HELP: Condensation Problem & still very cold living inside my Truck Camper shell

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iluvyouthisbig

Reaction score
Hi! everyone, i am new to this truck/car/van living. I am converting my truck camper shell into a livable area. it is almost done, but i tried to spend the night in there, but it is still very cold, and there is condensation problem. I opened my two windows a little, and i also used reflectix for insulation, i got it from Home Depot (i put it on the floor underneath a large piece of wood, and all the windows have one too, but it is not good enough to block out the cold or retain the heat inside the camper shell).

** So does anyone has any advice to solve these two problems: to keep the heat inside my camper truck shell and solve the condensation problem.

tata

You don’t say where you are, or if you are using a space heater of any kind.

Sounds like you need a little heater.
You don’t say where you are, or if you are using a space heater of any kind.

Sounds like you need a little heater.
thank you, but what kind of small heater should i use? small ones.

Hi....

I live in my Grand Caravan and have a Big Buddy Heater and a 1" hole drilled in the floor to a hose to a 20lb propane tank.... You do need some air to not gas yourself and keep condensation down... I open a rear wing window... but it's a very efficient heater and full time 24/7 the tank will make 3.5 to 4 days...

There are smaller models that are less expensive but only have 1 burner.... I use only low heat and it's toasty at 30f... One of those should do it...
You'd need
Heater
Hose... Hoses usually come with plastic twist on wrench attached
Filter
Tank

There are also vented heaters but are more expensive and more set up hassle

Just Google Buddy or Big Buddy Heater... I have used mine for about 8 years so the price is worth it

Tim 😊

Before the van I was in RV for a decade and good luck stopping all condensation making heat in a metal can... Forced air like in a bigger RV hooked up to the grid solves that issue moving air around and drying... But an unvented propane heater will not... Propane is a damp fuel

Hi....

I live in my Grand Caravan and have a Big Buddy Heater and a 1" hole drilled in the floor to a hose to a 20lb propane tank.... You do need some air to not gas yourself and keep condensation down... I open a rear wing window... but it's a very efficient heater and full time 24/7 the tank will make 3.5 to 4 days...

There are smaller models that are less expensive but only have 1 burner.... I use only low heat and it's toasty at 30f... One of those should do it...
You'd need
Heater
Hose... Hoses usually come with plastic twist on wrench attached
Filter
Tank

There are also vented heaters but are more expensive and more set up hassle

Just Google Buddy or Big Buddy Heater... I have used mine for about 8 years so the price is worth it

Tim 😊
Thank you, Tim, I’ve heard about big buddy heater, but I don’t want to use propane in my truck camper shell and I don’t want to drill a hole anywhere. the space of my truck camper is small (like 8 feet x 5 feet) .

Last edited:
Before the van I was in RV for a decade and good luck stopping all condensation making heat in a metal can... Forced air like in a bigger RV hooked up to the grid solves that issue moving air around and drying... But an unvented propane heater will not... Propane is a damp fuel
☹️ I guess I will just open the windows a little more ? But it is cold outside though

Welcome to vehicular living. It's always an adventure.

Reflectix is aluminum foil covered mylar bubble pack material. It is useful as a radiant barrier. Aluminum foil is useless as an insulator. Foam insulation sheets, spray foam, corrugated cardboard, or carpet pad and carpet can actually insulate. Insulation can keep in the heat you have.

Fuels like propane, diesel fuel, charcoal, and candle wax are usually called hydrocarbons. They are made mostly of hydrogen and carbon. When burned with oxygen they make CO2 and water. When you exhale, your breath contains water. Condensation will be a problem. A burning device that puts the exhaust outside reduces the inside moisture. A wood stove with a chimney to outside, a propane RV furnace, or a diesel heater will do the job. An unvented propane heater like a Mr. Heater Little Buddy makes for serious moisture. A camp stove has the same moisture problem. With breathing and combustion you must ventilate, ventilate, and ventilate.

If you have a place to plug in to commercial power, a small 3 speed 1000 watt electric heater will keep you warm and dry. I have a Little Buddy and an electric heater. For me, staying in Florida helps a lot. Last night it got cold, too cold for my taste. Warm clothes and a sleeping bag help with the cold but the moisture is a constant problem. I hate scraping frost and ice off the inside of the windshield. That is very rare in Florida.

Welcome to vehicular living. It's always an adventure.

Reflectix is aluminum foil covered mylar bubble pack material. It is useful as a radiant barrier. Aluminum foil is useless as an insulator. Foam insulation sheets, spray foam, corrugated cardboard, or carpet pad and carpet can actually insulate. Insulation can keep in the heat you have.

Fuels like propane, diesel fuel, charcoal, and candle wax are usually called hydrocarbons. They are made mostly of hydrogen and carbon. When burned with oxygen they make CO2 and water. When you exhale, your breath contains water. Condensation will be a problem. A burning device that puts the exhaust outside reduces the inside moisture. A wood stove with a chimney to outside, a propane RV furnace, or a diesel heater will do the job. An unvented propane heater like a Mr. Heater Little Buddy makes for serious moisture. A camp stove has the same moisture problem. With breathing and combustion you must ventilate, ventilate, and ventilate.

If you have a place to plug in to commercial power, a small 3 speed 1000 watt electric heater will keep you warm and dry. I have a Little Buddy and an electric heater. For me, staying in Florida helps a lot. Last night it got cold, too cold for my taste. Warm clothes and a sleeping bag help with the cold but the moisture is a constant problem. I hate scraping frost and ice off the inside of the windshield. That is very rare in Florida
Omg, so I wasted my time insulating my truck camper shell with reflectix. Omg, and thank you so much all these information. You are very knowledgeable. Thank you, I guess I will buy a very heavy duty sleeping bag. Maybe open the windows a bit more, I am not gonna use heater for now. Thank you so much.

This is a temporary solution but may get your through the coldest nights. While running the truck heat of your heat reservoirs. These can be water bottles, rocks, terra cotta tiles, etc. Get them as warm as you can and then place them in your bedding with you. They wont last all night but will keep you warm while you drift off to sleep.
Remember, your goal is only to keep your shell “warmer”. Not balmy. Winter is tough for all northern van lifers.

Yep, reflectix is not insulation. It's a radiant barrier, great for putting up against windows. Propane produces moisture on its own. Want to heat the space without dealing with moisture? Electric, vented propane, vented diesel, or wood fireplace are the way to go. Otherwise, you really to crack the windows and vent, vent, vent! If you heat the inside space, anything that isn't insulated and is directly conductioned to the cold, outside air, you will get condensation on those surfaces. I've tried many different heating solutions and always end up fighting condensation. I know your struggle...

This is a temporary solution but may get your through the coldest nights. While running the truck heat of your heat reservoirs. These can be water bottles, rocks, terra cotta tiles, etc. Get them as warm as you can and then place them in your bedding with you. They wont last all night but will keep you warm while you drift off to sleep.
Remember, your goal is only to keep your shell “warmer”. Not balmy. Winter is tough for all northern van lifers.
thanks for the tips.

Yep, reflectix is not insulation. It's a radiant barrier, great for putting up against windows. Propane produces moisture on its own. Want to heat the space without dealing with moisture? Electric, vented propane, vented diesel, or wood fireplace are the way to go. Otherwise, you really to crack the windows and vent, vent, vent! If you heat the inside space, anything that isn't insulated and is directly conductioned to the cold, outside air, you will get condensation on those surfaces. I've tried many different heating solutions and always end up fighting condensation. I know your struggle...
I guess it is not easy to live inside a vehicle, but i think it will be fun, thank you for the information.

What is the low temperature there? If it is freezing and there is ice on the windows you should find a warming center and invest in cold weather gear. Coats and sleeping bags are rated for the low temperature range. There are also reflective hats (for sleeping) that work well.

In my pickup I built a bunk in the cab back seat (more insulated than the topper.) I ran the buddy heater for 10 minutes then off. After 10 minutes the bunk area was hot. I also used window covers in the cab to help retain heat. I cracked a window for fresh air. Between my winter bag and the dog I stayed pretty warm for about 4 hours. Then I ran the heater another 10 minutes.

I used the big buddy heater (more stable) with the small green bottles that screw on. Also have a hot drink to warm your core before you go to bed. Wear a vest, a hat and wool socks plus long underwear for sleeping. The thick Cuddle Duds at walmart are cheap & warm, will last several seasons.

There are some arctic camp boots that I love called "baffin boots" about $50 from the mail order. I sleep in mine.

Even if you drive south to Arizona, you will need this gear. It has been in the 40s at night and some cold mornings.

Consider buying a propane bottle and hose for bigger storms. Those propane bottles last forever or at least till the end of the storm.
-crofter

What is the low temperature there? If it is freezing and there is ice on the windows you should find a warming center and invest in cold weather gear. Coats and sleeping bags are rated for the low temperature range. There are also reflective hats (for sleeping) that work well.

In my pickup I built a bunk in the cab back seat (more insulated than the topper.) I ran the buddy heater for 10 minutes then off. After 10 minutes the bunk area was hot. I also used window covers in the cab to help retain heat. I cracked a window for fresh air. Between my winter bag and the dog I stayed pretty warm for about 4 hours. Then I ran the heater another 10 minutes.

I used the big buddy heater (more stable) with the small green bottles that screw on. Also have a hot drink to warm your core before you go to bed. Wear a vest, a hat and wool socks plus long underwear for sleeping. The thick Cuddle Duds at walmart are cheap & warm, will last several seasons.

There are some arctic camp boots that I love called "baffin boots" about $50 from the mail order. I sleep in mine.

Even if you drive south to Arizona, you will need this gear. It has been in the 40s at night and some cold mornings.

Consider buying a propane bottle and hose for bigger storms. Those propane bottles last forever or at least till the end of the storm.
-crofter
I am in CA, about 40 - 50 degree at night. No snow, but it is still cold at night . Thank you so much for your tips.

Wow. So many kind people in this forum. I am so surprised that I got so many good advice from you all. Thank you 😊

My truck bed aluminum cap has a bed rug liner inside. My bed is a -20F sleeping bag on plywood platform which I can add an extra wool blanket. I pull out a 12V electric blanket on cold nights powered from 2 100W solar panels with 2 LIFPO4 batteries which also powers my fridge. I have Dupont SuperTuff 1in insulation boards cut around the truck bed walls. The metal floor of the truck bed is not insulated because most heat rises. I have thermal roll up curtains on the cap windows. I notice some condensation frost forms mostly on the metal parts of the truck cap.
I am working on installing same 1in insulation boards inside the cap roof and walls.

Hi! everyone, i am new to this truck/car/van living. I am converting my truck camper shell into a livable area. it is almost done, but i tried to spend the night in there, but it is still very cold, and there is condensation problem. I opened my two windows a little, and i also used reflectix for insulation, i got it from Home Depot (i put it on the floor underneath a large piece of wood, and all the windows have one too, but it is not good enough to block out the cold or retain the heat inside the camper shell).

** So does anyone has any advice to solve these two problems: to keep the heat inside my camper truck shell and solve the condensation problem.

tata
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL_BZpt0J9Kqwy6YPWr30ow is Mav a youtuber in a F-150 with a camper shell. Almost all his videos are in the snow and you might get some ideas about staying warm.