Where are the used camper shells?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatCaretaker

Reaction score
Here and elsewhere people advise to look on Craigslist for a deal on a good used camper shell. What cities or areas have you found good deals in? In my area, Atlanta, seems like they're either for Tacomas or Silverados, and not very many. For a good one I would be willing to travel some. My truck is a '99 Ford F150. 

Seems like all the truck campers, or most, are out West! If I found one light enough for an F150 I'd go that route.

I use the craiglist app to search for keywords all over. For camper shell, i see them all over. If you have a standard bed, may be easier for you. I have an 8ft and see much less. Doesnt help my truck is bronze. Trying finding a topper that looks half decent in 8ft

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/for/6158824007.html

You could try classified ads in the newspapers, either online when free or the library. Also, pick up those free newspapers that sit at the grocery stores and such. I have noticed that most even have a "For Free" section in the larger cities, things they just want gone. Also, look at the websites of local radio stations as some of them now have "For Sale" areas. Yes, I'm old, I always think of the newspaper, but so do other older people wanting to get rid of stuff.

I am finding a lot of them in Florida from free to $100 but I am prepared to do a little fiberglass work.

Biggest problem is they are so model specific. I have been temped to build a wooden ledge around the top of my bed to adapt a topper that was a good deal.

bullfrog, I have done that before it works. the back door and tailgate are a little tricky but not bad. highdesertranger

One of the first flatbed campers I saw used a topper for a roof to enclose and keep things dry.

There use to be a topper shop near where I lived in Denver. hey had a rack just for the used toppers people took off when they replaced them.

Some places call them Pickup Caps try a search for that.

Frustrating thing to buy, Expensive new, Hard to find used, and dealers don't give you jack shit in value for them when you trade the truck in.

OutdoorFT said:
I use the craiglist app to search for keywords all over. For camper shell, i see them all over. If you have a standard bed, may be easier for you. I have an 8ft and see much less. Doesnt help my truck is bronze. Trying finding a topper that looks half decent in 8ft

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/for/6158824007.html

My truck bed happens to be an 8 footer! Maybe I should look into building a truck topper or camper after all...

CatCaretaker said:
My truck bed happens to be an 8 footer! Maybe I should look into building a truck topper or camper after all...

Im not handy or else I would do something handmade.  But with 8feet...theres alot to play with.

gsfish said:
CCT, After looking at your OP I noticed this line.

Are you talking about a "slide in camper"? (below)   A "camper shell" is pretty light even in fiberglass, I move an aluminum shell by myself.

4qeynu0.jpg

Guy

I think you hit the nail on the head here.......I believe too that he is thinking about a slide in camper.
If you want a light one, look for a popup truck camper......lighter and lower profile means better gas mileage too. A bit harder to find.

Jayco001.JPG

gsfish said:
I also made a little garage for my bike out of block walls topped with a camper shell. Worked great and didn't look too Sanford and Son. I thought so anyway.

cap.jpg

Attachments

• cap.jpg
    cap.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 11
gsf said:
I just searched for 'camper shell' in Craig's List in my little burg and there were twelve. I would think that there would be 50 in the Atlanta area.

Guy

No such luck. Closer in to the city, the fewer pickups you see and the more small cars. :(

gsfish said:
CCT, After looking at your OP I noticed this line.

Are you talking about a "slide in camper"? (below)   A "camper shell" is pretty light even in fiberglass, I move an aluminum shell by myself.

4qeynu0.jpg

Guy

I would love to have a slide in camper, if it was cheap enough, and lightweight enough for an F150. $$-wise and weight-wise a used shell is the more likely option. I am open to either

CatCaretaker said:
I would love to have a slide in camper, if it was cheap enough, and lightweight enough for an F150. $$-wise and weight-wise a used shell is the more likely option. I am open to either

If you haven't already, try a good boneyard. Many of these have some kind of direct link to other yards.
The front of an F150-specific shell will have a little different shape, slanted forward slightly, but any shell of the correct size (L + W) should fit.

I use "truck topper" on cl and get plenty of results. I'm looking for one too, for my 2005 f-150 4 door, 5.5' bed. I drove an hour today to look at one that came off a 2003, looked so close, loaded that heavy ass thing out of an airplane hanger and put it on the truck, would not fit!! rear was too wide. So fitament is definetely a problem. Like the old folks say "good things come to those that wait". Good luck!

Please don't repeat the same picture multiple times in a thread, it is very rude to people on slow connections on mobile devices.

If you don't know how to use the "Reply" button correctly, that's okay, just use the "Quick Reply " box at the bottom of the page and it won't repeat everything.