Where to go to avoid summer heat?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrknmannavn

Reaction score
So there are many people who share where to go during winter months but I haven’t seen anyone share places to go during the summer months to avoid the heat.

Up... you need to gain elevation. Look at Google maps, you can put i t in terrain mode and it will show elevation... that said .. Mountains.. anywhere above 7k will be considerably cooler.

Or.. go North...

So there are many people who share where to go during winter months but I haven’t seen anyone share places to go during the summer months to avoid the heat.
Go up in elevation or go north to a coast.

Google up "following the 70s" for routes that - in theory at least - should keep you comfortable. But with climate change, who knows?

Just yesterday, I travelled from nearly 100 degrees at 3000 feet to a pleasantly breezy 75 degrees at 6500 feet. Took all of 40 minutes each way (staying at my daughter's).

I find 70's to be a bit too cool, at 77F I feel a little chill coming down from 90'. Got comfy with 80's, a plus is joint stiffness disappears. Can cope with low 90's even outside hiking, and riding the motorcycle provides a breeze. With 80's daytime, less likely to have 40's at night. I don't have aircon in my Class C, I have to deal with ambient air temps.

Best bet is high elevation, and how high will vary by place, but 5k to 10k ft depending. Anywhere near the west coast will be dry in summer; also ID, WY, MT, UT.

NM, AZ, and CO are all little wet in summer for me; "monsoon" weather from the Gulf.

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." Often falsely attributed to Mark Twain, but having lived there for many years it's not far off the mark. Generally when it's hot inland, the air rises and cool air is drawn in off the ocean. Crescent City is a great place to find cool air and fog.

Coolest summer spot not at altitude is Crescent City, California.... That area
True, the whole western coast is cool in summer... even most of the way down Baja, highs will be mid-high 70s. As you move up to the WA coast it's low-mid 60s. Fog is common, but not rain.

Don't know how good the boondocking is though. You don't have to go far inland to see high temps in CA. I did spend a couple months in the fall east of Fort Bragg in the redwoods, and it was nice.

Canada? Better value for the dollar and cooler.

Canada? Better value for the dollar and cooler.
Many parts will be cool... but with current gas prices at $6.85 in US$, I think you'll spend more, not less.

Going down from high 80s to low 80s as the max daytime here in Northern AZ by the end of this week. That is because this coming weekend, right on schedule, the monsoon season begins. Starting Friday chance of rain with thunderstorms on through that weekend.

So not too hot but now and again it might still reach 90. The rain is much needed in Arizona and New Mexico. The fire risk is very high at present and it appears a camper was involved in starting a forest wildfire that quickly ignited over a 1,000 acres in just a few hours. Happened 6 miles north of Flagstaff today. He was taken into custody by the National Forest Service personal, but no word on what the charges will be.

Best bet for a coolish and somewhat moist summer...the Olympic NFS rain forest area in NW Washington state. It has some high elevation camping as well as Pacific Coast camping.

Last edited:
T storms rolling through SW Utah, Cedar City to Beaver area, moving NE. Quite a drop in temps today.

About four decades ago, we visited chums in Fresno, California.
Daytime temperature -- 110°f.
Nighttime temperature -- 106°f.
During our three-day -- and nights -- visit, we toured the underground estate of an old Armenian from a century earlier, and this experience convinced us to bail on discomfort.
We headed directly west, through Fort Hunter Ligget and into the coast range.
Peaking with the east coast of the Pacific in sight, the air temperature dropped to a manageable 60°f or so.
Off with the shorts, out with the long-johns!
An aside:
Just north on Highway One, we stayed at a private campground...
... and pre-dawn, were Startled! Awake! by the screams of a burning child...
... but it was only one of the resident pea-cocks.
I could easily strangle the dang thing, and instantly fall back asleep with a smile.
But I didn't, so I carry this smoldering memory as testament to a rare moment of civilized behavior.
That 'trying to get along with people I do not know and probably despise' was a 'Kodak' thing, so enjoy it.
They are few and far between...

Last edited:
You could spend summers in Alaska! Although the Fairbanks area does get into the 90s now and again.

Sea level rise? LoL, naw; too many super rich with coastal property. That said, the best way to escape the heat is a higher altitude or air conditioning. I'm down here on the Texas and Lousiana gulf coast most of the time, and once used to the heat and humidity, it's not bad. I have a 27-foot class C, and with my solar setup, I can be down on the beach and run my overhead A\C from 10 to 4 pm with no problem if the sun's shining. After that, I have a 6k BTU window unit built into the rear that only uses 450 watts when running and is on a thermostat. Besides that, get up around 7 to 9 thousand feet, and it gets nice and cool; nippy at night. But everybody else has the same ideas, and this is tourist season for mountain states. I'm currently parked in a storage lot in Houston (with hookups), doing some upgrades and tweaking some wiring, and I'll be ready for the road again.