What would you pay for a dozen eggs?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope you passed that info onto the police! I love my game camera. My unattended house kept getting broken into in Maine and the cop suggested I put one up. Nothing in the house at the time to steal, but I was sick of replacing the door frame or cleaning up their trash they left behind. Even posted a sign "Game Camera In Use" Little shits went in anyways and it picked one of them up. Showed it to the cop that told me to get one and sure enough it was one of the town delinquents well known to all the police. No problems since.

I usually buy what are called 'farm fresh ungraded' eggs, in the local grocers that are locally produced if I can't get to a farm gate vendor. Canada does not mandate egg washing & while many commercial producers do a variant my eggs are unwashed, I don't fridge them always if space is an issue. They come a bit cheaper, between $2 - $2.50 a dozen. From a farm gate they would be $3 - $4. As you can see, these vary greatly in size & colour. They all taste like chicken eggs to me...I grew up on duck eggs.

Attachments

• IMG_20160816_091439.jpg
    IMG_20160816_091439.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 4
gojo said:
Wife and I were shopping, when we got home, I seen car tracks in my yard. I was mad and pissed off! My wife said something might be on the wildlife camera, Hah, forgot about the camera. Yes it was on the camera and guess what. Few of my chickens were on the road, these kids were trying to hit them with there car.
I cropped the photo because of my mailbox address.

I would also encourage you to turn the video over to Police.

I live in an very expensive area currently. I buy eggs from pasture raised chickens at the local farmer's market. Last year they were usually $5/dozen. Ungraded but usually mostly extra large. Seasonally Jumbo size. This year they're $6 or $6.50 Ouch. Still worth the difference in price from CAFO eggs. Eggs are remarkably nutritious and very filling.

If I'm out on country roads in the western part of the county there are often signs for eggs at $3/dozen pasture raised. Time to stock up.

How long can one keep fresh eggs?  Refrigerated and not refrigerated.

-- Spiff

I don't know exactly but I have gone 3 weeks unrefrigerated with store bought eggs. highdesertranger

All you need to do is fill a bowl with cool  water and place the egg inside. If it sinks to the bottom, it's good. If it sinks and stands on its point, it's good but it won't be good for much longer and should be used soon. If it floats, toss it away.

DannyB1954 said:
I would also encourage you to turn the video over to Police.

I kind of took the law in my own hands. If you look at it closely, it has paper plates and has a dent on the vehicle. I seen it one night at the grocery store, I parked there and waited for them to come out. There was an older man driving it, so I followed him to his residence. Got his address and license plate numbers to his other two cars. I felt like stopping and talk to him, but then I decided not to.
Deputies in my county won't come out only if it's something major. About a year ago there was a drunk driving over road signs and hitting fence post in my area. I seen him throw a whiskey bottle out the window, than he pull over. I called the county sheriffs department. Was told by the dispatcher, they'll send somebody soon as one is available.  About an hour later, got a phone call and asked where I was located. I told him forget it, he's gone. Same stories been told by others in my county. They're too busy drinking coffee and eating donuts, LOL.

"How long can one keep fresh eggs? Refrigerated and not refrigerated."

In the US 3-5 weeks refrigerated. https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/eggstorage.html US eggs probably shouldn't be left unrefrigerated for long at all, particularly supermarket eggs.

In most other countries where washing eggs before sale is not required (or even banned) by law, up to a year in cold storage and weeks at room temperature. Washing eggs removes the natural protective cuticle that protects the inner part of the egg from bacterial infection.

If you're in the US and get your eggs direct from a farm take a look at the egg shells. If they're kind of dirty, the cuticle is intact. You can store them at room temp or longer refrigerated. Then wash them right before you use them.

For more on this read http://www.forbes.com/sites/nadiaar...tish-supermarket-and-vice-versa/#7307e369a53e The info on the cuticle starts on page 2.

gojo good point I should have included that. after 2 weeks I give them the water test. highdesertranger

gcal said:
 I am no vegetarian. Can't see the point. We evolved as meat-eaters, and nature is what it is. Even if you don't eat meat, thousands of lives are still lost to keep you alive. I prefer it when the animals I eat are not mistreated or abused, tho. They are part of the same life cycle that I am.

Obviously you haven't had the pleasure of visiting an abattoir, If you can't see the point you haven't looked, you are a reader, you should pick up the book " How not to Die" or at the very least log onto his videos, he makes a lot of very good points on plant based diets, and backs it all up with science, if he doesn't convince you read a bit of  John Robins,  also I don't get the thousands of lives lost bit to keep vegetarians or vegans alive I don't follow that. 
I love eggs and have a couple of chickens but I am not so sure about how good they are for me, I read a lot on both sides of the fence I am still unsure or maybe in denial about the goodness of eggs maybe I don't want to hear it, It is easy to justify  things you love even harder to let them go..

flying kurbmaster said:
 Obviously you haven't had the pleasure of visiting an abattoir, If you can't see the point you haven't looked, you are a reader, you should pick up the book " How not to Die" or at the very least log onto his videos, he makes a lot of very good points on plant based diets, and backs it all up with science, if he doesn't convince you read a bit of  John Robins,  also I don't get the thousands of lives lost bit to keep vegetarians or vegans alive I don't follow that. 
I love eggs and have a couple of chickens but I am not so sure about how good they are for me, I read a lot on both sides of the fence I am still unsure or maybe in denial about the goodness of eggs maybe I don't want to hear it, It is easy to justify  things you love even harder to let them go..

Abattoir. I come from farm people, hunters and fishermen. I have seen animals killed and butchered, and done it a time or two, myself. I would never condone unnecessary abuse to an animal which is to become my food. I am a lot nicer than Mother Nature in that way. We evolved to be who and what we are when our ancestors started eating the meat that would support our big brain. You can argue with evolutionary biologists about that, but you will lose. Children have trouble with proper development and adults are often malnourished without adequate animal products in their diets. My grandparents died in their middle 90's. They did hard physical labor and lived on eggs fried in lard, over cooked vegetables, and pork chops smothered in bacon. 

As for the thousands that die, organic poisons are still poisons. They kill. They land used to grow your food means that other creatures are deprived of their food and nest sites and territories. The water you use is unavailable to other creatures.The power you use affects other creatures thru the coal and oil it uses. The lithium on your phone and computer brings miners otherwise untouched areas. There is no way you can remain alive without being the cause the death of thousands of other creatures.

I to have been to abattoirs both in the United States and in third world countries. I have also butchered chickens and have witnessed the butchering of pigs. I do not see the point of being a vegetarian. Much of the land vegetarians say should be planted in crops to support human consumption is simply not suited for it. Much of it is strictly grazing land.

Also we must kill to eat. Whether it be a carrot or a bull. Vegetarians see life in a hierarchical fashion. I don't. Life is life whether it is plant or animal (including humans). Some of the most important lives on the planet are insects. Pollinators come to mind. We are all enmeshed in a web of life. While my life is much more important to me than a bee I am not certain it is to the universe. I am certain that my life is less important than the ultimate survival of bees.

I am an unapologetic carnivore.

My understanding is the word vegetarian comes from a Native American word that means lousy hunter.
OK maybe not. If God didn't want us to eat meat, why did he/she make it taste good?

I once seen a bumper sticker that said I am a vegetarian not because I love animals. I hate plants.

What a fantastic topic-thread, so many great thoughtful contributions from the posters. I've been consuming "Raw dairy" small farms only for decades. Raw eggs both chicken & duck, raw milk from cow, goat and sheep. And make my own raw cheeses from all three of those milk animals and of course make raw cultured butter as well. I have never been ill from any of these foods, and never have known anyone else to be either. I would never suggest or encourage anyone to do this without "full understanding" of what and how these animals are feed and treated-cared for, and how each of these foods are processed-handled. A small farm doing things right is very easy for a trained eye to detect, and so many are very proud of their bacteria counts as well. Many will have them posted where their customers can view and reassure themselves with.

Modern society has it wrong, small farms doing it "Right" are some of the  true rock-stars in our communities. If you never have I encourage you to go and visit one, and see how much incredible hard work it really is to maintain one correctly. Also I have over the years volunteered to help on them, either just with very needed labor or with something in a more skilled area.

And to the actual folks here that are small farming and creating food for themselves and their communities, I want to to thank you so much for the wonderful gift your sharing with others. 

“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.”

Hippocrates.

gcal I love your post #53, I could not have said it better myself. highdesertranger

I just bought a dozen free range eggs. To be honest I don't see any difference in taste. The yokes do seem a bit more orange. I don't know what really causes the color difference.

gcal said:
Abattoir. I come from farm people, hunters and fishermen. I have seen animals killed and butchered, and done it a time or two, myself. I would never condone unnecessary abuse to an animal which is to become my food. I am a lot nicer than Mother Nature in that way. We evolved to be who and what we are when our ancestors started eating the meat that would support our big brain. You can argue with evolutionary biologists about that, but you will lose. Children have trouble with proper development and adults are often malnourished without adequate animal products in their diets. My grandparents died in their middle 90's. They did hard physical labor and lived on eggs fried in lard, over cooked vegetables, and pork chops smothered in bacon. 

As for the thousands that die, organic poisons are still poisons. They kill. They land used to grow your food means that other creatures are deprived of their food and nest sites and territories. The water you use is unavailable to other creatures.The power you use affects other creatures thru the coal and oil it uses. The lithium on your phone and computer brings miners otherwise untouched areas. There is no way you can remain alive without being the cause the death of thousands of other creatures.

the reasons to become a vegetarian is not about killing or not killing, and yes there are people that smoke all their lives and live to 100, not many but some do. Think how long they would have lived if they hadn't smoked or even better imagine how long your grandparents would have lived if they would have adopted a plant based diet, instead of clogging their arteries, if they managed to live to 90 with a bad diet, they would have surely made 110 with a good diet and likely would have felt better in the morning and not taken as many pills. I am not here to convince you or anyone else to stop eating meat, but my point was to counter the fact that you said there was no point to becoming a vegetarian or at least that you could not see a point, there are many very good reasons, stopping the raising and slaughter of animals is only one more importantly it is by far healthier, for you and your familly, you will live longer, reduce your risk of cancers, coronary diseases, and all other diseases including simple things like the common cold, not to forget the benefits for the planet, the information is out there if you want to wade through the propaganda that those with something to loose have flooded the waves with, heck some people still feed their children milk and are convinced that it is good for their bones, go figure.

DannyB1954 said:
I just bought a dozen free range eggs. To be honest I don't see any difference in taste. The yokes do seem a bit more orange. I don't know what really causes the color difference.

the color changes with what they eat if they are eating grass and foraging for insects they will have darker yokes, I read once you could make your chickens lay green yokes by feeding them something I can't remember what it was but I am sure you could  find out by googling it.

flying kurbmaster said:
the color changes with what they eat if they are eating grass and foraging for insects they will have darker yokes, I read once you could make your chickens lay green yokes by feeding them something I can't remember what it was but I am sure you could  find out by googling it.

Sounds like a hoot for St Patrick's Day.

Latest posts