Where and what brand solar panel did you buy

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am used to working with "leftovers" this is not a pissin match. It's also not rocket science. Panels are the gasoline controllers the carburetor and batteries the gas tank.. nuff said, lets git over it and move on

66788 said:
If you don't mind losing $500.00 as you have done on a good time, then why ask? Just buy panels.

Because I am no fool! and when you have a source such as this you use it!

MikeRuth said:
Because I am no fool! and when you have a source such as this you use it!

+1

And my apologies for my part in distracting your thread.

66788 said:
I think all the people who buy Renogy panels will be regretting their purchases after a few years and the panels degrade considerably in performance.

It is my understanding that Renogy does not use silver in the production of their photovoltaic panels like the name brand panels. The panels with silver, both monocrystaline and polycrystaline have lasted over 30 years of constant use with minimal degradation.

I've always been suspicious of the quality of Chinese products and find that they tend to be made from cheap materials. I don't think that this case will be any different.

BTW, I have Kyocera panels and they have a proven track record. I would take a used Kyocera over a new Renogy.
I don't think you can casually dismiss Chinese manufacturing as inferior, if you'll remember everyone said the same about Japanese products a few years ago. Kyocera panels are assembled in the US from solar cells made in Japan (and probably Mexico by now).

The Renogy panels are well made and have a 20 or 25 year guarantee on them. I bought a Renogy 100 watt poly starter kit including charge controller (for $104 from Amazon!), and I have had no reason to regret that decision. I have added a second Renogy 100 watt poly panel ($130) and a ViewStar PWM controller (~$80). The only thing I might be a little shy on is storage, I think I need a larger battery. I'm nearly always 'fully' charged before 11:00 am...

This is a quote from Wiki:
"Kyocera maintains production bases for photovoltaic cells and solar modules in Japan, Mexico, the Czech Republic and China."
Hmmm, China where everything is inferior...

anm said:
This is a quote from Wiki:
"Kyocera maintains production bases for photovoltaic cells and solar modules in Japan, Mexico, the Czech Republic and China."
Hmmm, China where everything is inferior...

Kyocera does maintain a manufacturing plant in San Diego, which I think is the real basis of contention. But again, not the purpse of t he thread.

Seraphim said:
Kyocera does maintain a manufacturing plant in San Diego, which I think is the real basis of contention. But again, not the purpse of t he thread.
From everything I've read it is just assembly...

There isn't necessarily anything wrong with "Made In China", as long as the American company buying their products/parts holds them to a realistic standard of QC, with frequent inspections, and refusal to use them if the quality falls.

anm said:
From everything I've read it is just assembly...

It is just assembly. In 2010 the office there hired 75 people to begin manufacturing (assembling) the panel's. Last year, 85 people were laid off from the plant. Not sure how many people were added between those two dates, but reports are output from the plant has drastically reduced, because local orders have dropped significantly. The next closest plant is Tijuana, which can cover any large orders the reduced San Diego plant cannot.

Not to disparage Kyocera. I merely checked the analysts report on their stock...

LeeRevell said:
There isn't necessarily anything wrong with "Made In China", as long as the American company buying their products/parts holds them to a realistic standard of QC, with frequent inspections, and refusal to use them if the quality falls.

Generally, things made in China for US companies are made to the parent company's specs - just like Renogy panels. Chinese manufacturing doesnt have the quality taint it once did. You can still buy cheaply made Chinese products, the same as you can any other country's. 'made in Japan' once had the same stigma. But since they've spent decades stealing Japanese designs their constructions have greatly improved, hence their rise in the market, and the rise of their economy.

Japanese tech rose on its own merit.

Those numbers were only from Kyocera's solar division in San Diego. The correct number laid off was 85 part time and 25 full time solar employees. Kyocera still employees, across all its divisions, about 675 people as of last year.

Down from a total of 800 in 2009

With mounts, you'll need about 69" x 42", at a guess. Have you that much room?

With an MPPT controller, you'll get a max amperage 18.38. At a guess, 14.7 amps might be the max to expect.

First number is theoretical.

Just a couple of random thoughts

anm said:
The Renogy panels are well made and have a 20 or 25 year guarantee on them. I bought a Renogy 100 watt poly starter kit including charge controller (for $104 from Amazon!), and I have had no reason to regret that decision. I have added a second Renogy 100 watt poly panel ($130) and a ViewStar PWM controller (~$80). The only thing I might be a little shy on is storage, I think I need a larger battery. I'm nearly always 'fully' charged before 11:00 am...

Using a system sizing formula that I've often seen used by moderator BB over at the Northern Arizona Wind & Sun forum, your current PV array can comfortably support a 106Ah battery bank with a 10% charge rate, assuming the equivalent of 4 hours of "good sun" per day:

(200W PV array * .77 derating) / (14.5V charging Voltage * .1 charge rate) = 106Ah battery bank

The reason for the derating factor is that PV systems seldom achieve their rated output, due to factors such as high panel temperature and charge controller inefficiency.

The minimum charge rate suggested on the NAWS forum is 5%, and that's primarily a maintenance or intermittent battery use rate. Of course, if you have additional sources of charging current, you can support a larger battery bank for a given PV array.

If possible, you might want to schedule opportunity loads for early afternoons, when your battery bank is generally fully recharged.

Sorry for the thread drift, but these things happen.... :angel:

That's about what I thought too, I'm about 35 amp hours shy.

Presently my battery is only charged by the solar panels, but I'm going to modify the system so in an emergency I can charge the house battery from the alternator. That should allow me to eliminate any chronic under-charging...

To follow up in a way on my original posting here, I have acquired two panels. Work is keeping me busy and from posting much lately. I have purchased two Kyocera panels rated at 120 Watts, performed a quick voltage test and I'm quite happy. They are used and in very good condition. I'm sure they will work out fine. I'l do a proper post as soon as I can.
Mike R

MikeRuth said:
To follow up in a way on my original posting here, I have acquired two panels. Work is keeping me busy and from posting much lately. I have purchased two Kyocera panels rated at 120 Watts, performed a quick voltage test and I'm quite happy. They are used and in very good condition. I'm sure they will work out fine. I'l do a proper post as soon as I can.
Mike R

Congrats on the Kyocera panel find.  Sounds like you have put together a really good system for yourself at a good price.  Let us know how the installation goes.

Three years ago I found a Canadian solar 220w and a Schott poly 230w. They were left overs from installs and cost $50 each. Last year I found a matching set of Bosch 245w for $85 each but they were monos, so now I'm selling all but the Schott poly and am looking for a matched set of polys. They will probably be from a Native American company that builds panels and sells near here. Selling the old gear will pay for those and a decent controller. I'll keep the Schott poly as a portable.

Another test follow up on the used panels. I had a chance to wash them down, lots of old dust and dirt built up on the back and around the Jboxes. 
Afterwards windexed the glass. The surface of these panels as far as I can tell is in prefect condition. No cracks, scratches dings etc. In fact the frames are in excellent condition as well. One side of one has a small dent. One has the OEM Jbox cover the other has a replacement non OEM, but it seals just fine. I'm actually happy they did not come with MC4 wire and connectors as I didn't intend to use them anyways. Diodes are in, and the internal of the Jboxes is nice and clean. No corrosion. 

As I mentioned they are Kyocera 120 Watt 12 volt panels that are approximately 10 years old. 
Spec on the panel is Voc-21.5 Volts and Isc is 7.1A
In morning sun(9:30 am) and clear sky I read off on both 21.5V and 6.5A Not flipping bad! I did hand hold them and tweak for the best, LOL. 

So next up to get my roof rack off and start working on a mount. I've mentioned in another thread that I was considering a linear actuator to raise and lower them. For now since my engineering mind is tired I'll do a basic mount yet make the passenger side pivot just in case I get the gumption to do an actuator. They will mount length wise for and aft of the van. 

Mike R

I hope you post up some pics and info if you tilt them especially if you make it powered. highdesertranger

MikeRuth said:
So next up to get my roof rack off and start working on a mount. I've mentioned in another thread that I was considering a linear actuator to raise and lower them. For now since my engineering mind is tired I'll do a basic mount yet make the passenger side pivot just in case I get the gumption to do an actuator. They will mount length wise for and aft of the van. 

Mike R

Are you going to mount them on your rack?  I am going to pick up my panel in the morning so gonna have to figure out some kind of hinged mount.
A SEEKER

A SEEKER said:
Are you going to mount them on your rack?  I am going to pick up my panel in the morning so gonna have to figure out some kind of hinged mount.
A SEEKER

Yes, and I have, ALMOST :)
I'm going to start another thread for just the panel install but I did mount them to the rack today and in a crude way I do have the ability to tilt them but not easily or with an actuator yet. 
fd920471-b873-4e4d-a90a-6753e3e898d0_zpsulo4i24m.jpg
[/URL][/img]

I made these brackets
20150213_190113_zpsde41glzn.jpg
[/URL][/img]
Once the U bolts are cut down and secured with self-locking nuts there will be access to that pivot bolt. 
Question is what to use there. The one side can remain bolted snugly, but the other side needs some kind of easily removable pin system. 

Latest posts