Who Will Care For My Dog When I No Longer Can?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanna White

Reaction score
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Maybe you have asked yourself this question. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I hope this new thread will become a list of resources for mobile lovers of dogs, their friends and families who are researching options for the ongoing safety, comfort and compassionate care of elderly dogs. CRVL members are welcome to share or describe [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]additional arrangements and places to ensure [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]ongoing care for our furrie friends.[/font][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]xxxxxxxxxxx[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]xxxxxxxxxxx[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]xxxxxxxxxxx[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]xxxxxxxxxxx[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]xxxxxxxxxxx[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]This first entry was originally posted as a reply, under another thread within the forum Life On The Road > Traveling With Pets. I am taking the liberty of also posting it here as 1 source of[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] care to consider for our dogs "later on" - hopefully much later on[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Peace of Mind Dog Rescue  ([font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]P[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]O[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]MDR). [/font][/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]PeaceofMindDogRescue.org[/font][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]A non-profit organization "For Senior Dogs and Senior Owners."[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Per POMDR's web site:[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]"Who will care for your dog if you no longer can? Our mission is to be a resource and advocate for senior dogs and senior people on California's Central Coast."[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]This group finds appropriate homes for dogs whose senior people will have to part with their canine companions, POMDR also rescues dogs whose senior owners have already become unable to care for their dogs or have died, leaving an elderly dog without its primary person.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Peace of Mind Dog Rescue goes to great lengths to keep this population of usually older dogs well cared for and absolutely NOT sent to a place that will euthanize the dog. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]POMDR volunteers carefully match[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] these often difficult-to-place pets with appropriate experienced people in private homes, not kennels. Not the rock stars of the rescue world, senior dogs show their age. They may be slow, unsteady, confused by loss and changing homes; they may have medical conditions requiring needs thus medications or treatments; no spring chickens, most of POMDR'shave already lived most of their years. These dogs do not go to people for whom they will be the first pet. Rather, Peace of Mind volunteers carefully choose a person or family already experienced with dogs of different ages - care givers who know that older dogs need to live out their lives in peace, with special care, love and compassion.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]If a dog arrives at POMDR and its permanent home is still being chosen, Peace of Peace of Mind volunteers take the dogs into their own homes and provide foster care for the dogs until a suitable final home is matched to the dog.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]The organization's  whole purpose is in its name. They know how important it is for people who must relinquish their dogs to be absolutely sure that their dog will always be loved and cared for, as they deserve. [/font] [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]The volunteers' dedication to older dogs' lives often gives the dogs' owners the reassurance they need to relinquish their adored dogs.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]If you know of someone who needs information about this kind of assistance, even if they live nowhere near California, please encourage them to contact peaceofminddogrescue.org and ask a POMDR staff member [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]about similar services and options closer to the owner and/or dog in need.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Vanna[/font]

There is also Seattle Purebred Dog Rescue. It's been operating for 30 years. http://www.spdrdogs.org/

But if you are considering a dog rescue, investigate it well. If they are a 501-c-3 non-profit, that is a good thing. A rescue that is NOT a 501-c-3 can only collect donations somewhere around $15,000 per year, and that is nowhere near enough to operate a decent rescue. Think of the awful places you've seen on the news. Obsessive collection personalities with no money are a disaster for the pets.

My thinking is if a nomad is going to have a pet, she/he needs to watch diligently and have a designated person to take the pet if they no longer can. I had a friend die this last year and he had three people lined up to take his dog and one designated as first choice. He also knew I would if it was necessary and he would have taken my dog if necessary. I have several people lined up as well.

Like all of you, I've given much thought to this.  My sidekick is a 4 year old Treeing Walker Coonhound.  She was a rescue, originally found as a "stray" in Kentucky, & brought to CA for adoption by a first rate rescue organization. 

Coonhounds are beautiful animals &--tho great family pets--are really *not* often successfully adopted because of their powerful scent drive--which gets them lost far, far from home.    My girls' rescue organization requires that the dogs be returned to them if, for any reason, the owner can no longer care for them.  A top notch rescue organization is worth its' weight in liver snaps!

My girl is chipped, with the "Home Again" service that has my current phone # along with her rescue organizations' contact info, as well.  If your dog or cat is microchipped, be sure to add at least one backup contact name & phone number.  Once I am traveling again, I plan to leave a note in plain sight in my rig with any instructions re my hound, should it become necessary. 

What a great topic for discussion!

Vanna White said:
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I hope this new thread will become a list of resources for mobile lovers of dogs, their friends and families who are researching options for the ongoing safety, comfort and compassionate care of elderly dogs.[/font]

Bravo Vanna for getting the ball rolling!
smile.gif

Perhaps a "sticky" list of ideas/options could be made permanently available on this forum.

Charlotte

My dog has two tags. One with my name & phone number and another with another's name and phone # should something unfortunate happen to me and I no longer exist, they've agreed to take him in. My dog knows and loves them so at least it wouldn't be a totally new environment for him. I also keep a small piece of paper in my wallet, informing people I have a dog and what to do with him/who to call in an emergency.

When we still had our beloved girls, we had more arrangements made for them than for us. Friends lined up who would make a home for them, together, for the rest of their lives. I miss them so much.

Good thread thanks for sharing. In an ideal world having someone look after your dog should you the owner reach a point of being able to care for the dog is the best option. Unfortunately we do not live in an ideal world and may not be an option for some, so it is nice to know there are resources like this that may be of help.