What would you pay for a dozen eggs?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagoneer

Reaction score
$1.95? what if you knew the farmer met the hens a buck each? We are so conditioned to the BOTTOM LINE. No wonder we suffer from malnutrition. Most of us follow the BOTTOM LINE. WHEN LUCKY i get these fresh eggs and at 5 bucks a dozen just wanna give her a big tip. When you realize the work involved in raising and caring for chickens 5 bucks a dozen is a bargain.

Eggs that actually taste like something would probably be worth $5 a dozen. Store bought eggs are not, (in my opinion). I don't know what they feed commercial chickens besides hormones and antibiotics.

I have a few chickens. They eat organic feed, lots of leftovers and all the bugs and worms the can find. Store bought eggs just dont do it for me anymore. I think anyone with a yard should have a few and a small garden.

It's just that bottom line thinking that destroyed farmers, and what really matters is what are we putting inside our bodies. I support farmers whenever I can just consume less then most. With no reefer coat your fresh eggs in eadable mineral oil and it will keep them good for weeks.

I usually spend about $3.75 and only buy eggs from free range hens. Having raised chickens for a few years, I can't bear the thought of them being in little cages their entire lives. And, yes, they taste a lot better, too.

In my previous life before going full time dispersed living, I had a few hens. I miss my hens more than many of the people I left behind. When I have the money, I have no problem paying five bucks a dozen from a small producer. In stores I pay extra for cage free.
I wonder if factory egg farms are subsidized?

I raise chickens for eggs and meat. During the winter months you can't beat chicken noodle soup.  Homemade noodles and home grown fryers or pullets. They control a lot insect problems on the property. I had a rooster that swallowed a small mouse, thought he was going to choke but it finally went down.
Also make my own deer sausage, pretty much of my food is natural, no hormones in the food.

I had some hens around for a while man o man those were the best eggs but dang that was expensive to feed and care for them, I could not let them run the garden My young Aussie just wanted to eat the poor things. Now I just go to the Dollar store and get 18 mediums for a buck.

Years back I got fresh eggs from a friends farm in southern Va. Boy they were good. Multi colored as well...blue, green, white, brown shells...it was like Easter year round. The chickens also had feathers down their legs...looked like they were wearing pants. I've forgotten the breed name.

BTW:The hand holding that bird above has quite the bracelet.

We raised chickens when I was growing up. We sold our free range yard eggs to the local corner grocery for a dollar a dozen for years. They agreed to buy all we had. We never got money, but instead traded for groceries, as we always needed more groceries than we had eggs to sell. Back then people were good for their word. When laying mash was high we lost money. When feed prices fell, we made a little. The chickens also ate veggie table scraps too, but would not get the proper nutrition without the feed. But the family always had lots of eggs to eat and it taught us kids responsibility - something much more valuable. Today we have a neighbor who charges us $2/dozen for their excess yard eggs, but they don't have many hens so we supplement with store bought eggs (yuck).

As my screen name implies, I'm a sushi chef. I sometimes pay $3 for a 10 pack of these tiny morsels. Not too good of a bargain, but I've developed an allergy to raw or runny chicken egg yolks. However I can eat raw quail eggs with no allergic reaction, so I occasionally foot the bill so I can indulge. I love ikura uzura no tamago (salmon roe with raw quail eggs served over a seaweed wrapped vinegared rice ball) yum!

Chip

I have been in and out of agriculture for 50+ years. I hope you all realize that government rules, regulations and lawyers have created the huge agribusinesses it's like all industries the rules and regulations force the little guy out, only the huge corporations and their lawyers can survive. these small egg producers are basically breaking the law no USDA inspected packing plants, no egg grading, most do not declare the cash money they make. sooner or later they will feel the squeeze. believe me when I say I don't back the system but we are all responsible for it. the more we demand our government protect us from this and that the more we encourage this. just saying. highdesertranger

would like to give the previous post 1000 likes

about $1-2 for farm fresh all natural eggs

also the shell thickness is greater in free range eggs

just a note of caution. Free Range chickens and eggs can carry tuberculosis.

Bast said:
just a note of caution. Free Range chickens and eggs can carry tuberculosis.

"Oh boy"

I been eating off our farm for over 66 years, guess I should of been dead long time ago.

If you sell poultry in Texas, there is a annual inspection by your county.
One thing I love about Texas, government officials usually stay out of your business as much as possible.
These fear tactics don't work on me.....

Even the septic system laws isn't still 100% effective, only new systems. Has to be built by specs.

I also got some bandam (bandies) chickens. Those little fellows lay eggs all the time. I started with 10 a year and a half ago. Now I have about 40, plus I threw a bunch of um away, ones the hens were sitting on. If anyone comes around, I usually give em away. Their good eating, but you usually got to eat two to one  average size egg. Last week I put 9 bandies in the deep freeze. Got about 12 more to go.......

I only buy the scrambled egg mix you buy from Walmart in a can...Stunningly tasty...(I don't recommend the "whole egg", it tastes like the egg, shell and dirt) Plan to use it, the "Fake Bacon Bits" and have that for breakfast soon as I build the shelves in my van (Which I'll keep longer than planned) and so I can have eggs without the worry about refrigeration....

I remember the powdered eggs I used to get in the Army - yuck! Only marginally better was the SOS (chipped beef on toast). Even worse was the blue powdered milk.

They still give me the heebie-jeebies thinking about it.

Chip

when I am out for extended periods with no resupply close by I use the powder eggs but I don't use them straight. I take real eggs and cut in the powder 50-50. then scramble for breakfast burritos. works for me and I can double the days I can have breakfast burritos. highdesertranger

Yea I've been shown the light.. the difference between commercially prepared eggs and farm grown organic eggs. I use to spend $1 for a dozen eggs, but now I have no issues paying $6 or more, as long as they are organic, unbleached, and farm grown. They are *far* superior eggs both in size and flavor. And even at the high cost, that boils down to 50 cents per egg, which is nothing when you think about it.

Great thing about unbleached and unwashed eggs is that you do not have to refrigerate them. The bacteria only develops on eggs that had all the natural "bloom" cleaned off the eggshell. If you leave bloom, it naturally protects the egg. So, no refrig needed. Bleached eggs is marketing preying on the unknowing. They say it is cleaner, but the reality is completely opposite... unless you are going to lick the unwashed shells.