Which Van is Best? Oh No, Not Again!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen

Reaction score
Well, this might be slightly different. I have seen this several times, but most people are single.

My wife and I are planning to hit the road as at least 3/4 timers as soon as she retires in 30 days and 6 hours. We have a teardrop trailer, but we are thinking of getting a van instead.

Here's the question and the difference.

For those of you who are couples or at least "entertain" on a semi-frequent basis, is a high top van really worth the extra cost? We don't have a ton of money, in fact we have damned little. The high tops look great for the headroom, but I have seen some sweet regular van setups. Remember, we are coming from a teardrop. Ain't no headroom in that baby! I'm used to going outside to stand up, to pee, all that kinda stuff. As I search for vans I see a LOT of difference in the price. Just not sure it's worth it.

Couples! Jump in here. Well, or if you know a couple.   :s

LOL! I'm not a couple but I know a couple couples or so, but they aren't on this path. Just my buttinski opinion, but if you've been fine with a teardrop (guessing it's one you can't stand in?) then I'd venture you don't "need" a high top. I would think that you could add a high top later if it got where you needed it. Just an idea. :)

Coming from a hightop van from the start, I could never go to a standard height van. I would pay extra for the ability to stand and all the extra storage that comes with having the extra height too.

Same for me if you were asking about an extended van or regular length. Id pay a good amount for the extra 3-4 feet of length too.

+1 for the high top

But here are a few points to help you with expectations. (at least with "American style" vans)
- Most hightops should be called "mid tops". They provide a lot of extra head room, but for most people they won't be full standing height. The good trade off here is that most "midtops" can still fit in a garage or parking garage. In fact, one of the vans I've converted this year fits in a 7'8" high garage door opening even with roof fan and solar installed.

- Look for a high top with a nice flat roof. It will make upgrades like solar way easer in the future (I know this from experience)

- Most people fanaticize about standing around cooking or hanging out inside a high top van. For most, this simply won't be the case. What I'm saying is that while there is some utility to have something closer to full standing height, its usefulness will be for brief periods while changing clothes, etc. The biggest advantage is the extra storage space! In both conversions that I've done, 20+ cubic feet of storage was installed in the high top area alone! And this was in areas along the sides, the front and the rear and didn't interfere with standing (hunched standing) height anywhere in the middle of the ceiling. For this reason, I believe that a high top is perfect for a couple due to all of the extra storage space

Teardrops usually have doors on both sides. Vans, usually not. in a low van you will have to crawl over each other to do most anything. In your 20's that might be fun, in your 60's, someone just might get aggravated. Not all high top vans are tall enough to stand up in either. I would keep an open mind to a short class C.
I am single and have a low van that I am working on. I am thinking about putting a high top on it. I would only have the ceiling open in the middle, that way I would have good storage in the front and back. I am even thinking about putting a deep rowboat on top, (upside down), and opening up the roof.

Van-Tramp said:
Coming from a hightop van from the start, I could never go to a standard height van. I would pay extra for the ability to stand and all the extra storage that comes with having the extra height too.

Same for me if you were asking about an extended van or regular length. Id pay a good amount for the extra 3-4 feet of length too.

+ 1

At retirement age, my personal comfort comes really high on the list. I've lived in everything from an Astro/Safari to a 35' Class A with several vans in between, both high top and without. I won't/can't spend any amount of time bent over doing things.

I cook in the van standing upright. I stand up to put my pants on and off. I pour my drinks standing up.

If 2 people are going to share a van, IMO a full 24" raised roof is absolutely necessary. Try hunching over for even an hour trying to do things in your house and you'll see what I mean.

My other high top van had storage over the cab area and RV style cabinets around the back area over the bed. This one has the original roof over the drivers compartment AND for the back 30" at the rear of the van. The amount of storage that both these compartments give me is unbelievable.

My parents travelled for up to 3 months at a time in their van. It had the hightop but even with it, there had to be some rules... :D  Dad got up and dressed in the morning and went for a walk while Mom got up, dressed and made the bed, started the coffee. When it came to meals, Dad got in to the drivers' seat (both seats swiveled), the table was put in place and he was stuck there until after the meal. But it meant that Mom had to serve, etc.

As a single I'm quite comfortable in the van and yes, two can do it. I watched two do it all winter in a Roadtrek. They didn't kill each other but that's because they both have a good sense of humor and one, at least, knew when it was time to get out of the WAYYYYY!

If you're unable to find a good van that already has the high top, and by this I mean the 24" high top, not one of those 'tv tops', seriously consider finding a donor van in a scrap yard that has one and moving it.  Way cheaper than buying a new high top which run in the $3 - 4 grand area.

The alternative is to look for a really short Class C - you'll get standing height in that. The downside IMO, is that you get all the things that the manufacturers insist on cramming in to them and a usually inferior build as compared to doing your own conversion of a van.

Can you keep the teardrop and have the van?

I traveled for 6 months in a Chevy Express low top with my now ex gf back in 2009. Back then I didn't even really know about high tops or vehicle living so the extra height was never missed. 80% of the time we stayed organized and it was very comfortable, 10% of the time it was a mess from neglect while partaking in lots of outdoor activities and 10% of the time we'd add an extra piece of gear that just didn't pack well, resulting in a need for a total reorganization morning. I don't mind getting dressed and showering between two open doors outside, so that alleviates that portion of needing a hightop. And I have had travel trailers and slide ins with stand up room and that whole argument that it's nice to be able to cook inside doesn't work well for me. I avoid cooking and hanging out inside my trailers like I avoid doing my taxes. If the weather is that bad, I sling up a low lying tarp and cook under that or eat what's laying around until we reach greener pastures.

Yet saying that all out loud, if two vans fell out of the sky........one with a low top and one with a hightop and I could only chose one, I'd take the hightop.

I would think age plays a big factor too. Two 20 something year olds vs two 50 something year olds in a lowtop will most likely have a completely different review of their overall comfort level. If you're able to set up a good covered outdoor area next to the van that's comfortable I think a hightop would also not be quite as important.

So many variables!

As a middle aged fella with a G/F, and a dog, I'd say a van is a bit small. Even with the hightop. A class-C RV would have been better.

Thanks to everyone who has posted!

When we sell the house we will have about $20k out of it. That's kinda it money wise other than our social security. Buying a sprinter type van would be great, but I hate to spend all our cash on it; and that's if I can find a decent one for that much. 

This project is not only to give us wings for as long as we can still flap them, I'm 66, she is 61, but is also a "At least we can fix this up like it's our own house." We are having to move in with one of our kids due to $$ concerns. WE hate it, but are thankful at least one of them will tolerate us! :rolleyes:

The class C idea is good for comfort, but then we don't really get to fix it up much. A B class would be ok, but they cost way too much. I'd be fine with the teardrop for a while, but the wife wants a bit more room for those times when it rains for a week. She is also the main instigator in the whole fix it up like our house thing.

I appreciate everyone's input and will think hard on searching for a high-top that we can afford. It has to be a cash deal as I am not going to be making payments!

Wouldn't the floor space be the real limiting factor, when it comes to having two people in a van? 
Whether it's a low top or a high top, when one person wants to move from front to back, the other person has to move out of the way.  You still have twice as much clothing and personal items to find room for, provisions for two, etc.
Low top cargo vans are everywhere and they are cheap.  If you pick one up for a few thousand dollars you could tow your teardrop while you try out the van concept, then sell it or trade up when/if you find you really want something different.  Your batteries, solar, and other gear can be moved from one van to the next.

With that kind of budget here's my totally unsolicited advice... :) 

Start looking now for a Chev/GMC/Ford standard cargo van that is in as good shape as you can possibly find....it took me 6 months of consistent searching in a 5 hour radius to find mine so be prepared to be patient. The newer the van the higher the price, the older the van the more problems you're almost certainly to have to fix. There is a sweet spot in there. An extended body van would be really sweet but a little harder to find.

Unless you're in a really high priced area like LA, you should be able to find something in the 3 to 5 grand range. IMO a blank cargo/passenger van is a better deal than one of the 'conversion van's'. They are priced higher and most of the interior including the little amount of insulation is not applicable to full timing it or even 3/4 timing it. Most end up ripping it out within the first year.

Be prepared to put some money in to making it totally road worthy. I had to put a battery, 4 new tires and $1,500 worth of mechanical/body work in to mine.

If you luck out like I did and find a cargo van with the high top already on it, then you're ahead of the game. If not then you have a choice of having a new one put on commercially or finding one from a donor van, collecting 3 or 4 good friends and a case of beer and doing the job yourself.

It really doesn't take a master carpenter to make a usable interior. All of the information you could possibly want is right here on the forum and we'll happily guide you through it. You will have to make your own decisions as to which way you want to have your layout since there is no one 'right way'... :D

Budget somewhere between 6 and 10 G's for the van and outfitting it and tuck the rest away in an emergency fund that is inviolable.

While you're at it, start making a list of all the places you want to see and playing with the concept of free camping. I had only ever 'free camped' in Wal Mart parking lots and Flying J's until I found this forum. Last winter I paid for my last 'pay campsite the first week of December in LA at the intercoastal waterway. The next time I paid for a campsite was in late April when I chose to stay at a wolf sanctuary in New Mexico. The rest of the time I lived rent free and had an absolute blast! Some here haven't paid for a campsite in years!

It IS doable.

In your shoes, I would plan on towing the teardrop trailer with a cargo van, like Almost There described.  Sleeping in the teardrop means you don't have to build a bed in the van, which will leave more room for other things.  Cooking, washing, lounging, etc.  A good cot and roll up mattress would provide emergency sleeping in the van if needed.

With two separate spaces you each have somewhere to go if you find yourself getting on each other's nerves.  And sooner or later, you probably will.

What sort of tow vehicle do you have? a converted cargo trailer might be your best of both worlds choice, a 6x12 pulls easily, has all the room of a van (more, actually) and standing height
just an idea
I'm not a couple, but I do entertain now and then, entertraining in a tear would be sort of limiting

More good suggestions! I wanted to throw into the mix that I am 6'2". 

ArtW, I have thought a bit about a cargo trailer. I just haven't seen many so I don't have a good idea what that might be like. or the costs involved.

Stephen said:
ArtW, I have thought a bit about a cargo trailer. I just haven't seen many so I don't have a good idea what that might be like. or the costs involved.

The Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers forum has an entire sub-forum devoted to converted cargo trailers.  Everything from minimalist conversions to tiny mansions.  Spend some time there and you will get lots of ideas about how to set one up, what they cost, etc.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=42

(btw, it would also be a good place to advertise your teardrop if you decide, as part of your plans, to sell it.)

I really can't tell you what would be best for you.
My pref would be a small class C and doing modifications to fine tune it to my uses.

Happy Trails and Smooth Sailing To You

Optimistic Paranoid said:
The Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers forum has an entire sub-forum devoted to converted cargo trailers.  

Thanks for the link. I will check these out.

ArtW I drive a Hyundai Santa Fe. Specs say I can tow 3500#.

Teardrops here sell for pretty good money. Cargo trailers have a lot more room. http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/rvs/5765728952.html  Also there are deals on travel trailers, http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/rvs/5764557387.html You would need something larger to tow them with, but you will probably be doing more liviing than driving. The difference between 10 mpg and 20 mpg may not be that much of a real cost. 

You can get a Class A or C for less money than you would pay for a van. Gas mileage will be less, but many have motors capable of towing. You could pull a trailer with something like this, http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/rvs/5767921286.html.      or http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/rvs/5721057501.html, or a large older car, truck or van.

On income, there is a thing called extortion, (Dear child, raising you has depleted my funds. Unless I receive x amount of money a month from you, I will be coming to live with you).

Knowing more about your situation, here is my advice:

1) A Chevy 1 ton extended van with 5.3 or 6 liter engine
2) A 6x10 or 6x12 cargo trailer converted

$10,000 should just about cover it, but obviously more money will get you a newer, lower mileage van.
Bob

Latest posts