I can just use the fan component and luxuriate on occassion. I think the fan itself was 50 and the misting was 90.

Does the regular standalone fan offer more power than the misting fan?

I would check with Home Depot. I would explain it uses more water than you thought it would. I usually make my purchases with a Home Depot credit card and returns are no problem. The regular fan is cheaper and also can be used with an extension cord. It is like the mister as far as noise is concerned, a little loud in high but moves about the same amount of air, or maybe a little more as the battery doesn’t have to run the mister pump. Yes any swamp cooler or mister will use more water than most want to carry. Here in the National Park I have an unlimited supply of clean fresh water and with temps above 100 degrees it is literally a life saver.

I have one of these and it's a life saver during high temperatures. Originally I bought it when I worked outside four days a week selling at swap meets. 

Yes, it can use a lot of water as the mister inserts can't be too small as it's battery powered and that would add resistance/pressure. The secret is to use the mist for a very short while and then turn it off, allowing the fan to evaporate the water that lands on you. Leaving the mist on constantly just makes things too wet.

My main van broke down, and I was forced to use a van that didn't have working ac and the windows didn't work. It felt like I was driving a toaster oven on high. I put the mister fan in the passenger foot area where I could reach the buttons and turned the fan on, using the mist sparingly as the water dried up. That worked great and really saved me during that time.

I think if you want to run through water and have a soggy ground area, leave the mister on. If your want to use it for cooling down, it works great if you don't mind flipping the misting switch here and there. Also, using it like that doesn't use hardly any water at all. The batteries last a long time with this fan whether it's fan/mist or just fan.

Pro missing fan tip: you can put the water suction tip into a standard water bottle. I used to use either a liter drinking water bottle or a gallon bottle. Well worth the buy if used in this way, and it can sit on any flat surface as well as a five gallon bucket. I found myself using the five gallon as a stand and had a smaller water bottle sitting inside of it lol

My two cents

Happy camper

So I took this bad boy back today.

I didn't pick up the regular fan. I did look at it on display and did not see the speed setting button at all. The misting fan had only low.. which was near worthless and high which was sooo loud and I did not think very effective at moving the air.

In fact it was like those people that are all talk and no action.

I would NOT recommend this product even if my water and electricity were unlimited.
Its bulky, it uses alot of water, it is very loud. droplet size is ginormous..its like getting squirted in the face with a squirt gun over and over.. I tested it on my neighbors.. everyone scowled and moved away from the mist.  LOL its not pleasant. Maybe this one was faulty?

The best thing was that it I could use the 4ah battery on it and move it anywhere... the further away the better... not joking.

The regular fan also only has high and low speeds and is noisy but with the large 9 amp battery will run all day. When max air flow is necessary and no plug in power is available it is one of the few inexpensive options. The older mister unit uses a lot of water and does spit out droplets as well as mist but by no means a steady stream, the new Ryobi mister fans apparently do as the one at work does that was put in service about a week ago. Might be a good thing if you are trying to maintain social distancing! Lol!!!

I have a fan anyway, so if I need to, I absolutely do wear my T-shirt wet. Getting some piece of your clothing wet and sitting in front of a fan is like napping in the refrigerator. Wet hair or a wet hat works really well too.