What would you say?? (Propane fridges)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD GUMBEE

Reaction score
sitting on a river-bridge playing the banjo...
When bumping into others like me, I can be a real pain the ass.

Like the lady who works for an insurance company and needed help with an IT issue.
Before me, on my trusty terminal emulator...I had a threaded server farm with a fancy version of what I would have called "distributed load" 25 years ago. Hit it with a little test and it blew my mind.

So I took a peek. (After asking permission)

Guess what the number one total loss payout from this outfit is?
FIRE
Guess what the number one cause for total loss payout fires is?
LP Fridge going bad or failing in some way.

This is one outfit, not like they hold 22% of all RV's on the road or anything...but there were a LOT of older Class C's in there.

What would your guess be about the most common reason for totalling an RV?
(I would have thought it would be water damage.)
Anyone looked this up already?

As with anything, maintenance plays a part in the fires I am sure. An older rig with no one checking for loose fittings from vibration, rotten hoses or a burner that burned through from rust and age. As they say, "ignorance is bliss".

yes I think I posted that before. the number one reason for fires in a RV is the propane refrigerator. and like Brian said it is probably due to lack of maintenance. highdesertranger

That is why I don’t like to leave the dogs in the travel trailer when I am not there. I worry about fire, not like a panic or anything, I’m just careful. When my propane frig broke I replaced it with an ARB electric freezer. I use almost no propane now. I think it was a good upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the reasons I'm going with electric fridges, plus fact the pilot light could blow out or a line blow out and leak propane into the camper to kill you in your sleep. Not to mention fact you are depending on your fridge enclosure to keep the hot/cold outside elements out cause you have to vent the propane which thus makes it energy inefficient rig.
In redesigning my camper where the fridge "was" limited what I could change the floor plan to due to it had vents there for propane fridge, and unlike most campers you can't just move vents around in fiberglass shell camper. So I'm going to plug them all up and go with electric fridges.

I consider 2-3 way fridges to be antiquated crap that are best removed, sold to fools, and replaced with 12v compressor models. ..Willy.

I love my 3 way fridge and if it gives up the ghost, I will probably replace it with another unless I can find a 12v that has a larger freezer than I have.

My Mother's Day present to me was an EdgeStar 3.1 cu ft fridge freezer. It would be ignorant on my part to say it would never catch fire but I can claim that any fire won't be assisted by an LP fuel source. I'll do the same when I get an RV.