What's the big deal with 6v batteries?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, sorry if I confused you.  That wasn't what I was saying.

This was meant as a generality as to how relabeling sometimes works.

I think I'm going to drop out of this thread before I cause any more confusion.

Having an older rv with a charger that won't do what is needed with new technology batteries when I replace the old charger with a modern one will there be additional wiring or installation costs? The previous owner had two six volts that he replace with one 12 just before selling it to me, and I want to go with two cheap sixes from tractor supply until I can get my charger and solar installed.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I think I'm going to drop out of this thread before I cause any more confusion.

As someone said in the classic movie Sling Blade:  "You shouldn't be that-a waay!"  You have a rare and valuable ability to cut to the chase.

As for relabeling in general, I remember an eye-opening story from a classmate in business school.  Similar to you at a young age, but in a factory, he had a job working summers doing vegetable canning.  Assembly line stuff.  He said that he saw them running the machines, filling cans with green beans one day.  Thousands whizzing by, labels for "Kroger" (or whoever) being slapped on at light-speed.  Then, all got quiet as the machines were stopped.  A few minutes later, after only the label spool was changed, the whole thing started up again, sucking beans from the same hopper, but this time they were making "Del Monte Green Beans"!

----------

Although I'd still like opinions on the questions I asked in the last page or two, maybe I can redirect to another related topic:  

Best 6v for the price  (best quality for the lowest price).

As I was researching, in my ignorance of 6v batteries, I finally arrived at the Lowe's Deka batteries and they were the cheapest at about $140 each.  Seemed a great deal.  Then a few here referred to them as expensive, which surprised me.

So, can someone provide examples of 6v batteries, still on par with Deka, that would cost less?

Vagabound

Either the Deka batteries work well or they don't. Once you establish either case, then speculation about why they do or don't might make some sense to me. As it is, this has become a debate about branding, which has nothing to do with are the batteries good or not.

Sears and Walmart do not manufacture batteries. They could have several different manufacturers making them for them. Group 24's could come from China, Group 31's from Taiwan etc.

Deka is free to make batteries anyway they see fit if they put their label on them. They can change their design anytime they want, or even have a dozen different designs at the same time. They could have someone else make them if they liked and just put their label on them. Who knows and who cares?

So, do they work good, or not?

DannyB1954 said:
... As it is, this has become a debate about branding, which has nothing to do with are the batteries good or not.

No, not exactly.  It might look that way, but on my part, it is an attempt -- albeit a longer one than I anticipated -- to learn if those batteries are what they seem to be before I (or others) spend money on them.  That is very practical.  But thanks for helping to re-focus the conversation on that point.

Sears and Walmart do not manufacture batteries. They could have several different manufacturers making them for them. Group 24's could come from China, Group 31's from Taiwan etc. 

A misunderstanding.  No one said they did.  They were the retail outlets only, similar to Lowe's in this case, none of which are manufacturers of batteries.

Deka is free to make batteries anyway they see fit if they put their label on them. They can change their design anytime they want, or even have a dozen different designs at the same time. They could have someone else make them if they liked and just put their label on them.

I don't think anyone here is failing to understand basic capitalism. ;-)

Who knows and who cares? 

I don't know, but I do care.  Explained above.

So, do they work good, or not?

Like you, in the end, this is what I really care about and what all this conversation was intended to answer -- about Deka batteries in general, and about the ones in Lowe's in particular.  The first has been answered by a couple of people.  The second, not yet.

So, if the Lowe's batteries are normal Deka batteries, then there is nothing left to answer. If not, then there is.

Vagabound

I don't recall where you are located Vagabound. but around here(SO CAL) you can get Trojan T-105's for $120. maybe cheaper if you shopped around. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I don't recall where you are located Vagabound.  but around here(SO CAL) you can get Trojan T-105's for $120.  maybe cheaper if you shopped around.  highdesertranger

I'm nowhere yet! ;-)

What you said would be wonderful news.  Just one hang-up -- Amazon shows that battery for $335. Is it really possible that someone sells something 3x cheaper than Amazon?!?

Vagabound

Vagabound said:
I'm nowhere yet! ;-)

What you said would be wonderful news.  Just one hang-up -- Amazon shows that battery for $335.  Is it really possible that someone sells something 3x cheaper than Amazon?!?

Vagabound

Do you have a golf course nearby?

They order gc-2's by the pallet full, you might even be able to get some used batteries they are replacing that have enough capacity remaining to be a good learner house battery and perhaps charged only the core charge for them.

If you are in Canada, Rolls Surrette are manufactured there, are usually pricey, but are pretty much the best deep cycle flooded battery available.

holy cow $335 for a T-105, unbelievable. I wonder what they do about the shipping. I heard that it is impossible to ship a flooded battery by USPS, FEDX, or UPS. maybe that's why they are 335 bucks. sterns suggestion of a golf course is a good one find the golf cart maintenance guys. highdesertranger

East Penn manufactures Deka batteries. Right here in the USA. The Deka batteries I saw at Lowes were labeled very clearly with that information. Duracell lead acid batteries are Deka. Duracell is a Deka brand. I bought GC2, 230 amp hour from Batteries plus Bulbs for $109 each. They make a smaller GC battery at about $89. They are made in Pennsylvania, so may be a bit cheaper on the east side. I don't know how anyone could claim they are from China.

highdesertranger said:
holy cow $335 for a T-105,  unbelievable.  I wonder what they do about the shipping.  I heard that it is impossible to ship a flooded battery by USPS,  FEDX,  or UPS.  maybe that's why they are 335 bucks.  sterns suggestion of a golf course is a good one find the golf cart maintenance guys.  highdesertranger

I thought it might have been an AGM (which also seem to exist in T-105), but not.

Both below from Amazon's page for this battery:

* Comment's section:

Q:  "How can you charge such an exorbitant price? [Here they] are at most $125!!!"

A: (Seller) "Please note that this price includes shipping which is costly due to the fact it has to be shipped freight. By Blue Grass Wholesale on March 4, 2016"

-----

* Product Description:  "WE CANNOT SHIP FLOODED LEAD ACID BATTERIES VIA FEDEX OR UPS. "

So, they don't mention USPS, but I looked it up.  Answer:  Cannot.  See 348.21 - Nonmailable Corrosives which mentions lead acid batteries.

-----

To SternWake:  Your idea about a local golf course (or someone else who buys in bulk) sounds pretty good.  Might be a way to avoid most if not all of the shipping cost.

Vagabound

Optimistic Paranoid said:

Thanks.  Worth pointing out that the second link -- Battery Giant -- says that you have to buy six batteries.  In order to get free shipping anyway.  Fine print.

Don't assume that Amazon always has the best price

As of now, all "assuming" ceasing. ;-)  Thanks for the mini-education on that point (because I was assuming).  And thanks for hanging in the thread.

Vagabound

ccbreder said:
East Penn manufactures Deka batteries. Right here in the USA. The Deka batteries I saw at Lowes were labeled very clearly with that information. ... I don't know how anyone could claim they are from China.

Hey, ccbreder, thanks for checking that out in person.  Good to know.

Vagabound

Almost There said:
I bought my T105REs from here:

http://www.thesolarbiz.com/?gclid=CJin9JHYq88CFQKTaQodXwQChQ#gsc.tab=0

They arranged for me to pick them up at a battery warehouse closest to me. There was a small pick up charge involved but since I was getting 4 batteries it was negligible in the total scheme of things.

Just in case anyone wants to include this in their price comparisons:  I contacted Solar Biz to ask about the pick-up charge.  They first replied, "The fee is based on the size of the order. Typically it is between $35.00 - $75.00."  So I asked about the fee for one 6v battery, and the answer was: "The pick up fee for 1 x T105 battery is $35.00." In retrospect, I should have asked about two batteries instead. Still not used to the idea of buying new things in two's!

Vagabound

So to clarify in my mind, given I want AGM batteries only, 2-6v AGM batteries (Trojan) in series is my best route???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought two Trojan T-105's for $100 each from a golf cart place in Mesa, AZ. The price included my two trade-in 5 year old 6V Interstates from Costco.

There are usually these places in large cities, and they flood CL with ads.

Make sure you are not paying T-105 price for T-605 class batteries. Same size, lower AH rating. For example, the Costco interstates were $90, the "same" batteries at the interstate dealer were $160. Costco=T605 Dealer=T105. 105's are better.

I'll let you know if it matters in 5-6 years. :rolleyes: The golf cart shop guy told me with solar charging only, I should see 8 years of life.

Van Lady said:
So to clarify in my mind, given I want AGM batteries only, 2-6v AGM batteries (Trojan) in series is my best route???

I'll let someone else answer that, but one related comment FWIW.  Even from the vendors with the cheapest prices, the T-105-AGM batteries that I saw were twice the price of the normal 105's.

Vagabound

Latest posts