What's your opinion about kitchens on vans?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
highdesertranger said:
yeah I have done the minimal thing for about 50 years, nothing wrong with it, I enjoyed minimalist camping having been a backpacker when I was younger I know all about it. I would just like an indoor bed, kitchen, shower and toilet. I have been out when it rains everyday for days on end, or snowing. once we were out and we saw every type of precipitation known to man over the course of a couple of days. it wasn't fun cooking out side under those conditions. I will still have my outdoor kitchen and use it most of the time. also like I said I like a shower now and again, using public showers gets expensive. highdesertranger

I'm in total agreement with you. That's why I ended up with the Step Van conversion. Permanent shower, hot and cold running water, full size bed and a 7 foot ceiling. Everything is a trade off when it comes to this lifestyle, so figure out what is important to you and proceed from there.

When it comes to taking a shower, I like it long and hot. Sounds almost p@rnographic, huh?? Taking showers at the gym affords me the luxury. They give me clean towels so I don't need to provide one myself, nor have to do the laundry to clean it after. They provide the soap, use of blow dryers, toilets, etc. I usually take a shower for up to 20 minutes...as I said, long and hot, haha! I know, I know, a waste of water. Sometimes I cut it down to only 10 minutes. If I had to replenish the water supply in my van (or Class B RV, if I had one), I'd have to take the hassle of driving to a dump site to replenish the water and dump out the waste, which would be a pain. Plus the dump site would charge what...around $10 or $15 for each time? Geez, I'd rather pay for a gym membership than to get my hands dirty. Obviously, if you boondock out in the sticks, then you have little choice. But for anyone nearby town, going to a gym is way easier. Just my opinion.

I'm all for using the gym as much as possible. Having a shower on board may be nice but then there is the concerns of adding moisture to the inside of your vehicle...even with a vent fan. There's also the concern of having a small leak unseen until the floor begins to rot out. Finally there is the convenience factor of not having to supply towels, soap, hot water, etc. and the other amenities that come with a gym vs showering in your vehicle as well as the clean up work.

I plan on having a shower available to me in the form of a quick set up version for those times when I can't get to or find a gym. Best one I've heard of is a hula hoop with attached shower curtain over a basin to catch the water and a sprayer. In good weather and quiet surroundings I suppose the rig can be set up outside so clean up isn't as much a chore. Also, having a kitchen with a small sink will allow sponge baths in between showers if needed.

while the gym may work for you guys, there are not many(none) where I go. I can usually find pay showers, but they are approaching 10 bucks a shot. highdesertranger

I just purchased a cargo van and will be taking it slow on my build. I plan on keeping things real simple, a least to start, both to keep expenses down and to see what works and doesn't work for me without having to waste too much money on things I don't really need. I have wood shelfs along one side of the van that was used by the previous owner in his tile business. I plan on keeping them and using them for the time being. For my sink, I will use a 5 gallon bucket and hang a "solar shower" as my water supply for washing dishes, my hair, and use it outside for showering (if boon-docking). The five gallon bucket will have a snap on lid so it can be used as a gray water tank and also as a seat, if need be. A spray bottle and a wash cloth sounds like the way to go for a simple wash when a shower source is not available.

Having had multiple systems in an RV I owned. I opted for no systems in my van. Now there are no problems with water leaks, smelly holding tanks and expensive repairs. I follow the KISS principle: 5 gallon water can, simple shower, bucket toilet (wag bag) and cook on my propane stove outside the van.

I'm not in a van, a bigger class C 27' with the perks. Trade offs with everything. I can not stealth. But I can still boondock, and have my kitchen, shower, and queen bed. It's paid for, so it's what I have for right now. Everyone has things they like which might not be what the next person likes.

Not many gyms where I travel most of the time, so I'm glad to have my RV with shower. I use my kitchen a lot while camping, so I like having it. If I ate out all the time it would really add up, so I cook. Since I try not to have to visit the dump station often, I conserve water. And then again, it takes not 5 minutes to dump, don't see what the big deal is about that. Have gloves handy and wet wipes. Heck, outdoor sprayer near my valves if it gets too bad, which it hasn't yet.

20141005_190145.jpgas much as i liked having my sink in my van i believe i am going to love my fridge even better. i was originally planning on having both and putting the fridge in-between the two front seats but i like being able to go from front to back so i got rid of the sink and went to a sterilite box/spray bottle to wash dishes plus i use it for storage when not in use.

i redid my counter so i could store my fridge, moved my batteries together for easier access and went back to my bigger water jug. also mounted my inverter and added a shelf cubby for a little more storage
the fridge will go where my cooler is in the pics I'm just waiting for it to become available since they are on back order until the end of november. here are a few pics of the new set up.

Attachments

• 20141005_190145.jpg
    20141005_190145.jpg
    162.4 KB
  • 20141005_190331.jpg
    20141005_190331.jpg
    126.6 KB

Latest posts