Whats the best way to attach a flexible Solar panel to a van Roof?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One Awesome Inch

Reaction score
I just bought a Renogy 100w flexible solar panel. As I mentioned in another thread, I am going to paint the white parts black so that it looks much less like  solar panel. Better stealth.

I was not going to go the solar route, but it looks like my choices are more limited than I thought. I was planning on just using a jumper pack or two and charging them up at my kids place. However, it seems my soon to be ex-wife is turning out to be much less considerate than I thought she would be. She wont let me wash my clothes while I am looking after the kids while she is at work. This has indicated to me that I really need to be completely self-reliant. Thus my change of heart to going full on solar.

Since I signed up for the 30 day trial of amazon prime (which I dont plan on renewing) I figured I might as well buy the panel now and put it to use.

My question is... what is the best way to attach a flexible solar panel to a van's roof?

I don't want it to be permantently mounted to the roof as one day I will want to take it off when I switch vans. I was thinking of screwing it onto some plywood first and then glueing the plywood onto the roof. However, I am not sure that is the best solution. I would rather avoid a roof rack (hence the flexible panel).

Ideas?

One Awesome Inch said:
I just bought a Renogy 100w flexible solar panel. As I mentioned in another thread, I am going to paint the white parts black so that it looks much less like  solar panel. Better stealth.

My question is... what is the best way to attach a flexible solar panel to a van's roof?

I don't want it to be permanently mounted to the roof as one day I will want to take it off when I switch vans. I was thinking of screwing it onto some plywood first and then gluing the plywood onto the roof. However, I am not sure that is the best solution. I would rather avoid a roof rack (hence the flexible panel).

Ideas?

Gluing plywood to the roof?   :huh: 

I don't know how you would remove that :huh: 

I used a roof rack and camoed the panel with aluminum angle.

Attachments

• s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    759.1 KB · Views: 35
GotSmart said:
Gluing plywood to the roof?   :huh: 

I don't know how you would remove that :huh: 

I used a roof rack and camoed the panel with aluminum angle.

You could attach the panel to the plywood using T Nuts... easily removable too. However if the plywood was glued to the roof it would be very difficult to get off. The question is if the van is 'done' does it really matter? It wouldnt be visible from the road.

Just wondering if there is a better solution that doesnt involve screwing into the roof of the van or using a rack.

One Awesome Inch said:
You could attach the panel to the plywood using T Nuts... easily removable too. However if the plywood was glued to the roof it would be very difficult to get off. The question is if the van is 'done' does it really matter? It wouldnt be visible from the road.

Just wondering if there is a better solution that doesnt involve screwing into the roof of the van or using a rack.

A month ago I was informed that Renogy was working on obtaining a 3M product to attach things.  Since you are OK with using a glue, Perhaps you can epoxy a fitting to the roof and attach the panel that way.   :huh:

i would look at using something like EternaBond tape.

http://www.amazon.com/EternaBond-RS...id=1433042953&sr=8-2&keywords=eternabond+tape

Second question in Customer Questions (on Amazon) answers this question.

1 inch overlap, all the way around the panel should hold it well.  It would be difficult, but not impossible to remove without damaging the paint on the roof.  To remove the panel, just cut along the edge.  Use the tape to hold the wires going into the van from flopping in the wind.

-- Spiff

3M makes a VHB double sided tape that would work.  I know of many people who have used it for regular solar panels using four corner no drill mounting brackets.  You wouldn't need the brackets for a flexible panel.  Just tape the corners and a couple of places mid panel.

I did not put a link for you as Amazon has a lot of choices for this.  Just look for 3M VHB tape.

Use the space-age tape adhesive to put some angle stock on the van roof, then bolt the plywood base to that, with the solar panel attached to the plywood. Easy to unbolt the ply/PV Panel to transfer to the next vehicle using similar glued/taped angle system on it. Next owner of your old van decides how to deal with the angle stock on his roof. He might use it to attach his solar panels!

Reviews on the VHB tape says it can get gooey on super hot days. The roof of the van can get hot so it looks like the Eternabond looks like a better route.

However, another option I have thought of is using  two peices of 1 inch by 6ft (etc) strip of aluminum. Using L brackets I could drill holes into the rain gutter thing (to which ladder racks are attached). Then using the eyelits built into the panel , bolt on the aluminum strips.

There is a lot of wind on the roof of the van at highway speeds so whatever I do has to be very strong.

pop rivet it to the roof, drill hole, a dab of silicone or some other sealant, then pop rivet it or screw it down. when you have to remove it just drill out the rivets or unscrew, remove the panel install new rivets into holes on roof with a new dab of sealant. If you start messing with brackets, plywood etc... you may as well have bought a regular panel. your stealth has vanished. It won't leak if you are worried dab another glob of sealant over the rivets, but I wouldn't worry about it. The only reason you would put plywood or something else under the panel would be to remove some of the heat build up in summer but I doubt that will be a big issue in Vancouver at least most of the year. As far as painting it black I think you are wasting your time and expect your x wife to become more disagreeable and protective of her space. Good luck with all that.

I will be avoiding any unnecessary holes in the roof. It rains like crazy here in Vancouver. Holes just invite the inevitable. I am putting Fantastic Fan and am already very leary of doing what it takes to get that installed. However, I feel that roof vent is pretty much essential to ensure comfort.

That said, if there is a viable alternative, which I believe the Eternabond is, I will pursue that.

I looked at the roof of the van today and the idea of the strips of 1 inch by 6ft aluminum wont work. Well, I could make it work, but then its basically not too far from a roof rack.

As to the ex-wife... I agree. I need to be 100% self-reliant which basically means I'm spending alot of money on solar etc than I had planned. Luckily I have the money.

Now that we are getting divorced she is hearing "no" from me much more often than she is used to. That may very well strain the relationship further, but she will be angry alone. I am so done with all her bullshit.

Thanks GotSmart!

Question...

I'm now thinking of using the Eternabond tape since I have it... and after some reading it seems very well regarded. My question is should I try to plug up the rain channels on the roof of my van that will be underneath the solar panel? In one way, I would just like to leave them open and just let the rainwater pass thru. However, my concern is that if I leave the rain channels open, when I am driving (especially on the highway) air will flow thru the rain channel and push up. Over time that may cause the Eternabond tape to loosen and result in a problem.

If I endeavor to plug them up I am concerned that rain water will eventually get in there.

Ideas?

We are currently testing a new product to make the panels stand up about a 1/2 inch. (spacers)  They should be good at normal speeds with air flow.

This YouTube couple used industrial strength velcro (apparently recomended by Renogy)

the problem I see with leaving the channels open is with debris getting in there. leaves, pine needles, and such. I see this as a big problem. they will hold moisture. rot your roof. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
the problem I see with leaving the channels open is with debris getting in there.  leaves,  pine needles,  and such.  I see this as a big problem.  they will hold moisture.  rot your roof.  highdesertranger

Go to the car wash, peel off the panel one side at a time, and blast it out with the spray.  

Before you set the panels, do a good cleaning job.

highdesertranger said:
the problem I see with leaving the channels open is with debris getting in there.  leaves,  pine needles,  and such.  I see this as a big problem.  they will hold moisture.  rot your roof.  highdesertranger

That is an excellent point. Once the panel is on, I want it to be low maintenance.

I still don't have a plan to put this panel on in which I am 100% confident in.

Hmmm....

got smart you are assuming there is one of those car washes handy. in several areas I go to they are few and far between. as far as mounting the panels most people I believe want to mount them and forget them. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
got smart you are assuming there is one of those car washes handy.  in several areas I go to they are few and far between.  as far as mounting the panels most people I believe want to mount them and forget them.   highdesertranger

You have to clean them to get the best results out of them.  Just like your van.  Spray the underside every so often to clean the road gunk out.  It keeps it running good by flushing out dirt, rocks, and road salts that eat away at it. Nothing is maintenance free.  You need to eat, empty your "trash" and clean your body.  Otherwise it deteriorates and breaks down.