Which Foam Mattress to buy?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My experience with Tempurpedic was less than optimal. In fact, the smell was So Bad, and lasted for so long, I had to send it back to the store for a refund. That's when Bed-In-A-Box came through with their unit and it's been performing perfectly since 2008.

If you're in Colorado, American Furniture Warehouse has had 6" solid foam twin XLs for $80. I got one a couple months ago. And where do you buy a bed-in-a-box anyway? I have heard of such things, but never seen one myself.

The one thing that surprises me about so many of your beds is how thick so many of them are; many are 6-10 inches tall!

If you have a high top it's no big deal but with a standard top that's all room that has to come out of under-bed storage, or you hit your head.

I've never had a bed over 4 inches thick until my current one in the cargo trailer and it is 5 inches thick (3 inch gel memory foam from Costco and 2 inch cheap memory foam from Walmart--outstanding combination!). In my low top van my bed is 4 inches and I wouldn't want it thicker.

So those of you with thick mattresses, have you ever regretted it?
Bob

I noticed that too Bob!

My first reaction was that we had a bunch of Princess' here who thought someone had put a pea under their mattress... :p

I have a 3" high density foam mattress on order and I'll likely top it with a couple of inches of cushier foam but maybe not. I'm thinking of a feather mattress cover for it!

I found out by accident that my really high density foam cushions on the sofa did my body more good than the medium density foam mattress that was on my bed.

Hey Bob,I like my comforts and I do have a 6 inch bed in the camper.Bought a standard size and cut it down to fit the bed.It was a bed in a box from Amazon.When I first saw the box,I thought No Way.Took 2 days for that puppy to stop expanding.By the way,I scored some fancy Oldsmobile spoke hubcaps at a yard sale today for $2 each.With the caps and the new paint job the old Gray Ghost is looking sharp.

I've used foambymail to order foam for my twin xl mattress in my mobile home. You'll have to look at the spec sheet to figure out which foam to order. They sell traditional foam (like that found in cushions) along with viscoelastic (memory) foam. Their foam is very high quality and available in any shape or size you need. Their high resiliency foam is rated for something like 15 years I believe. Most of the foam you buy at places like retail is garbage and will become too soft in a year or so.

My cheap 100 memory foam twin mattress from amazon wore out in one year. My bedinabox bed was too soft for me at less than 2 years. I prefer traditional foam like that found in cushions and car seats. Those applications DEMAND high quality and long lasting performance.

Getting a good nights sleep isn't optional for me, it's mandatory.

I just don't get the connection between 9 inches of foam and there being no other way to be comfortable. Maybe I've just been lucky and got comfy mattresses of 5 inches or less, usually 4 inches.
Bob

I guess I am one of the "princesses" here.  I have a 8 inch full size dual density foam mattress with a 2 inch memory foam pad.  I sleep diagonally on it.  It sleeps almost as good as the individual coil spring mattress with a foam topper built in that is in my S&B!  They both are very heavy though.  Being in the very back of the Roadtrek makes the back end heavier.  Not a good place for the extra weight.  I can sit on the edge of the bed as I have a high roof.  Just can't carry that big cast iron dutch oven and cast iron frying pans.  I need the rest more than the cast iron cooking. :p

Brian

GrantRobertson said:
I tried a Tempurpedic memory foam mattress and found it to have several problems:
  • It takes a few minutes for the foam to form to your shape. Until then it feels kinda hard.
  • After it has formed to your shape, it doesn't want to change. So, if you roll over, you end up with this depression that tries to make you roll back into it. This lasts for at least a few minutes, till the foam reshapes. Then it happens again the next time you move at all.
  • They tell you that once the foam forms to your body then you feel no pressure points. That is BS. It is impossible to remain perfectly still. Any movement you make causes you to feel pressure as the foam does not adjust quickly enough (see above).
  • While I did not find it too hot, it does not allow moisture to flow well, so it is very sweaty. Which then causes me to get cold in the middle of the night if the covers slip and let even a little bit of draft in underneath.
Here is what I have found to be the most comfortable mattress I have ever slept on: I use a Coleman air mattress with a 2" layer of thinner, softer memory foam that I got at CostCo. I think they still carry it. That foam has holes in it so it is more breathable. If I have too much blanket or my blankets do not breath well, then I can still get a little sweaty due to the air mattress not being very breathable (duh). But otherwise it is insanely comfortable. I can adjust the Coleman mattress to just the right pressure and it has stayed exactly the same for over a year.

My current mattress is 39" wide, but I have done some research and Coleman makes an air mattress that is only about 4" thick and 20" wide. This is perfect for use in a van or a smaller RV. After several years of sleeping with my most recent (and hopefully last) ex, I got used to sleeping in a space only about 18" wide (on a queen bed). Just cut some foam down to size and you will be in heaven.

Tempurpedic has changed the foam in their beds to a more modern formula. I just purchased one of the new Tempurpedic's and it is great but expensive. It conforms to your body quicker, I'm a side sleeper with a double fused lower back. I used to toss and turn all night and was lucky to get three or four hours sleep. Now I rarely turn over and can get eight to nine hours sleep.  Memory foam is great for old guys with pain latex is great for younger folks who are more active in bed if you know what I mean.

Electric Mayhem said:
If you're in Colorado, American Furniture Warehouse has had 6" solid foam twin XLs for $80. I got one a couple months ago. And where do you buy a bed-in-a-box anyway? I have heard of such things, but never seen one myself.
Got mine from bedinabox.com with free shipping nationwide, 20 year warranty and they're made in the good ole USofA.

GrantRobertson said:
Tempuepedic is a brand name, not a type of foam. They use very specific formulations which tend to be more dense than what you get elsewhere. The thing is, I think the less dense formulations are way more comfortable. I love the one I got at CostCo.

I know that Tempurpedic is a brand name.  What made you think I didn't know that?

Old Tempurpedic foam has been surpassed by newer formulations from both Tempurpedic and other manufacturers.  I suspect you bed was of the early formulations that had undesirable traits.

Good high quality modern formulas have removed virtually all of the former problems that unfortunately are still alive and well on the internet forums.

For me sleep is very important, so I have a full size twin mattress in my van so I can stretch out in comfort.   No sleeping across the back and being cramped, no thin, soft, or uncomfortable mattresses.   Just a great 9" memory foam mattress that gives a good nights rest.

akrvbob said:
Getting a good nights sleep isn't optional for me, it's mandatory.

I just don't get the connection between 9 inches of foam and there being no other way to be comfortable. Maybe I've just been lucky and got comfy mattresses of 5 inches or less, usually 4 inches.
Bob

Perhaps it's because you have never experienced such luxury.   Don't try it, you will not be happy with what you have if you do.

I also like 600 thread count sheets.

66788 said:
Perhaps it's because you have never experienced such luxury.   Don't try it, you will not be happy with what you have if you do.

I also like 600 thread count sheets.

I sleep perfectly now. Do you sleep better than perfectly?

So bigger is always better, with no exceptions? 

All my friends kept telling me I couldn't possibly be happy in something as small as a van. So you think maybe they were right and I've been wrong all along? 

Or maybe bigger isn't always better?

It's all very confusing. 

The only thing I'm 100% certain of is I'm happier now than I have ever been--and I've never slept better, no matter how big my house was or how thick my mattress was. So I'm not going to be making any changes, and if I do, it will be to something even smaller since that has worked so well for me up to now.

I guess that's all that's important, that each of us to find what works for us, big or small.
Bob

akrvbob said:
I sleep perfectly now. Do you sleep better than perfectly?

I do sleep perfectly, but I didn't before I bought my first memory foam mattress.

So bigger is always better, with no exceptions? 

I don't recall saying that.  Those are your words, not mine.

All my friends kept telling me I couldn't possibly be happy in something as small as a van. So you think maybe they were right and I've been wrong all along? 

Or maybe bigger isn't always better?

It's all very confusing. 

The only thing I'm 100% certain of is I'm happier now than I have ever been--and I've never slept better, no matter how big my house was or how thick my mattress was. So I'm not going to be making any changes, and if I do, it will be to something even smaller since that has worked so well for me up to now.

I guess that's all that's important, that each of us to find what works for us, big or small.

Indeed!   I did, and I share that on this forum, as do you.

Bob

akrvbob said:
The one thing that surprises me about so many of your beds is how thick so many of them are; many are 6-10 inches tall!

If you have a high top it's no big deal but with a standard top that's all room that has to come out of under-bed storage, or you hit your head.

I have a high-top but the non-functioning rear a/c unit takes up space from the ceiling directly over my bed. It is not problem for me though; you must remember a foam mattress does compress as you sit on it.

As I wrote, I might even go for 8" instead of 6" when what I have wears out. I'd say right now, I need a minimum of 6". Though if it was substantially more firm, perhaps less would do. Don't know that I'd be willing to bet on it by switching. :p :)

Almost There said:
My first reaction was that we had a bunch of Princess' here who thought someone had put a pea under their mattress... :p

OK, I'm not sure how you found out about me but, YES, I am indeed a Princess. Please do not share this info. I mean, then the paparazzi show up, and it spoils the whole boondocking in a leaky van thing I enjoy. :D

(Sorry, AT, but there have been just too many openings for some sort of jokes here, and I liked your poke at us tall-mattress folks. I did not really take offense at your comment. I just have a smart aleck sense of humor.)

Mmmm's the word... :D
But I wasn't really singling you out there Writer - however if the glass slipper fits, then....well you know... :p
We'll get along fine at the RTR I suspect. I try my best to suppress my smartazz mouth on the web. I find that too many that don't know me or don't know how to read humor on a written page, end up taking offense to one thing or another, so I erase, erase, erase!!.. :angel:

I tried to fix something and got a duplicate of my last post. Ooops.

AT... can't wait to meet you at the RTR. Often I do have to slap my own fingers to keep from posting things that can be taken the wrong way (or maybe taken the right way but would be wrong of me LOL).

Well went to Walmart to pickup my mattress but the box said 6" instead of 8".
Got my money back. Ordered from Foam Factory HD36 4" foam and 2" memory foam topper,will glue together with 3M 77 and trim to size. Which should be 36" x 80". Been working on window tint and backup camera.