Which Foam Mattress to buy?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomcor

Reaction score
I recarpeted my conversion van. Now I am looking to purchase a comfortable foam mattress.
Foam factory has the Lux foam 5 inch for $77 shipped. Or would a walmart Spa Sensations memory foam 6" for $110 be better. Do I really need memory foam. Any recomendations for a mattress? Also I will runing the bed longways from front to back. I am 6' and 220#.

What width for the foam would be best. I was thinking of just a twin xl memory foam. Or maybe cut it down to 36" or 30" to make more room on the other side of the van for shelving.
Any problems with using memory foam in hot weather?

Thanks for any help.

being 160 and 5'10 extra firm 4" natural latex works for me cut down to 30" width. I never feel the plywood under. (I do not expect sleepovers) in case that were to happen it would be a tight fit indeed.

I have the Foamfactory 4" HD(?) over a plywood base with 1 1/2'' holes for venting. I cut it to 4' wide (across back) and added a mattress cover, no complaints yet, even from the occasional guest.
I'm 150# and have compressed discs in neck and lower back, so too firm can be a problem.

We are thinking of changing out our full size mattress to a memory foam one. Maybe a 6" will work.

I've heard memory foam is Hot, no experience personally.

My foam mattress is 65x 48x5 inches and is pretty firm which I like. it was also quite expensive at 430$ with a custom made denim cover.

It is good foam and has not gotten any softer in the 8 years since I've been sleeping on it, same firmness on the edges as the middle.

I am a smidge over 5'10" and 220Lbs and sleep side to side, but I have very little insulation on my walls. I only need to go diagonal when sleeping on my stomach.

This is where I ordered my Foam from:
http://www.foamorder.com/foam_mattress.html

The V44 everflex. Again not cheap, but the custom denim cover is great and very well made.

I once paid good money to replace the foam on the fold out conversion Van sofa, and the foam deteriorated quickly and became way too soft. I thought 100$ was too expensive at the time( 2003) but it proved to be a poor quality

I had a memory foam mattress and it was way too warm. So I got a pillowtop twin. Then I cut three 12 inch by 39 inch chunks from the memory foam mattress and stacked them at the head of my bed, making my bed a foot longer. Got sheets to fit and I have the perfect bed for my purposes.

I just got done researching and buying a king size hybrid for my house. There is a ton of info available on line, the newer memory foam sleeps cooler then the old. Some things to remember the colder the temp. the firmer the mattress gets. You don't want all memory foam, you want 2-4" of memory foam then several inches of regular foam for support.
Latex is a great way to go if you don't need pressure relief for pain, it is much bouncer then memory foam. You don't want to get cheap foam from Asia there are two US manufactures of mattress foam. If you can fit a standard size bed in your van a hybrid is nice. It uses a foam top and coil springs for support. There are several "bed in box" type on-line stores that sale foam mattresses  at reasonable prices. This site has a lot of good info. and reviews http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/mattressreview-memory-foam.html

Mattkcc,I second that emotion.We replaced our mattress last spring with a 4" foam with a 2" memory foam on top.I think it was around $150 for a queen size.Best mattress we've ever had.

One thing I forgot to mention is to look for "Certi-Pur-US" certified mattress. All foam mattresses will off gas when they are new. Certi-PURUS certification guarantees there are no unhealthy gasses coming from the foam. That is the main concern with the cheaper Asian foams they don't disclose what's in there mattresses, like formaldehyde.

I have purchased two foam mattresses from Bed-In-A-Box and have been totally satisfied with both. One for the house and one for the rv.

Do you like a hard bed or a soft one?
A good upholstery shop will have multiple foams that you can sample to determine the hardness you want.  And any large department store has traditional mattresses on display in multiple firmnesses to try.

Sleep warm or cold?
Some memory foams can be very hot to sleep in and some get rock hard in cold weather.  Some people love them and some hate them.  Cotton batting will have a larger comfort range than synthetic (foam or poly batting) mattresses.

For size, I went with standard twin size (39" x 75") so standard sheets would fit.

I would not buy a mattress that I hadn't tried first.
Quality mattresses are expensive (foam or traditional), might get lucky with a cheap one, might not.   Think of it as investing in a good nights sleep.

+1 on checking out-gassing on foam!

-- Spiff

I purchased my foam mattress from Amazon at the end of 2013. Looks like it is still about $100 for the twin size. It is Signature Sleep's 6-inch memory foam mattress. As someone mentioned, it has 4.5 inches of more firm foam and then 1.5 inches of actual memory foam.

I did not find it hotter than a regular pillow top mattress but I did have a mattress cover and sheet on it. I "might" consider getting an 8 inch if I had to buy again, but I have to say I never felt the hard surface beneath my mattress and I am.. ummm... curvy.

With foam mattresses, I think you can cut most any of them down the way I did mine -- use an electric knife and it lets you carve through it like butter.

Oh... and I was a Prime member at the time and got free shipping. It came very tightly rolled up and in a box. Instantly sprung to life when the wrapping was removed.

The link to see what I am using is long because I went through Bob's Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/Signature-Sle...keywords=signature+sleep+memory+foam+mattress

Tomcor said:
I recarpeted my conversion van. Now I am looking to purchase a comfortable foam mattress.
Foam factory has the Lux foam 5 inch for $77 shipped. Or would a walmart Spa Sensations memory foam 6" for $110 be better. Do I really need memory foam. Any recomendations for a mattress? Also I will runing the bed longways from front to back. I am 6' and 220#.

What width for the foam would be best. I was thinking of just a twin xl memory foam. Or maybe cut it down to 36" or 30"  to make more room on the other side of the van for shelving.
Any problems with using memory foam in hot weather?

Thanks for any help.

I have 5 inches of LuxHQ base foam and 4 inches of 5LB ViscoMAX memory foam.  It's firm to sleep on and I bought it without trying it first.   Initially I found it too firm, but after a week or so I found it to be the perfect mattress.   I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

As for heat retention, I worried about that also, but after a few nights in Phoenix in the summer with the outside temp at 92 degrees, I found that was not really a concern.

I've heard concerns about memory foam becoming hard as the temperature drops, but I have not had this problem with this particular product.   It is soft down to 17 degrees F. (coldest I've used it in so far)

It does retain a nice "glow" in cold weather that feels wonderful when getting back into bed after getting up to pee in the night.

Here's a link to the foam factory website:  Foam Factory Website

I tried a Tempurpedic memory foam mattress and found it to have several problems:
  • It takes a few minutes for the foam to form to your shape. Until then it feels kinda hard.
  • After it has formed to your shape, it doesn't want to change. So, if you roll over, you end up with this depression that tries to make you roll back into it. This lasts for at least a few minutes, till the foam reshapes. Then it happens again the next time you move at all.
  • They tell you that once the foam forms to your body then you feel no pressure points. That is BS. It is impossible to remain perfectly still. Any movement you make causes you to feel pressure as the foam does not adjust quickly enough (see above).
  • While I did not find it too hot, it does not allow moisture to flow well, so it is very sweaty. Which then causes me to get cold in the middle of the night if the covers slip and let even a little bit of draft in underneath.
Here is what I have found to be the most comfortable mattress I have ever slept on: I use a Coleman air mattress with a 2" layer of thinner, softer memory foam that I got at CostCo. I think they still carry it. That foam has holes in it so it is more breathable. If I have too much blanket or my blankets do not breath well, then I can still get a little sweaty due to the air mattress not being very breathable (duh). But otherwise it is insanely comfortable. I can adjust the Coleman mattress to just the right pressure and it has stayed exactly the same for over a year.

My current mattress is 39" wide, but I have done some research and Coleman makes an air mattress that is only about 4" thick and 20" wide. This is perfect for use in a van or a smaller RV. After several years of sleeping with my most recent (and hopefully last) ex, I got used to sleeping in a space only about 18" wide (on a queen bed). Just cut some foam down to size and you will be in heaven.

Sounds like a bad experience with Tempurpedic. My bed has none of those detriments, so there has to be a difference between your memory foam and mine.

Technologies do change, and quality plays an important role in selecting your bed. Cheap memory foam is not the same as the high end memory foam. Just because it says "Tempurpedic" doesn't mean it stands the test of modern memory foams.

66788 said:
Sounds like a bad experience with Tempurpedic. My bed has none of those detriments, so there has to be a difference between your memory foam and mine.

Technologies do change, and quality plays an important role in selecting your bed. Cheap memory foam is not the same as the high end memory foam. Just because it says "Tempurpedic" doesn't mean it stands the test of modern memory foams.

Tempuepedic is a brand name, not a type of foam. They use very specific formulations which tend to be more dense than what you get elsewhere. The thing is, I think the less dense formulations are way more comfortable. I love the one I got at CostCo.

In my last relationship, we got a Tempurpedic "Cloud" version. We both loved it so much that we bought the same for the second home. I think Tempurpedic has since made an improved version of that. I think the Cloud has a pillow top layer thin on top of the memory foam. Of course that layer would not withstand cutting it down to size.

I ended up buying an 8" memory foam mattress twin from Walmart ship to site. Contura. $126 with tax. I will be posting pictures in the future as i start working on building the bed frame.

I bet you'll like that. And great to see you picked one and are moving forward. Once in a while we see a newbie trying to chose some part of his rig and just sort of getting stuck obsessing over the choice or choices. Of course, no one wants to waste money on something that does work properly, but sometimes getting "stuck" is just anxiety over actually being ready to hit the road. You got lots of feedback and then you are full steam ahead!

The "natural" latex 4" extra firm cut down to 30" width works great for me I am a bit on the thin side. Not cheap.... down side is it dries when in the sunlight so i keep a cover over all the time.