Which Foam Mattress to buy?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tomcor said:
Well went to Walmart to pickup my mattress but the box said 6" instead of 8".
Got my money back. Ordered from Foam Factory HD36 4" foam and 2" memory foam topper,will glue together with 3M 77 and trim to size. Which should be 36" x 80". Been working on window tint and backup camera.

My set up is similiar, I have a 3 inch memory foam and 2 inch regular, and I find it very handy to keep them separate, not glued together. I can turn them over so there is always a new combination while one side is airing out. My set-up doesn't allow them to move so that's not a problem, but even if yours can the foam is usually grippy and stays together.

You  may try it not glued first and see how it works for you. You can always glue it later if it doesn't work.
Bob

Tomcor said:
Got my money back. Ordered from Foam Factory HD36 4" foam and 2" memory foam topper,will glue together with 3M 77 and trim to size. Which should be 36" x 80". Been working on window tint and backup camera.

Are you going with a wireless or wired backup camera?

akrvbob said:
My set up is similiar, I have a 3 inch memory foam and 2 inch regular, and I find it very handy to keep them separate, not glued together. I can turn them over so there is always a new combination while one side is airing out. My set-up doesn't allow them to move so that's not a problem, but even if yours can the foam is usually grippy and stays together.

You  may try it not glued first and see how it works for you. You can always glue it later if it doesn't work.
Bob

I will try them not glued like you suggest. How do you keep them together, fitted sheet or cover?

Any thing worth checking out mattress-wise at Ikea?

I have fitted sheets on mine, but like I said, mine can't move at all. I believe they will grip each other so well it shouldn't be a problem. If moving around is a problem with them, you can always glue them together.
Bob

If you do choose to glue try a small couple of pieces to bond together.

It is imperative you use the right glue or spray as some can melt and breakdown the foam.

Spray Adhesives
  • An easy-to-use adhesive for many foam rubber projects, spray glue is available from various manufacturers. Because different formulations of spray adhesives are made for different purposes, be sure the product is made for permanent bonding. You can buy spray adhesives at craft and discount stores, but commercial products are stronger. Look for 3M's Fastbond or similar products for a long-lasting hold.
Cyanoacrylates - Super Glue
  • Another type of glue that works well for adhering foam rubber is glue containing cyanoacrylate, more commonly known as Super Glue. Some spray adhesives may contain cyanoacrylates as well. These chemicals are known as instant glues, because they do not require other products to activate them coupled with their ability to cure quickly. You can buy the glues under many brand names, but for foam gluing, avoid the cheaply made varieties. Buy a cyanoacrylate glue made for foam, such as Permabond, Foam Tac, CraftFoam Glue or Loxeal 32.
Silicone Glues
  • Silicone is a versatile bonding and sealing material used for many purposes. Some formulations of silicone glue do work well for bonding silicone rubber. You can purchase silicone in bulk at a hardware or home improvement store, or look for specialty name brands for specific purposes such as the Goop line of glues.
Tacky Glue
  • Craft tacky glues will work for some foam rubber applications. They do not work well, however, with open cell foams that are porous and absorbent, given the fact that this type of glue soaks into the foam and doesn't stick. For closed-cell foam rubber, such as craft foam, tacky glue is a good solution. Keep in mind that it has to be used in rather thin coats and must cure for an extended period of time, unlike instant glues that bond in a few seconds.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/info_8148267_type-glue-use-foam-rubber.html

Good luck!

I've read all of the posts in this thread and Googled most of the brand names mentioned. I'm posting to ask if there are any additional or newer products someone would like to mention.
 I've begun building a sleeping platform in the back of my Astro cargo van. I need a mattress with dimensions that can't exceed 32" wide by 73" long. It would be simple to cut down a twin-sized foam mattress to that size though paying for extra material that will just get thrown out doesn't make my heart sing.
 The Foam Factory products are looking pretty good to me, at 3' and 2" for a 5" total height. I could mange that but not much more thickness.
For the past two years I've been sleeping on a fancy REI cot, which is not bad, but storage underneath is quite limited and a platform with a top that lifts will provide much more.
 Thanks to everyone who shared their experiences.

You can get a foam mattress 64 inches wide or more and cut it in half and stack them on top of each other.
Bob

We have a 6" Ikea firm mattress and had to add a 2" memory foam topper for me. DH would sleep happily on a slab of granite, but I need more cushioning for the old joints. It is hard to give advice for another person's body, but mine would be to start at what you consider your comfort level is, and leave space to add a topper when you do your build. How well you sleep can make or break how you experience your lifestyle.

Phantom Blooper said:
If you do choose to glue try a small couple of pieces to bond together.

It is imperative you use the right glue or spray as some can melt and breakdown the foam.

Spray Adhesives
  • An easy-to-use adhesive for many foam rubber projects, spray glue is available from various manufacturers. Because different formulations of spray adhesives are made for different purposes, be sure the product is made for permanent bonding. You can buy spray adhesives at craft and discount stores, but commercial products are stronger. Look for 3M's Fastbond or similar products for a long-lasting hold.
Cyanoacrylates - Super Glue
  • Another type of glue that works well for adhering foam rubber is glue containing cyanoacrylate, more commonly known as Super Glue. Some spray adhesives may contain cyanoacrylates as well. These chemicals are known as instant glues, because they do not require other products to activate them coupled with their ability to cure quickly. You can buy the glues under many brand names, but for foam gluing, avoid the cheaply made varieties. Buy a cyanoacrylate glue made for foam, such as Permabond, Foam Tac, CraftFoam Glue or Loxeal 32.
Silicone Glues
  • Silicone is a versatile bonding and sealing material used for many purposes. Some formulations of silicone glue do work well for bonding silicone rubber. You can purchase silicone in bulk at a hardware or home improvement store, or look for specialty name brands for specific purposes such as the Goop line of glues.
Tacky Glue
  • Craft tacky glues will work for some foam rubber applications. They do not work well, however, with open cell foams that are porous and absorbent, given the fact that this type of glue soaks into the foam and doesn't stick. For closed-cell foam rubber, such as craft foam, tacky glue is a good solution. Keep in mind that it has to be used in rather thin coats and must cure for an extended period of time, unlike instant glues that bond in a few seconds.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/info_8148267_type-glue-use-foam-rubber.html

Good luck!

There's an easier solution than glue. Just get an envelope style zippered mattress cover. Your mattress sections will not separate and you have something you can take off and put in the laundry to take care of dirt and odors.

Tomcor said:

The closest Walmart stocks the Dream Serenity line. Their 4" mattress is 2"of support and 2" of memory foam for 105.00. Another 1.5" of topper is 40 bucks.
 Yesterday I got a quote from Foam Factory for a mattress cut to my specs of 33" x 74". 4" of HD36 foam with 3" of memory foam, with a mattress cover, comes to 249.97.
 I've read mostly positive remarks about Foam Factory here, whereas you just never know with Walmart, so FF seems to offer a good buy.

I have a FF mattress with 5" HQ support foam and 4" HQ Mfoam and its just Great. Right now its on top a coil spring firm mattress, when it goes in the van, it will be on 3/4 plywood, I don't expect it to be any less comfortable. I hope ALL can find a Solution that fits their needs, as Quality Rest is important.

A few days ago we got the full size Loveland model foam from Denver Mattress. It is firm with a couple inches of memory foam. About $240 with tax picked up at the store in Yuma. (Single size cheaper)
We both like it a lot. It replaced a heavy Posturepedic.

Tomcor said:
I recarpeted my conversion van. Now I am looking to purchase a comfortable foam mattress.

Thanks for any help.
Hi Tomcor - I'm at about the same place you are, having built the bed base, and am now considering mattresses. My bed is 30"x79", approx. half of a conventional queen. I've been toying with the idea of buying a 3" memory foam queen topper, adding a camp-style air mattress (3-4" if fully inflated) along one edge of the topper, then folding the rest of the topper over the air matt, enclosing it all in a mattress cover. Kind of a poor man's sleep number bed. I would have to bring the air matt valve out thru the end of the mattress cover, but if I can find a good way to do that, it should work. At least this way I won't have to cut/trim a regular 6-8" memory foam mattress to size, many of which seem to have an insert of gel or something else.
Has anyone tried something like this?

I ordered a 4 hd foam and 2" memory topper from Foam factory. Glued together. There is no gel just cut it with an electric cutting knife like you use on a turkey. Mine bed is 32" x 78".

Bed in van

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
H. Ward said:
I have a FF mattress with 5" HQ support foam and 4" HQ Mfoam and its just Great. Right now its on top a coil spring firm mattress, when it goes in the van, it will be on 3/4 plywood, I don't expect it to be any less comfortable. I hope ALL can find a Solution that fits their needs, as Quality Rest is important.

If you want your new mattress to last a long time don't put it on plywood use slats so the mattress can ventilate.

I've ordered the Byer of Maine Military Cot and I'm going to try it without a mattress first. It's supposed to be here Thursday. If it is not enough for me, I have a Coleman self inflating sleeping pad, it's about an inch thick, I'll try putting that on it. If that's not enough, I'll look into some memory foam at that point. Either way, I'll post here to tell how it is.