What's the big deal with 6v batteries?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Van Lady said:
So to clarify in my mind, given I want AGM batteries only, 2-6v AGM batteries (Trojan) in series is my best route???

While 2 gc-2 flooded batteries will out cycle an equal capacity in 12v flooded batteries without exception, the same cannot be said when one adds  AGM to the equation.

There 'might' be no benefit of 220AH of  AGM in 6v format over 220AH AGM in 12v format.

It has to be somewhat manufacturer specific whether the plates are actually thicker.

not many reports out yet  on trojan reliant AGMs cycle life in actual use.

Consider Lifeline and Full River AGM too.  Lifeline AGM is pretty much top dog in deep cycle applications

Firefly carbonfoam AGM are another one with not yet enough longevity reports as of yet, but they are 500$ per group31(12v)

All AGMs want the occassional high(er) amp recharge, and getting to 100% is required more often than on flooded 6v gc-2s which are more forgiving of  abuse or imperfect charging.

AGMS are not a simple solution to offgassing.  they cost 2x as much and require a bit more attention to the recharging to gets ones money out of them.  Their price does not make them a super battery and immune from abuse.

SternWake said:
While 2 gc-2 flooded batteries will out cycle an equal capacity in 12v flooded batteries without exception, the same cannot be said when one adds  AGM to the equation.

There 'might' be no benefit of 220AH of  AGM in 6v format over 220AH AGM in 12v format.

It has to be somewhat manufacturer specific whether the plates are actually thicker.

not many reports out yet  on trojan reliant AGMs cycle life in actual use.

Consider Lifeline and Full River AGM too.  Lifeline AGM is pretty much top dog in deep cycle applications

Firefly carbonfoam AGM are another one with not yet enough longevity reports as of yet, but they are 500$ per group31(12v)

All AGMs want the occassional high(er) amp recharge, and getting to 100% is required more often than on flooded 6v gc-2s which are more forgiving of  abuse or imperfect charging.

AGMS are not a simple solution to offgassing.  they cost 2x as much and require a bit more attention to the recharging to gets ones money out of them.  Their price does not make them a super battery and immune from abuse.

Thank you!

Either I am starting to understand this stuff more or you are responding in simpler language I understand ........... I do not know which, but I like it!!!!

If 6v AGM cannot produce the benefit that 6v flooded can there is no point to getting them. I just keep reading about the benefit of going with 2-6v. I will start looking at 12v Lifeline.

I will FINALLY be ready to purchase the battery and start putting this van together soon. It will be cool enough to start working outside again in a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Van Lady said:

Either I am starting to understand this stuff more or you are responding in simpler language I understand ........... I do not know which, but I like it!!!!

I'll tell you what ... he's definitely on a roll!  Ditto.  :)

Vagabound

Latest posts