What would you get for $5000?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in the same boat. My little truck is almost paid off, has low mileage but can only handle a GVWR of 4000 lbs. Would love an egg trailer, I can pull that, but can't handle the price tag. Part of the appeal of nomadic living is to get myself out of debt, I can't see taking on a new loan for this venture, and my next egg is small. It will become larger once I stop paying rent and utilities, of course, but trying to find lightweight and cheap is truly hard to do. Still determined and still looking, though!

GypsySpirit said:
I'm in the same boat.  My little truck is almost paid off, has low mileage but can only handle a GVWR of  4000 lbs.  Would love an egg trailer, I can pull that, but can't handle the price tag.   Part of the appeal of nomadic living is to get myself out of debt, I can't see taking on a new loan for this venture, and my next egg is small.  It will become larger once I stop paying rent and utilities, of course, but trying to find lightweight and cheap is truly hard to do.  Still determined and still looking, though!

You have a good truck, which is my favorite vehicle to start with as they are MUCH easier to do your own maintenance on than a van (the engine). There are truck campers that will work on 1/2 ton trucks, the ones without a bathroom. I had a nice one that someone gave me on my 65 Dodge stepside 1/2 ton and in trade I just had to do some hauling for them. I see those old beater, small truck campers all the time on Craigslist for under $1000.  They usually have an icebox, hand pump water with small sink, and a 2 burner stovetop.

Old class C RVs are a huge money pit, don't do it. You could also make one of those really large truck shells work, might take a while to find one of the taller ones that have a rear entry door.

Just search RV trader truck campers and sort by price, for example this can be carried by your truck and go anywhere:
[img=320x240]https://cdn2.rvtrader.com/v1/media/...27.jpg?width=1024&height=768&quality=70[/img]
Is $3950
Condition: Used

[*]Year: 1999

[*]Make: Palomino
[*]Model: BRONCO 1500
[*]Class: Truck Camper
Gross Vehicle Weight: 1,250
[*]Sleeping Capacity: 3
[*]Awnings: yes
[*]Length: 14
[*]Water Capacity: 16
[*]Leveling Jacks: yes

I hadn't even thought about putting a camper on the back of my truck. Perhaps a trip to the dealer that specializes in the campers should be my next stop. Pick their brains a bit and figure out what to look for. Thanks for the idea.

The trailer manufacturers are starting to make super light mini trailers. Coachman and Winnie come to mind of the top of my head. Save some money with a truck top and go bigger later.

Truck toppers are so easily made, most trucks already have holes or rails to attach them to or on. A search of ttnt trailers shows one foamie held together with PMF (poor man's fiber glass which is glue, cloth and latex paint) that cost very little and was built in a short period of time. There is also a hexayert trailer that would work temporary till you could save or find what you need. The topper had been used fulltime and lasted over a year!

Still looking at all my options. I think it's going to take longer to sell everything off than to find a new home. It will happen!

The truth is, if I came in to an extra $5k, I would probably do something completely irresponsible, and not something I would mention in an open forum!  

In other word's ... I'm still just a big kid and will probably never grow up. 

:D :p  :-/

Pat aka "can't stay on topic to save his life"

The Phoenix area does indeed have great bargains on RV's. I bought my first one, a 23' 1989 Class C (I keep forgetting the year, may have been 86...) and it was only $3500. I did go look at some of the cheaper listings. They were as advertised, but mostly dirty junk. There are good deals to be had in the area, though. If anyone sees something in the Phoenix metro area and wants someone to do an eyes-on for them, pm me. I love to do that kind of stuff.

If I had to start over again, and I had 5G's to invest....

1. I would buy an older, carbureted Ford F250 4x4 with a 300-6cyl and 4 speed manual gear box. (easily found for under 2G's in decent shape)
2. An older, light weight 8 ft Six pack, or Lance cab over without a bathroom. (Easily found for under 2G's in decent shape)

It would allow me maximum flexibility with minimum money spent. I would actually haveto seriously TRY to destroy the engine, and that 4speed is bomb proof. I wouldn't need any special tools. Parts super easy to get, and super cheap. Oh yeah it'll get 14-17mpg if I take it easy. Well I won't have a choice as the truck will be glacially slow...
The six pack, or lance 8 foot would be comfortable, easy to find parts for when things go wonky, and weighs about 1400lbs. Perfect.