Where to go to avoid summer heat?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alaskan bugs aren't just mean, they are vicious.
You got that right! I used to work for ARCO back in the day, up at Point Barrow, and during the summer, the mosquitos were so thick they blocked the sun. These aren't little mosquitos; they feed on carabao, bears, and such and can stand flat-footed and #&$* a polar bear. We're talking bad-assed bugs!

In Arizona the Flagstaff area used to be fairly nice in the summers, nights were often quite cool. Going further up in elevation enhanced the effect, but I understand camping up in the higher places like Lockett Meadow isnt as easy as it once was.

In the Northern Rockies theres often snowfields leftover here and there through much of the summer This was July 15 of 2008 at around 10,500 to 11,000 ft elevation. I had the dogs out to play in the snow, they are taking a break in this picture. Snow seems even more fun when its hot in the lower elevations. The pink algae that grew on the snow stained their feet red.

Ive slept out under the stars at around 10,000 ft elevation and had frost on my pillow and sleeping bag early in the morning in July.

IMG_0440 - reduced.jpg

I have a place in the Colorado Mountains that I spend much of the summer at. Elevation is about 9,000 ft. But currently I’m in Whittier, Alaska and it is pretty chilly (about 65 at 4:00).

We are dealing with this as well. Just spent a beautiful night at The Wedge in the San Rafael Swell area of Utah. 6350 foot elevation. Rains make it humid.

Two nights ago we were at Great Basin Upper campground at 9930’ elevation. Senior pass, only $10 a night. We did not have reservations and got lucky.

Tonight we will find something outside of Vernal, UT before heading to Wyoming. We’ve been on parts of WY where you can park on the side of the road. Also, Skyline Drive near Huntington was just under 10K’!