Would you be comfortable overnighting on a road like this?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But even with the most modest (or broken-down) rig, you still have some choices on how you take care of your space and how you treat your neighbors, right?

And even with the greatest respect for one's fellowpersons, it's still true that if you're in a place where "drama" (especially the drug- or alcohol-fuelled kind) has gotten hold, it can be awfully hard or maybe impossible not to get sucked in. Drama wants everybody to feel included.

Just playing devil's advocate. RonDean makes good points.

There are alternatives for some such as seasonal work with housing or volunteer positions. If you look hard enough, many times nomadic life and seasonal work can be found to be better than many peoples current situation.

Like everyone else says, if you have any other choice at all, avoid places like that.

That said, I'm torn on making blanket judgments about the people living there. As I recall, Bob originally started living in his van because of a traumatic (divorce) situation. In his travels, he (and many of us) discovered this new lifestyle could actually be a good choice. Never forgetting, that for many, it's more a necessity than a choice. It's why (I think) he originally started CHEAPrvliving.

Loathe as I am to admit it, I feel more in common with those living in broken-down RV/Camper/tents/and tarps than with many others in the RV community. Like the folks with high-end RVs that have never been turned away from an RV park because of the looks or age of their rig. Just like many urban S&B areas, the RV lifestyle is also open to "gentrification." As are some RV forums.
You nailed it; I couldn't have said it better. I'm an old fart, retired, on a fixed budget, and when I find myself in an area with a lot of 'high-end" RVers, I know it is way too expensive for me; I move on. I try and find an older maw and pop place if I stay at an RV park. If boondocking, I don't do it in a city. I get all the supplies I need and find a place out of town somewhere, and I often ask property owners if I can stay in a spot I've seen, give them my DL number, phone, etc., and 9 out of 10 times, I get lucky. Some small businesses will let you stay on their lot at night because someone being there will deter criminals from breaking in at night. These are just some tips that have worked for me.

Also, judging individuals is different from assessing the safety of a group setting.

I found this street near my work and was hoping to overnight on it a few evenings a week.
Problem is, there's more than just big-rigs parked on it.
There's also a fairly large number of beat up, run down RV's, vans and converted bread trucks and U-Haul's.
The street also parallels RR tracks that I'm not sure are in use, but probably are.

Every once in a while, one of the abandoned RV's will mysteriously burn to the ground in the middle of the night (I've seen it happen twice).
Some of the trucks have graffiti on their sides, though I don't know for certain that they got "tagged" at this location.

Recently I noticed a port-potty and hand washing station between a couple of the RV's. Whether this was intended for the truck drivers or RV'er's I can't be certain.
There are several shipping docks and trucking companies across the street, so who knows.
I also saw the city cleaning up the excess trash a time or two, so it looks like they make an effort to keep it clean.

My guess would be that the area was originally set up for the truck drivers, but the RV crowd quickly took advantage of it.

My Spidey Sense tells me to find another spot.
I worked in three penitentiaries.
I tend to occupy turf, I tend to elicit automatic respect.
Fact is, my resting 'neutral' face is often mistook for a battle-face...
...as though I plan a late lunch and you look delicious.
People tend to leave me alone.
Maybe that has something to do with their 'Spidey Sense'.
You want to camp near your work; I understand the desire for a short commute.
If you can tolerate excess trash and hand-worshing stations a few evenings a week, go for it.
And yet, if I was you, I would keep my mobile options open.
Also, if I was you, I would give my neighbors some face-time, exchange contact information, let them know they are not invisible, not out-casts.
Let them know I am not a judgemental snoot simply because I have a nearby job.
I help them realize they can be part of my community... but this comes at a cost -- no drama, no stupidity.
No setting rigs on fire.
I tend to recruit people into my circle, let them know they are safe with me.
As their 'Spidey Sense' fades, I 'see' some of the most amazing individuals...
...just trying to get along.
But, if I was me, I would prefer up some rough logger track to a remote mountain lake.
Cities tend to have hand-worshing stations and crews cleaning excess trash [shudders in revulsion].

Where (generally) is that place?
Fremont, Calif.

There's a Walmart right around the corner that usually has big-rigs in the lot, but I don't know (yet) if that means they allow overnight parking.

I'm not sure I'd want to park there, even if they allowed it.
About a month ago, some idiots set a fire in the sporting goods department to cover up their shoplifting.
The store was closed for weeks.

My guess would be that the area was originally set up for the truck drivers, but the RV crowd quickly took advantage of it.

Use your Spidey Sense. It is working well for you. I would not park there.

I can't argue with anyone's comments. It's all true, both good and bad. Poverty is a poor excuse for trashing where you live. But, I'll bet that if these folks set out trash can like in better-kept areas, said trash can would never be picked up. Someone else would eventually knock it over and someone or something else would scatter it.

I would not choose to live or even park overnight there. But, however low my means might be, I can still afford to move on. Can they? I don't know. We (society) are quick to tell them to "move on" or "clean up." But, somewhat slower providing alternatives everyone can afford. Cities will periodically send in the troops to roust people out and clean up the place. Maybe an alternate parking place, a dumpster, and even a portable toilet would have been both cheaper and more humane.

Talking about society and politics will get us nowhere, so I'll pass on all that. I'm also passing on my personal sense of "right and wrong." I am just trying to suggest a bit of rational economics and humanity might go farther than whatever we are now doing.

I can't argue with anyone's comments. It's all true, both good and bad. Poverty is a poor excuse for trashing where you live.
I doubt this is an issue of just poverty. More likely drug addiction and mental illness.
The area around these rigs is no better than most homeless encampments you see along freeways and under bridges.
Turns out there's a side street off this one, with 10X as many rundown RV's on it. The place is a mess.

Big T, Good point. I am sure you are right that drug addiction and mental illness are part of the problem. However, I've known my share of wealthy and mid-income addicts and mentally ill folks and their homes do not look like the mess we see on some of our streets. They somehow manage to use the proper bathroom, take most of their trash out to be picked up, and so forth. So, that forces me to ask what is most different.

I think it's not as simple as we would like it to be. And if some of these folks got a little more or a different kind of help there would be less (not none) of a problem. I'd suggest we follow the money and see who benefits from the current situation, but then I would sound like a conspiracy nut. :)

A few more from the aforementioned side street.

Yeah, these people have been here a while, and I will definitely not be joining them.

Attachments

• tempImageyz69aC.png
    tempImageyz69aC.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 14
  • tempImageIxxgtt.png
    tempImageIxxgtt.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
  • tempImageVc0oll.png
    tempImageVc0oll.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • tempImageZb7bnc.png
    tempImageZb7bnc.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
Big T, Good point. I am sure you are right that drug addiction and mental illness are part of the problem. However, I've known my share of wealthy and mid-income addicts and mentally ill folks and their homes do not look like the mess we see on some of our streets. They somehow manage to use the proper bathroom, take most of their trash out to be picked up, and so forth. So, that forces me to ask what is most different.

I think it's not as simple as we would like it to be. And if some of these folks got a little more or a different kind of help there would be less (not none) of a problem. I'd suggest we follow the money and see who benefits from the current situation, but then I would sound like a conspiracy nut. :)
Just pointing out that most homeless encampments don't HAVE garbage service. Nor RV dumping stations. And it's hard to get to the dump yourself if your vehicle doesn't work.

That said, I'd avoid that particular spot. And thank my lucky stars I have other options.

Jacq,

Exactly the point I made earlier in the thread. I wish we would START with trash pickup (at least a dumpster that the ones that care could use), a portable toilet or 2, and maybe a street sweeper to get some of the needles off the street. I'll bet a fair percentage of the folks there would appreciate it. Even if you really don't care about other people (and I hope you do), I think it also makes economic and health sense.

This reminds me of when my friends and I rode Harleys around the US. Even iF we were ok, we were judged by those other bikers. More than once we were asked to move on just because of that. In this case, don't you think those of us driving just a little bit beat up or older rigs aren't judged by these hobo jungles?

I think your “spidey sense” is right.

I found this street near my work and was hoping to overnight on it a few evenings a week.
Problem is, there's more than just big-rigs parked on it.
There's also a fairly large number of beat up, run down RV's, vans and converted bread trucks and U-Haul's.
The street also parallels RR tracks that I'm not sure are in use, but probably are.

Every once in a while, one of the abandoned RV's will mysteriously burn to the ground in the middle of the night (I've seen it happen twice).
Some of the trucks have graffiti on their sides, though I don't know for certain that they got "tagged" at this location.

Recently I noticed a port-potty and hand washing station between a couple of the RV's. Whether this was intended for the truck drivers or RV'er's I can't be certain.
There are several shipping docks and trucking companies across the street, so who knows.
I also saw the city cleaning up the excess trash a time or two, so it looks like they make an effort to keep it clean.

I wouldn't overnight on a street like that, just as I wouldn't live in a house in a neighborhood where nearly every home has metal security fencing and metal security doors and the statistics reveal it's the neighborhood in the city with the biggest illegal dumping problem, or blighted property problem, and/or the highest number of shootings, assaults and/or carjackings.