Where to Build?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffopts

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I hope I'm posting in the right thread here. I did some searches but didn't find anything covering this question.

My wife and I are selling a condo. Next, we're going to buy a van and convert it.

What we don't have is a garage. We work from our laptops, so we're wondering where to build our van.

We're considering buying a small (25 feet or so) camper to live out of while we build the van. I figure we can resell it once we're done. Which will be cheaper than an Airbnb somewhere.

But we still need a location.

We're in the US and are not restricted to any specific state or location.

We're considering Mexico as well.

Any tips, information, or resources would be huge.

Jeffrey

You could rent  a storage unit/garage type. You could also rent a house/apt with a garage for a month or 2 instead of buying a camper which probably would cost more than rent.

You could also park and build in the home depot parking lot.. would be great to have materials handy..

You could also focus on getting some of the basic living components completed quickly and finish the rest as you travel and live in it.

Have fun..

I would suggest you start now. Start with your internet requirement. Look at others builds and gather the components put the system together and see how it works for you. Start to get a handle of how much power you will need. Mock up the interior of the van in your living room. Do a simple mock up and get an idea of where everything goes. Get your mattress to fit the dimensions you will use in the van and sleep on it, see if it works for you. Start cooking using what you will use on the road. Maybe make it modular so you can just slide it in or bolt it together or mount a panel with all the components. There are lots of items that may go on sale that you will need like a solar system. Maybe get a small cargo trailer to use to hold tools and items until you can install them. This all assumes a complicated build. There have been people that offered a place to stay while building before on this forum so research and see if they still do. Battery powered tools with solar or vehicle chargers allow you to build most anywhere but with a generator you can run more tools something to think about. Having a plug in makes a huge difference maybe a relative or friend will let you visit a few days and use their shop. Lots of lists and thought will determine where along with weather.

We have been doing planning and thinking about a lot of what you said. I have a basic blueprint, layout, measurements, cooking, electrical and plumbing instructions, links to materials, etc.

There's still plenty to take into account. If you know of anyone who's rented property to build on or is willing to help in that way, that's what we are most interested in.

We did have a plan for a location to build on, but that's fallen through. The state of the world means everything is changing rapidly. People's agendas are changing and adapting so it's been difficult in terms of our support system.

So exactly what will the build consist of, what type and size of vehicle. Will you require enough space inside a building to cut and paint full sheets of plywood? Will you need enclosed space for the vehicle? Will you need full hookups or living/working space. How long do you expect to stay? What time of year do you expect to start. There are rented shop spaces and hobby clubs that are in major cities. Some airports rent hanger space but check to see what they allow. I saw a youtube video about someone offering exactly what you are looking for they even offered trailers to rent while working on your project but I can’t seem to find it. They were attempting to start a business doing build outs along side DIYers. Letting people know exactly what your needs are will make finding exactly what you need easier.

Hi jeff and welcome to the forum, :). Just a couple of suggestions. I see you're planning on a Promaster. A lot depends on how much build out you really want to do, minimalist or jumping into the deep end head first, involving lots of time and lots of money. I can't help you with the latter, as I went very minimalist (might not satisfy a spouse) with my GMC van and only really built a bed, on my condo balcony, and bought a few furnishings for the inside. So in my case, think conversion time of just a few hours over a couple of days. One can easily get on the road in a week or so, and then gradually build up cabinets and whatnot over time when camping in the boonies. With a van, you'll likely be spending a "lot" of time outside in any case.

In my original build, I did spend a full week wiring the solar power system, but anymore I'd never do that again. Last fall, I tore most of that out and am going with a 1000W "solar generator", which will produce living space power and also run power tools when out in the boonies. No wiring, just connect a couple of plugs, and it's probably a lot safer than any DIY wiring setup if you're not proficient in that area.

Some links ... a minimal build, a beautiful build worthy of a showcase, jamies van build (probably defunct now), and some power sources.

https://www.jackery.com/pages/portable-power-stations
https://www.goalzero.com/shop/portable-power/power-stations/

So, just some thoughts. And one last one. If you really need to live similar to what S&B was like, a van might not be the best choice especially for 2 people, rather at least something the size of small Class-C with all the conveniences already built in.

Welcome,
I'm not in the US but the first floating home I built was on a mooring in a bay with no power tools, rented a small cabin/boathouse on the shore while completing the boat.
Second one, a motorhome was in a campground with power while I stayed in a smaller motorhome I swapped for the boat.
Third one another motorhome was built while staying in an RV park while living in the second MH.
Second boat was converted while living in the current MH parked up in a boatyard.
Now building a cabin on my own land while living and travelling in the last built motorhome with the boat laid up on the land.

What I'm getting at is, if there is a will there is a way and you'll find it. Should be some industrial type building available for rent around where you are or small parcels of land next to where you want to build the van. Bound to have WiFi available.

jeffopts said:
But we still need a location.

We're in the US and are not restricted to any specific state or location.

Man, I wish I had a location....oh wait...I DO have one of those!

Well, maybe...it kinda depends on where you want to be when you do the work and how long you think it might take.

My location is in the Texas Panhandle, but I don't have a garage and there is not much shade, and if the project didnt start until say, mid or late fall, then 'ol man winter can be a problem here. On the upside, I do have plenty of space, and electricity and water hookups....and there aren't any nosy neighbors.

I'm still working on this place so we might have to share a circular saw or a drill every other day...but what the heck...I have several bottles of handwash!  

Good luck on your project, let me know if you want more details.

Latest posts