Where and what brand solar panel did you buy

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm all about buying american made goods... I'll go out of my way NOT to buy Chinese junk. I have plenty of tools I've bought from China that are in the garbage. I'm prob going Kyocera for my trailer. I'm $aving up now.

akrvbob said:
I own 2 Kyocera panels, one Trina and one HEG panel.

The Kyocera is a better panel. If you go into a store with numerous panels on display and look at the frame, you'll see that the Kyocera frame is thicker and has more crossbars. If that will translate into a real difference in the long run I don't know.

Kyocera makes it's panels in San Diego. Does anyone think it's a good idea to support American workers?

The small Kyocera panel are way overpriced, but the big ones are just about as cheap as you can buy. They are so close in price per watt to the cheap Chinese panels I think they are a much better deal.  

The problem is that the big panels are so expensive to ship that if you can't get one locally they will be much more expensive after you include shipping. They are also high voltage so  you can't buy a cheap disposable controller.

Did anyone ever hear of Renology more than 1-2 years ago? Is that really enough time to make you think they are reliable?

I have  Kyocera panel on my roof that's 6 years old and still producing 100%. How old is the oldest panel of everyone here?

Bob

What the hell is Morning star thinking? I know but still!!!
The Knock Outs are minimum 1.25" and Max 1.5". Holly smokes yet the internal wire lugs are max #2 wire. I realize per NEC those would be the appropriate sized KO's.
But for pete sake, they don't even have any smaller such as a pair of 3/4" which would be just about right for I'm guessing a lot of mobile installs.
When I went to get clamps and saw the size of a 1.25" right angle cable clamp I about S**t./ No room for that so back to the drawing board.
Ok I'm done ranting, LOL Have a good night folks.
Mike R

Bob brought up a point I hadn't thought about and that was the frame of the panels. Until I received these two used panels I never had my hands on one. MY panels are joined by two 1.25" aluminum angle pieces bolt and screwed across 80% of the frame. Seems very strong. I now call it one big single and it is mounted at each corner with one bolt. I felt good about this as the frames seems very strong. The entire panel rides in free air nothing is resting on a cross member.

any thoughts on this? Anyone ever see a frame break? I can purchase another roof rack for about $75.00 and take one of the cross bars and slip it in under the middle, add some thin padding, rubber etc and have a support that is not directly attached to the panels.Downward force would be supported, negative G force would not, but this is not a roller coaster. 

MikeRuth said:
Bob brought up a point I hadn't thought about and that was the frame of the panels. Until I received these two used panels I never had my hands on one. MY panels are joined by two 1.25" aluminum angle pieces bolt and screwed across 80% of the frame. Seems very strong. I now call it one big single and it is mounted at each corner with one bolt. I felt good about this as the frames seems very strong. The entire panel rides in free air nothing is resting on a cross member.

any thoughts on this? Anyone ever see a frame break? I can purchase another roof rack for about $75.00 and take one of the cross bars and slip it in under the middle, add some thin padding, rubber etc and have a support that is not directly attached to the panels.Downward force would be supported, negative G force would not, but this is not a roller coaster. 

I have 3 racks and discovered on my Chevy the middle rack is the high point.  I am still trying to figure out how to mount my Solarworld panel.  I purchased a couple 1 inch square tubes 8 feet long I can mount the panel to on the long edge and could screw the front directly to roof rack but need some kind of  bracket to attach to rear rack as the square tube is more than an inch higher than the rack.  I like the angle brackets you made.
A SEEKER
A SEEKER

MikeRuth said:
Do yo u have any pics of your rack now?

No pictures yet but will take some when I get back.  Mine are cross tread 400 series which are there cheapest aluminum square tube racks.

Like any product, "efficiency" is key. Or "density." I've been reading about the Sunpower brand as the most efficient, in the 20-25 per cent range. Anybody used this brand?

MikeRuth said:
And are you satisfied?

I'm in the market for a pair of 100 Watt panels and a controller.
Been shopping around and thought, lets ask those who have already purchased panels.

So how about a comment on the panels you bought, and your thoughts., Price, quality etc.

Thanks,

Mike R
Renogy took my money, pulled a con on me and didn't ship.
AVOID RENOGY AT ALL COST.

Why are people mounting thier panels on racks?
Me I got 2 x150w 1x100w 2x50w all renogy. I got a renogy mppt controller also.

They mount to racks to leave an airspace under the panel for ventilation and shade for their vehicle.

Not my experience at all. Renogy has shipped fast and given me plenty of technical help. The panels are well built and mounted with no problem.

I bought the Renogy premium 200w kit via Amazon.
So far, I'm loving the kit, with no issues or complaints.

I am deeply concerned however with the way a simple conversation on this forum can so often become a bashing. Sometimes a comment is given, and someone takes issue, then all hell breaks loose...

Please stop it. Why can't the question just simply get answered, without a bashing over this choice or that one. Much like a ford vs chevy thing.

I don't know how many times I've just stopped reading a thread because of the non-essential commentary.

It seems to occur most often when a question of "what would you" gets answered as a "you should"... 
It appears to be a suttle difference, but some fail to see that difference, and use the opportunity to confirm their actually unrelated opinion.

My apologies for this rant...