Where are the hybrid cargo vans?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Suanne,
I was considering the Prius V to live in the suburbs/ city out skirts etc. No travelling except to work.
1. How could I possibly be stealthy with a small passenger wagon like a Prius V?
Saleman said I could limo darken all the windows except obviously the windshield.. but isn't that suspicious?
Then I would need a divider between front seats and behind them so onlookers could not see inside.
2. Is there ANY other van or mini van that has naturally more stealth AND has this Toyota feature for leaving AC or heater on as I sleep?

Thank you very much.

Toyota has been selling a hybrid mini-van in Japan since 2001, called the Toyota Estima. It is a similar platform to the Sienna in the US. It gets 44MPG and is even AWD. Sadly Toyota never believed that it should be brought to the US. I saw rumors of Toyota launching a Sienna hybrid in 2014/2015 in the US finally. I'd be willing to bet it won't get as good of fuel economy nor will it be AWD, just a hunch.

Suanne,

I was just checking out your blog, very nice! You are using the hybrid capabilities of the Prius just as I was hoping to use a hybrid van pretty much. I think it's perfect, just wish I could get it in a van package with AWD!

vanvanvanvan123 said:
1. How could I possibly be stealthy with a small passenger wagon like a Prius V?
2. Is there ANY other van or mini van that has naturally more stealth AND has this Toyota feature for leaving AC or heater on as I sleep?

I'll start with #2: I don't know of any van or mini van in the US Market that has the Toyota feature for AC while sleeping. I remember hearing rumors as early as 2005 that the Sienna was going to come out as a hybrid ... but, so far that hasn't happened.

#1: I would make a Prius V stealthy the same way I've made my Prius Liftback stealthy.
- Tint windows as dark as legally allowed.
- Install the little plastic window awnings because it allows you to crack the windows for circulation without appearing so. It also keeps the rain out.
- Get bed coverings that are black in color so as not to draw the eye of passers by.
- Get storage containers in black, or cover them with black polyester fleece. Again, black doesn't draw attention of people passing by.
- Store everything below window level except for the portion of the hatch area that you don't use for a bed.
- Install black polyester fleece curtains. I hang them just behind the front seats, over the two passenger side windows, and from the back where the hatch hinges at the roof. I tie them back when driving.
- I use black polyester fleece curtains for several reasons: 1) they are mat black (vs. shiny) so they absorb light. 2) to the casual observer it appears they are looking into an empty car, 3) they don't ravel (no sewing), and 4) they don't wrinkle.
- Wear black sleep clothes in case the curtains part.

The other part of being stealthy is picking where and how to over night. This is what I try to do:
- Pick someplace that is legal to park overnight. Most Walmarts, rest areas, and truck stops are some examples. Or, go to the police station and just ask.
- Scope out a place to sleep overnight during daylight hours.
- Prepare for sleep away from the place where you'll park to sleep.
- When ready to sleep, go to the place you picked earlier and go to sleep as soon as you can.
- If you must use a light, then use a red one.
- Leave immediately upon waking up.

I don't know how much my experience fits with your need to be stealthy, but I hope this information helps.

To see more details of how I've set up my "Prius RV," go to my blog and look at the links in the right-hand column ... http://SuanneOnline.blogspot.com

Suanne ... still enjoying the sunshine of the desert southwest

AimlessWanderLust said:
Maybe even put a few solar panels on the roof to help extend the battery for house usage and/or increase fuel economy

Are you familiar with any hybrid vehicle application that uses solar to add charge to the hybrid (drive train) batteries. (The same batteries that allow you to run the AC while sleeping.)

I don't follow the Prius/hybrid forums much anymore. But, last I heard no one was able to successfully do that hack. So, am very curious if you know something different.

Suanne ... whose thinking about getting a solar trickle charger for her starter battery (12v) ... just in case :)

Here is another idea for people who love to tinker and work on projects. They make fork lifts that are 100% electric and some people are taking those motors and putting them into small cars to make their own electric vehicle.

I have a friend who intends to do that except he will put it in a mini-van. I have no idea how practical that is except it would be way to much work for me. Even if it all worked you still have to charge the batteries.

Just an idea.
Bob

vanvanvanvan123 said:
Suanne,
I was considering the Prius V to live in the suburbs/ city out skirts etc. No travelling except to work.

A used minivan might better meet your needs. 24 MPG (if you drive it correctly) and much more room than a Prius. The purchase price savings will pay for all your gas and more.

A minivan will never be totally stealth. Tint the windows after the B post 100% black and hang an occlusive black blanket behind the front seats. Most folks won't give it a second look. This will be my vacation build in a year or two.

I've been finding that at least Daimler/Chrysler/Mercedes Benz have been experimenting and have actually built "concept" or "prototype" hybrid sprinters as early as 2006!! Whyyyyyy can't we buy one!!!!

Looks like it's finally beginning to happen and there will be hybrid Cargo Vans available to the General Public in 2017:) FINALLY!!!

I found an article about the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid (http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/11/2017-chryser-pacifica-hybrid-minivan-detroit-official/), which is really a plug-in minivan that will get 80 MPG for 30 miles until the high-voltage batteries are depleted. After that 30 miles (assuming you're starting will a full high-voltage battery), you'll get the same MPG as if it were not a hybrid. What is that; about 20 MPG?

Given that most of the mileage I put on my vehicle is when I'm driving at least a hundred miles in a day, a plug-in 30-mile hybrid just doesn't make sense. That said, I'm glad the automotive industry is starting to look at making hybrid vans.

I see Honda is making a hybrid minivan for the Japanese market. But, I don't see anyone but Chrysler making a minivan for the US market. And, I don't see any hybrid cargo vans available. Can you provide a reference, link or other information, Daralyn, for the 2017 hybrid cargo van?

Chevy/GMC is putting small diesel in their big cargo vans next year which should increase MPG significantly and XL motors actually turns Chevy/GMC and Ford cargo vans into hybrids.  They say it will increase MPG by 25%. The battery pack/motor adds 350 pounds to the van. I don't know how much it costs or if it's aimed only at fleets.

http://www.xlhybrids.com/vehicle-platforms?url=/hybrid-van-available-now

Attachments

• XL-CargoVans-US-FLY-8.5x11-0519-LR.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
cortttt said:
Chevy/GMC is putting small diesel in their big cargo vans next year which should increase MPG significantly and XL motors actually turns Chevy/GMC and Ford cargo vans into hybrids.  They say it will increase MPG by 25%. The battery pack/motor adds 350 pounds to the van. I don't know how much it costs or if it's aimed only at fleets.

http://www.xlhybrids.com/vehicle-platforms?url=/hybrid-van-available-now

[img=1x1]http://cdn.oas-c18.adnxs.com/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/default/empty.gif[/img]

Coca-Cola Beefs Up Hybrid Van Fleet
October 27, 2014

The Coca-Cola Company plans to more than double the number of hybrid full-size vans in its service fleet by early 2015 and eventually reach a 10 percent replacement level for the fleet, the company's fleet manager told AutomotiveFleet.com.

Coca-Cola is adding 140 additional gasoline-electric hybrid Chevrolet Express 3500 vans by early 2015 to go with the 103 it had in the fleet at the end of 2013, said Tony Eiermann, Coca-Cola's fleet manager of assets and value management. Coca-Cola is partnering with XL Hybrids to add the XL3 parallel hybrid-electric drive system.

The company's investment in the conversions has added more than 20 percent to the range the vehicles can travel on a single tank of gasoline. The system also reduces carbon emissions by about 20 percent, according to XL Hybrids.

After the initial order, Coca-Cola ordered 70 more converted vans in the spring and an additional 70 earlier this month. The company is now taking delivery of vans ordered in the spring. The vans will be assigned to Coca-Cola service technicians that make calls to repair vending and fountain machines serving the company's beverages.

The vans upfitted with the XL Hybrids system feature regenerative braking technology, which is charge-sustaining and doesn't require a plug. During operation, the van’s OEM engine continues to run with help from the XL3 electric motor, thereby using less fuel.

"The reason we went with this technology is because it's very simple," said Eiermann. "The biggest thing for Coca-Cola is if for any reason this system fails, we can still operate the van. It goes into a bypass mode."

The company can service the vans at any of its more than 200 fleet garages around the country by ordering readily-available replacement parts. The van's lithium-ion battery pack, for example, is sourced from Johnson Controls.

"From a fleet manager's perspective, having a low risk technical solution is a good selling point," said Clay Siegert, vice president and co-founder of XL Hybrids. "We source our hybrid components from large component suppliers, and have achieved a 99.9 percent vehicle uptime over 4 million miles with our customers."

The 240 hybrid vans are included within Coca-Cola's 3,600-vehicle service fleet. Coca-Cola also operates a delivery fleet of heavy-duty trucks. Coca-Cola operates about 26,000 on-road vehicles, including the single-axle and tandem-axle trailers.

NB: EEeek! Please forgive me- just saw your thoughts about this on another post <facepalm>!
I'd delete this post- if I knew how to do so! LOL
I . need. coffee.....
Thanks for kind forbearances!
Fairlight

Suanne said:
>>  Hopefully, hybrid mini vans will hit the market too (which is my personal preference).  I'm hoping that I don't need to replace my Prius before Toyota sells a hybrid van or minivan.  I'll stick with Toyota technology because their hybrids allow you to turn the vehicle on and use the AC while sleeping without the ICE running continuously, except when needed to keep the drive train batteries charged (for about 5 minutes every half hour in my Prius).

I'd also like to have the option for AC while sleeping, etc.- as I'm an asthmatic who needs that option.
However, I think that the Prius would be a bit small for me! :) (am still in the planning stages),  but am SO happy that it works for you! :) 

Understood about the desire to stick with Toyota technology- but did you see this?  
Would love to hear your thoughts! 
Thanks! 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/auto...ectric/ar-BByDJBe?li=BBnb4R5&ocid=mailsignout

I like how they called a vehicle whose engine won't charge the battery a 'Hybrid'
*singsong voice* some one doesn't get it
This is more a 'boosted' conventional vehicle than a hybrid
I dunno if the battery pack would run an AC all night, I sort of doubt it
Wake up, Chrysler, we already have it 'done right' just not in a minivan

I would speculate with ArtW that the high voltage batteries would not run the AC all night even assuming that the Pacifica's AC is run off the HV batteries similar to Toyota's hybrids.

Thanks much for the link to that newest article on the Pacifica though.  Maybe Toyota will get their competitive juices flowing and give us a hybrid Sienna.

Suanne ... enjoying a leisurely morning lounging in the Prius

Van-Tramp said:
I'd love the increased fuel economy, but would a hybrid vehicle suit van-dwelling?

- Where would you plug it in when you are in need of a charge?
- The van would likely weigh more and have even less power (not a good combo).
- Would they really get much better MPG? Most modern hybrid cars do not *really* get that much better MPG over their gasoline-only-powered cousins. Many Prius owners say they are lucky to get 40 MPG. Small gas and/or diesel engines can already surpass that without the need for hybrid tech.
- Massive cost for all those batteries to be replaced (5-8 years lifespan from my understanding)
- Those batteries are NOT eco-friendly. The cause many tons of pollution to be made and shipped over to the USA (from China). So while it may feel green, they are in fact very "black" for the environment, many times more so than if you drove a 1960's V8 for the rest of your life... I wish more Prius owners thought of this before buying one of those cars; bottom line, A Prius causes more pollution than a standard car, just from manufacturing and shipping the batteries.

Top Gear (UK automobile TV show if you did not know) did a test on fuel economy: A Prius against a 6-cyl BMW. The Prius did laps around the race track as fast as it could (harsh driving, such as mountainous climbs) and the BMW simply followed it at the same pace as the Prius. The BMW got better fuel economy than the Prius simply because it did not strain to maintain those speeds (better power-to-weight ratio). Using the Top Gear mentality, it may just be better to get a van with a higher power-to-weight ratio for the best fuel economy. For that, you want a diesel engine, not hybrid.

Here are a few of the best MPG vans (from fueleconomy.gov)
Chevrolet Express 1500 2WD 6 cyl, 4.3 L, Automatic (4), Regular Gasoline = 16 Combined MPG (19 Hwy)
Ford Transit Connect Van 2WD 4 cyl, 1.6 L, Automatic (S6), Regular Gasoline = 25 Combined MPG (30 Hwy)

In comparison, my 1989 Dodge B250 2WD 8 cyl, 5.9 L, Automatic (3), Regular Gasoline = 12 Combined MPG (14-15 Hwy)

Even with my normal driving of 10,000 miles a year, it would save only $550 in gasoline over the course of the entire year, less than a half-tank per month. And this is not even including the added costs of the car payments, increased insurance and registration, and higher maintenance costs of a newer vehicle.

If "saving money" is the primary goal of owning a hybrid, than owning any newer car (hybrid or not) is not accomplishing that. Yes a new car may get better MPG and save at the pump, but you pay tens-of-thousands more to save only hundreds each year.
also, a regular Prius, like I have, gets estimated 53 US mpg in town (over 160K which is 100,000 US miles) that's what I've gotten. The Prius v wagon, only a couple feet longer and a couple hundred pounds heavier, gets (US) 10 mpg less. So the slight difference in weight caused a major penalty.

Few things to consider why do the majority of hybrid owners not purchase another hybrid when it's time for a new car. Second your going to be buying used so now you have two propulsion systems to maintain. Likely going to need to replace batteries, just like commercial vans companies dump them about the time engine or transmission will likely need expensive repairs. Finding someone to fix it when your out in the boonies and unless you are city driving you get the same mileage as conventional van. To me hybrids are a stop gap technology with limited long term use.

Latest posts