A 1,500 Watt PSW inverter that can surge to 3,400 Watts

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boyntonstu

Reaction score
The Tiger Claw Inverter is amazing!
[font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]knurlgnar24  is one of the most experienced inverter experts on Youtube.[/font]
[font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]He has reviewed and actually measured the performance of many inverters both MSW and PSW.[/font]

[font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]I do not know if this Ebay ad is the real deal for $199.[/font]

[font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]If it is genuine, it would be a great bargain.[/font]

[font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]https://www.ebay.com/i/122548551354?chn=ps&dispItem=1[/font]

[font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]Start at about 20 minutes to bypass the AIM review.[/font]

[font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][video=youtube]
A few Ebay reviews:

Good Product
I bought the Tiger Claw 1500W Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter to run a refrigerator continuously. I’ve only had it for a month and it has been in constant use for two weeks now. I’ve read some questionable reviews so I put a loss of power alarm on the inverter’s circuit just in case. However so far so good the inverter does what it says it will do, there are very few bells and whistles like there’s no remote control, voltage or a wattage meter on the inverter but then again I wasn’t looking for those things in an inverter. My inverter is mounted on a shelf with good air circulation around it, protected from tRead full review…

Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New | Sold by: sigler_music

by texas2658
Jan 24, 2017
Tiger Claw 1500w
This Inverter can do about 1800w from my testing and still output 110v or more in a serge test it can pull 350+ amps from the battery so its probably outputting 3000w or more.
the efficiency is very poor at low loads like charging my drone it was taking 112w form the ac 120v and 170w from the battery that is 65%.
at high loads it is ok 75-80% or more.
Do You “Waste” Gas When Your Car is Idle?
When your car is idle, you don’t necessarily use the gas. When you step on the gas pedal, that’s the time that it uses it. However, when you leave it idle your car uses approximately ⅕ to 1/7 of a gallon of gas per hour.

So, if you accidentally left your car idle on a full tank, you’ll still have half left after 24 hours. But of course, you don’t want to do that because your engine might overheat.

Yep. gnurlgnarl guy is among the best reviewers of inverters on youtube.

It would be good if he had a sillyscope visible during all levels of testing so we could see if the wave distorted at various loads.

Then, we run right up against the QC impediment.
What may have been wonderful on this shift, may be dicey when built on the next.

The wise option might be to purchase from a popular vendor known for good communication and a decent policy of accepting returns for exchange or refund when units are discovered to be defective.
wheels

I bought one of the 1500 watt Tiger Claws in 2012. I used it part time for 2012 and 2013, in 2014 I went full time and the inverter is now in its 4th year of running 24/7/365, well over 30,000 hours on it.

I use it to power a refrigerator (actually a converted freezer), a tv and media player, for some battery recharging, plus an occasional power tool.

Boyntonstu said:
When your car is idle, you don’t necessarily use the gas.

It takes about 6 horsepower to idle the engine in my van. This is displayed on my Scangauge, which is plugged in to the OBD2 port.

tx2sturgis said:
It takes about 6 horsepower to idle the engine in my van. This is displayed on my Scangauge, which is plugged in to the OBD2 port.

Good info. Thanks.  6 HP is a small % of the engine HP.

I quoted from the net to show that a car idling plus another battery and the 1,500 Watt inverter may be OK as a backup.

How much load is on the alternator, how discharged is your battery bank, is what determines engine HP at idle. The alternator will not perform as well at idle than at higher RPM, also more HP. And it all means more gasoline.

Just a comment on charging off the alternator, I have recently been thinking about it.

At idle most vehicles are running about 750 RPM on the highway my 07 E-150 is running about 1600 RPM and that is sufficient to charge the bank.
I have definitely noticed the voltage change at different temps. Cool days it maintains about 14.2, hot days will drop to about 13.8.

In a pinch when the house had a power outage I've run an extension in from my inverter, every once in a while I'll fire up the Van and set the RPM to about 1100, charges well but of course no where near a complete charge.

Get a portable genny.

Wear and tear on your engine will cost a **lot** more.

Gideon33w said:
Don't even know where to start with the "off" information in this thread ...

Well just blaze away !
... it's a roundtable discussion.

imo, even marginal ideas will benefit the situation in a pinch.
wheels

Gideon33w said:
Don't even know where to start with the "off" information in this thread ...

I thought it was a thread about the Tiger Claw inverter. Thats why I posted what I did.

I didn't realize it was actually a thread about alternators, rpm, and horsepower.

:head-scratch:

Boyntonstu said:
When your car is idle, you don’t necessarily use the gas. When you step on the gas pedal, that’s the time that it uses it. However, when you leave it idle your car uses approximately ⅕ to 1/7 of a gallon of gas per hour.

So, if you accidentally left your car idle on a full tank, you’ll still have half left after 24 hours. But of course, you don’t want to do that because your engine might overheat.

All part of the OP from the beginning.

Weight said:
How much load is on the alternator, how discharged is your battery bank, is what determines engine HP at idle. The alternator will not perform as well at idle than at higher RPM, also more HP. And it all means more gasoline.

An alternator at 2,500 RPM is more efficient than at 3,500 RPM.

I am not sure what the efficiency is at idle RPM.

[video=youtube]

how is he measuring amps with both cables going through the meter? he also doesn't know how to wire his battery bank. highdesertranger

Who?

Different alternators output more or less power at different rpm, there is no general rule.

And what does "efficiency" mean with an alt? Additional load on the engine's effect on mpg?

This thread's all over the place

highdesertranger said:
how is he measuring amps with both cables going through the meter?  he also doesn't know how to wire his battery bank.  highdesertranger

"how is he measuring amps with both cables going through the meter?"   Are you 100% positive?

"he also doesn't know how to wire his battery bank. " 

He is an electrical engineer with years of experience with inverters, batteries, ...

Have a glance at what he has accomplished.

https://www.youtube.com/user/knurlgnar24/videos

knurlgnar24
[font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]Joined Mar 14, 2008  [/font][font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]12,224,017 views[/font]
41,319 subscribers

He is one of the most experienced and detail oriented person on Youtube. 

I would be very careful before I would challenge his measurement or wiring techniques.

[video=youtube]

Additional comment. If he had clamped both wires, there would not be any reading.

The fact that he got a reading is proof positive that he clamped a single wire.

Perhaps he clamped one wire from both inverters. He only turns on one at a time...

you know what, you are right he is a super genius, I can tell by the way he plugs all this into his house with the double male cord.

why doesn't he move the genny to the bank or vice versa so he doesn't need a 40+ foot runoff cables.

I did double and triple check he does have both wires running through the meter. you can't see this? so you tell me how he's getting a reading.

I don't care who he is or what he has a degree in, he still doesn't know how to wire a battery bank. both the charge and the load are tapped into the bank wrong.

don't believe everything you see on the internet. highdesertranger