HELP: Condensation Problem & still very cold living inside my Truck Camper shell

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I insulated my van with Havlock wool (the best from sheep in Australia), because it absorbs moisture when humidity is above 60% and releases it back to the air when below 60%, retards mold growth, absorbs and holds harmful chemicals, and is a good sound barrier as well. They say you should not use a "moisture barrier" with it, for moisture barriers always fail resulting in
I don't know how much vertical space you have in your shell (I would imagine not very much) but in my Dodge Caravan I found that being on the floor is awfully cold. Getting up off the floor seems to be a key to comfort. If that's not possible, I'd look into as much thick closed cell foam pads to go under me as possible.

If you're still too cold, others have mentioned diesel heaters and I second that. The heat from them is wonderfully dry.
I find that even below freezing I usually have to crack a window to let some heat out and that's on the lowest setting.
I don't know how much vertical space you have in your shell (I would imagine not very much) but in my Dodge Caravan I found that being on the floor is awfully cold. Getting up off the floor seems to be a key to comfort. If that's not possible, I'd look into as much thick closed cell foam pads to go under me as possible.

If you're still too cold, others have mentioned diesel heaters and I second that. The heat from them is wonderfully dry.
I find that even below freezing I usually have to crack a window to let some heat out and that's on the lowest setting.

don't know how much vertical space you have in your shell (I would imagine not very much) but in my Dodge Caravan I found that being on the floor is awfully cold. Getting up off the floor seems to be a key to comfort. If that's not possible, I'd look into as much thick closed cell foam pads to go under me as possible.

moisture that cannot escape.

If cabin air is free to flow over the inside of your cabin's outer skin, of course that's going to cause dew to form on it with water droplets running down, just like on the outside of a glass of ice water. So insulate the outer skin from such airflow.

And propane is largely made of hydrogen which burns by combining with oxygen in the air to form water, so you'll always have moisture problems when using one of those. Everyone does. That's why I put an actual furnace in my van, isolating that propane flame behind steel which ventilates the flame to the outside of my vehicle. In your case, sounds like a small diesel heater is what you need to do the same moisture-free job.

And in the meantime, leave an RV desiccant bucket in your living space. They're typically used for winterizing
I second the sleeping bag. Plus you can add the liner of choice to keep it clean and aired.

My focus was to keep my core warm, as I was not spending much time sitting or sleeping. Vest, hat, & socks plus a good set of long underwear are essentials for winter dwelling.

Keeping the rig at optimum temperature is a waste of time IMHO, better to be warm in layers at whatever the temperature is doing.
-crofter

boats and RVs to prevent mold developing from humidity issues. You'll want one with a mesh or screen top so if it tips over while you are driving it won't spill the desiccant material. It will trap moisture and won't release it back into the air.
My camper shell is too small to put Havlock wool for insulation I believe. 8 x 5 feet only. So I want to go with an easy method to insulate my camper shell, but I will be buying some RV desiccant bucket though. Thanks for you advice 😁

The vertical space inside the camper shell is about almost 4 feet, I can not stand up straight in it. I only put reflectix on the floor for insulation, and a 1/2 inch ply wood on top of it , abs then a thin carpet on top, I have a cot bed. I am looking into a diesel heater

On my van's metal shell floor, I laid down the 1" blue XPS foam from the hardware store. On top of that, I unrolled a layer of white linoleum which I'd already pre-cut to the width of my van. So I have a very comfortably soft floor for when I need to be down there.

I've seen pictures of nomads' knees with serious calluses on them from using their knees as feet to walk around in their low-topped vans. Mine is a high-top van; but still, the foam under the linoleum is wonderfully soft on my knees when I get down to pull a box from under the bed, or handle other floor-level needs. It's so comfy, giving no pain. I cringe when I see van videos of people putting down hardwood floors, as I think "Why???"

The Linoleum is white to keep the van well lighted, and there is no carpet because I'd have no way to keep a carpet clean. But a simple broom works great on my linoleum.

Ever try buying one of those heated blankets that runs off USB connection? They won't use a lot of battery and solve the condensation problem too. I also use a dog cooling mat during hot weather placing it under my back/shoulders and head.

Doesn't seem like a 10 watt electric blanket would be very effective.

Ever try buying one of those heated blankets that runs off USB connection? They won't use a lot of battery and solve the condensation problem too. I also use a dog cooling mat during hot weather placing it under my back/shoulders and head.

Doesn't seem like a 10 watt electric blanket would be very effective.

Tell me about the dog cooling mat and your experience with them if you would. How well does it work?

I hadnt heard of them before seeing your post and looked it up for a crash course on the principal of operation.

I’ve seen some use the thick padded and quilted CHEAP moving blankets from Harbor Freight and line the floor and walls with them. I think that’s the very cheapest thing you can do.
https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=Moving blanket
If all else fails get a few cats and dogs. They are warm. 😁

When it was colder, my dog liked to lay against me in my down bag with her feet sticking out. id open it to about knee level and lift it up, shed lay right up against me and id cover her up, we slept warm down to around zero, out under the stars. This was my first dog, a yellow shepherd/something cross, and at least one of my malamutes has done similar. One was standing on me in my sleeping bag until I let her in when it was around zero I believe.

If the morning dew is heavy, excess ventilation will actually increase interior condensation. But if the inside is damp and stuffy in the morning, then increasing ventilation is necessary. A hearty dinner and a plump sleeping bag should be what keeps you warm.

I’ve seen some use the thick padded and quilted CHEAP moving blankets from Harbor Freight and line the floor and walls with them. I think that’s the very cheapest thing you can do.
https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=Moving blanket
If all else fails get a few cats and dogs. They are warm. 😁
Oh, thanks for your advice. I might buy the moving blankets and heated blankets. 😊😁

When it was colder, my dog liked to lay against me in my down bag with her feet sticking out. id open it to about knee level and lift it up, shed lay right up against me and id cover her up, we slept warm down to around zero, out under the stars. This was my first dog, a yellow shepherd/something cross, and at least one of my malamutes has done similar. One was standing on me in my sleeping bag until I let her in when it was around zero I believe.
I love dogs, but I am too scared to get one, I don’t even know what I want to do next myself (just got divorced), so I won’t be getting a dog for now, but I really love dogs 🐶

If the morning dew is heavy, excess ventilation will actually increase interior condensation. But if the inside is damp and stuffy in the morning, then increasing ventilation is necessary. A hearty dinner and a plump sleeping bag should be what keeps you warm.
👍👍👍😃

On my van's metal shell floor, I laid down the 1" blue XPS foam from the hardware store. On top of that, I unrolled a layer of white linoleum which I'd already pre-cut to the width of my van. So I have a very comfortably soft floor for when I need to be down there.

I've seen pictures of nomads' knees with serious calluses on them from using their knees as feet to walk around in their low-topped vans. Mine is a high-top van; but still, the foam under the linoleum is wonderfully soft on my knees when I get down to pull a box from under the bed, or handle other floor-level needs. It's so comfy, giving no pain. I cringe when I see van videos of people putting down hardwood floors, as I think "Why???"

The Linoleum is white to keep the van well lighted, and there is no carpet because I'd have no way to keep a carpet clean. But a simple broom works great on my linoleum.
Thanks for your advice 😃

I solved the shivering problem for myself with this 12-volt mini heated car blanket. Heats me up when I first crawl into bed, then I turn it off to save battery power. If I wake up cold in the night, I repeat the same process.
If you have enough solar and battery those are also nice to just stick under your coat on cold evenings. The typically use ~40W on high, so not a lot.

Years ago I had read that walls sprayed with urethane foam insulation with a minimum of 1 1/2" thick on walls and ceiling would thwart the condensation problem. You could also build a floor with wooden 2X2's, spray foam between them then then top off with plywood sheets. Of course the condensation on the windows will have to be wiped with a towel. In this way condensation wouldn't be a problem and you'd have an extra warm camper shell. Just make sure you also have operable air vents for fresh air.

Due to thermal bridging the interior surfaces are sweating like a cold glass of lemonade on a hot summer day. Only it’s cold on the outside and warm on the inside. There isn’t much you can do but put on a pair of long johns and turn down the heat.

USB, Cig Lighter, or Acc Plug - It's all DC power. Any will work from your 12V system. Just don't be too cheap. Read reviews and look for one with more control than just on/off.

To keep yourself warmer you could also put a sheet of reflectix directly below your sleeping bag, which should help radiae some of your warmth back to your body. If you have any extra left.

If the problem is condensation and not just heat, I have had good luck with various anti-condensation products. Some I bought at the Dollar store. Just 1 example is the Camco-44284-Moisture-Absorber-Refill on Amazon for about $5. I now use one that plugs into my 12V system.