Advantages of Large Suv over medium sedan?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Solar panels on SUV roofs are not out of the question in a city. A lot of SUV owners go out camping on weekends. Solar is now way more common on vehicles than just a couple of years ago.But it will be a target for theft as it is on the exterior.

You are absolutely going to have limitations for keeping a fridge running 24/7 in any large metropolitan area in a vehicle that is not as least as tall as a full size van.
Also I forgot to ask the relationship of height in the vehicle to coolness in the suv / van.
It seems like van is better than suv
Maybe slightly less stealth but more room
I’m sorry I’m repetitive , I’m under a great deal of pressure and the mind slips a bit .. thus repeating the same questions.
Thank you

Many of the answers you need can only be obtained through personal experience influenced by your personal opinions of what you can endure or need. I would highly recommend you rent/borrow a van, a SUV and a RV and spend a day and a night. Contact HOWA and see if they can arrange for you to meet up with some of their contacts to take a look at real situations. Do some weekend exploration into making temporary arrangements to see what works for you and what doesn’t.

Stealth in my mind does not exist. You can’t just become invisible to sleep. Having done security work and dealt with out of bounds camping I can tell you the only reason you get away with sleeping in your car somewhere you shouldn’t is because someone that knows what you are doing lets you. Sleeping in a car requires you not breath as condensation, bathroom trips and even an open window will get noticed. A windowless teardrop or less obvious square drop trailer parked somewhere it is legal to park it as in a rented space as in a motel truck parking area, 24 hour storage, truck stop, 24 hour restaurant, fishing ramp/ dock parking, parking across from an emergency care center for 8 hours or less never within 20 miles of each other and never more than once a month is about as stealth as you can get. You will be dragging everything you need to be comfortable concealed instead of in your Camry where it can be seen. Yes totally blacked out windows get noticed too!
Nice. You have experience at security …
Maybe I didn’t say it correctly but I’m leaning towards a large SUV or van not the Camry
Why would a security person look at every car on the street ?
The trailer just seems like a target for theft
Cumbersome to drag around
Or leave it some where
My insecurities lead me towards Van or large SUV
Everything in one place - plus storage
People say I argue. I guess that’s true. To me I’m just asking questions to learn
I appreciate your input

Call it the billboard effect. When you see the same billboard day after day, your brain ignores it and dismisses it. As soon as the billboard changes, you notice it again.

It's the same thing for people in a neighborhood, police that drive the same streets regularly, and business owners that have a tendency to pay attention to things by their locations.

I have been at my apartment for years. With tons of cars parked on the street. When someone parked a work van down the street, I noticed. I notice all of the cars that aren't "regulars". If there was someone sleeping in it, that's ok. But I would notice

Most people don't care if you're sleeping in your car. And if they do, they don't want to be the person making a call to point it out. If you follow some of the best practices that others mention on this forum, you can be left alone wherever you are.

It is called situational awareness. Most law enforcement, security and military personnel are taught it as it is part of their job. I can almost guarantee you whatever you choose to live in it won’t be the only one. People living this lifestyle for long usually have had to change vehicles several times to find one that works well enough for them. Having more room for personal space and stuff makes changing lifestyles easier but is more expensive and usually is more work but if “you” need it then it is worth doing what you have to do to get it. It is a “process” everyone goes through when trying to live cheaply. Most important starting point is having a place that provides you with the ability/comfort to get a good nights sleep.

I'm in a Hyundai Santa Fe SUV. I have the 60% split of the back seats folded down and it's working fine for me (but extra space would be nice). I'm 5'8" and I sleep on a cot in the back.I have a 12 volt 20 liter fridge plugged into my Jackery E1500 and the fridge runs 24-7. I could easily run a 35 liter fridge also. I charge my Jackery with my car when I'm driving and I also have 2 Jackery 100 watt suitcase solar panels that I put on the roof when I'm in one place for a few hours. To make sure the panels don't walk off, I secure them to the Oh Shit handles in the SUV. Since the panels aren't waterproof, I don't recommend them.

For stealth from the average person and heat control, my back windows and sunroof have 5% ceramic tint, I have a black out curtain behind my front seats, and I also have window coverings for every window if I need it. For ventilation, I have rain guards, bug screens for the window, and I pinned no see um screen to the ceiling for the sunroof.

I left the back passenger seat as is so that's where I hang out, dress, bath, cook sometimes, paint, read, etc. I would love a minivan so I could sit up in bed but that's as big as I want to go.

You mentioned that you'll be in the San Diego area once you move. Where are you located currently?

Many of the answers you need can only be obtained through personal experience influenced by your personal opinions of what you can endure or need. I would highly recommend you rent/borrow a van, a SUV and a RV and spend a day and a night. Contact HOWA and see if they can arrange for you to meet up with some of their contacts to take a look at real situations. Do some weekend exploration into making temporary arrangements to see what works for you and what doesn’t.
San Diego County.. North County, La Jolla, La Mesa, Santee, - I drive all over the County.
You mentioned that you'll be in the San Diego area once you move. Where are you located currently?

San Diego County.. North County, La Jolla, La Mesa, Santee, - I drive all over the County.

You're already in your target area. I would take the Camry and drive around in the evening and see where you might park overnight. And maybe try a night here or there.

We can give you our thoughts and experiences. But you can test it out now with the benefit of making changes before you're committed to a choice.

Figure out your bathroom solution. Go to dollar store and buy some black poster board and cut to window size. If you have a small fan maybe bring that. Pack a day or so of clothes, and whatever simple things you think you'll need for a good night's sleep.

This is rehearsal, and training. It's your chance to try it out. And if there a night where something really didn't work for you, you can go home, regroup, and come up with a different setup or idea.

And use that gym membership to shower and whatnot. A couple days spent doing this while you have a place as a base can make this much better long term for you.

In addition, you should consider scouring craigslist and other sources for a driveway space for rent cheap. Even if it's just a spot and no hookups, it might be better then spending time looking for a spot every night if your normal ones are taken.

In this economy, there will be people that are having terribly making their bills, and can use a little extra to supplement. Between a spot to be every night and a storage to hold the things your car can't fit, it's a reasonable setup. If you find you hate it, then spend some of that savings on a different solution.

I am in process of choosing the best compromise for full time in San Diego
I have storage place. I am paying off a low miles Camry.
If I can find a hookup that is not too high, and not too far from my work in San Diego, a small rv
would be ideal. In lieu of this, I am looking in other directions, I have 57 days to find a solution.

I drove an Expedition and I cannot put in words why it attracted me, but it did.
Worse mpg, but more space. What does the increased space of A Suburban or Expedition etc
afford me, over the Camry? I like less noise, and the Expedition seemed quieter than I am accustomed
in cars I've driven. Is it better insulated? What among the almost "necessary" options ( like cooking or freezing food, or room for a bed AND a space to play a keyboard with headphones ) do I gain with the bigger SUV over the Camry?
I say "necessary", because that's a matter of opinion, your circumstance and tolerance.
I assume stealth is about equal to Camry.
Thank you all
The biggest thing you need to worry about, is can you stretch out flat, to sleep. If you don't get decent sleep the rest of your life will suck!
I started out on wheels in my car, very bad for the back. I don't know how tall you are, but a minivan would be a good choice!

The height of the vehicle relative to heat? Air circulation is the most important factor. You have to be able to remove the excessive heat build up inside any vehicle of any size. You need to be stealthy in your situation so the only sensible option is to park in shade. Of course the completion for shady parking spaces means you will have a tough time getting that lucky. Plus if you put solar on the roof then you won't want to be parked in the shade.

Urban living in a vehicle in a large city in California is going to be very tough to do logistically.

Perhaps talk to forum member "Mr Noodly". He lived in San Diego doing boondocking for quite some time and recently did a short stay there with a YouTube video about where he parked during the day and at night. It was frustrating as you do have to move around a lot both in the day and at night due to parking regulations and time limit restrictions.

Assuming that you cannot find a place with hookups, let's work through the most important things first.

I don't know your situation, but to be first on the list is ease of being able to use the toilet. In a Camry that will be doable, but as mentioned before, not the easiest thing to navigate. Advantage SUV

You mentioned fridge and keyboard. Both take room. But playing a keyboard does require some headroom. Not being comfortable doing one of the things you would want to do for recreation while "inside" would really become a bummer. You could always go to the beach or park and play outside. But for the times you just want to relax inside and play, make sure you're setting yourself up for happiness, not frustration. If outside playing is good for you, Camry or SUV works.

I personally would want a 12v fridge. They are quiet and aren't a huge battery draw usually. Depending on your layout, the Camry can have one. The SUV can probably have a bigger one if that matters. Camry or SUV works.

Cooking in the Camry would probably not be advisable, but the are a lot of car campers that make cooking work for them. I don't know enough about the logistics regarding that. The SUV would have more space to prep and cook.

Stealth. An SUV will be much easier to be stealthy in. Most larger SUVs have dark tinted back windows, so nobody would think twice if you put blackout panels in at night. You might even be able to get a flexible solar panel that directly fits on the roof. I mention this because I have seen many hard panel setups that are great. But it's the rare one that would qualify as stealth. A lot of SUVs have side rails on the roof. So a flexible panel is somewhat hidden, as there's nothing on the rails.

Cooling and heating. I think the are solutions for both vehicles. But I do think you have more options with the SUV.

Just a few things that might help your process.

If you can rent a parking space from someone that you can't camp in, you can park the Camry and use it for longer trips and drives. And switch out vehicles when you want to do different things.

Good luck!
I keep responding to old threads yet it's all education for some who read old, similar threads.

I’d agree on the older full sized suv for some of the reasons listed above, and add that in parking lots today (2023), minivans are getting fewer and fewer. So if you want to blend in more, the suv may be a good way to go.

Issues I have with a mid or full sized suv is twofold, gas mileage is often lower than a minivan and the difficulty in going up from the back of the vehicle to the front, in order to get out of a sketchy area or situation quickly. My CUV requires acrobatic skills I no longer have in order to wiggle up front without exiting the rear doors.

There’s also the “folding over the seats” issue, those seats take up a lot of room and the overhead sleeping space is already limited.

Just things to consider with any suv.

The height of the vehicle relative to heat? Air circulation is the most important factor. You have to be able to remove the excessive heat build up inside any vehicle of any size. You need to be stealthy in your situation so the only sensible option is to park in shade. Of course the completion for shady parking spaces means you will have a tough time getting that lucky. Plus if you put solar on the roof then you won't want to be parked in the shade.

Urban living in a vehicle in a large city in California is going to be very tough to do logistically.

Perhaps talk to forum member "Mr Noodly". He lived in San Diego doing boondocking for quite some time and recently did a short stay there with a YouTube video about where he parked during the day and at night. It was frustrating as you do have to move around a lot both in the day and at night due to parking regulations and time limit restrictions.
Excellent reasons in your reply. Thanks for giving the OP and other interested readers a good source of “been there done that” information.

I am in process of choosing the best compromise for full time in San Diego
I have storage place. I am paying off a low miles Camry.
If I can find a hookup that is not too high, and not too far from my work in San Diego, a small rv
would be ideal. In lieu of this, I am looking in other directions, I have 57 days to find a solution.

I drove an Expedition and I cannot put in words why it attracted me, but it did.
Worse mpg, but more space. What does the increased space of A Suburban or Expedition etc
afford me, over the Camry? I like less noise, and the Expedition seemed quieter than I am accustomed
in cars I've driven. Is it better insulated? What among the almost "necessary" options ( like cooking or freezing food, or room for a bed AND a space to play a keyboard with headphones ) do I gain with the bigger SUV over the Camry?
I say "necessary", because that's a matter of opinion, your circumstance and tolerance.
I assume stealth is about equal to Camry.
Thank you all

I am with you on the SUV option. I had an Expedition for regular use and recently purchased a 4Runner for that Toyota reliability and interior room for my off road adventures. A Van or RV may be better to live out of but I really enjoy the limitless possibility's and off road capabilities I can use with the 4Runner. Couldn't imagine doing it out of a Camry, I need the space and head room because I am not small and hanging out in the rain in a car sucks.

As far as stealth, an off road vehicle can go where no-one else can. No better stealth than not being seen by anyone but mother nature.