Advantages of Large Suv over medium sedan?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanvanvanvan123

Reaction score
I am in process of choosing the best compromise for full time in San Diego
I have storage place. I am paying off a low miles Camry.
If I can find a hookup that is not too high, and not too far from my work in San Diego, a small rv
would be ideal. In lieu of this, I am looking in other directions, I have 57 days to find a solution.

I drove an Expedition and I cannot put in words why it attracted me, but it did.
Worse mpg, but more space. What does the increased space of A Suburban or Expedition etc
afford me, over the Camry? I like less noise, and the Expedition seemed quieter than I am accustomed
in cars I've driven. Is it better insulated? What among the almost "necessary" options ( like cooking or freezing food, or room for a bed AND a space to play a keyboard with headphones ) do I gain with the bigger SUV over the Camry?
I say "necessary", because that's a matter of opinion, your circumstance and tolerance.
I assume stealth is about equal to Camry.
Thank you all

I really like the Toyota Camry for it’s reliably and fuel mileage but it would be difficult to sleep in unless you are small in size. The back seat folds in most to access the trunk but for someone my size I would have to do several mods. I also like the Suburban for their living space and ease of repairs but on an old one you will need to do repairs and fuel mileage is about 1/3 of the Camry so not a daily driver kind of vehicle. I would keep the Camry and build a small light weight foamie tear drop style trailer for less than a thousand dollars (tnttt.com)and use it for sleeping and cooking. A gym membership takes care of showers. You will have about the same space as the Suburban in the teardrop and if it turns out you want a SUV then you can sell the trailer or keep it for extra space.

I drove an Expedition and I cannot put in words why it attracted me, but it did.
Worse mpg, but more space. What does the increased space of A Suburban or Expedition etc
afford me, over the Camry? I like less noise, and the Expedition seemed quieter than I am accustomed
in cars I've driven. Is it better insulated? What among the almost "necessary" options ( like cooking or freezing food, or room for a bed AND a space to play a keyboard with headphones ) do I gain with the bigger SUV over the Camry?
Unless there are other compelling reasons for getting an SUV, it's not the best choice for conversion. Given their size, the space is not efficient for living out of compared to minivans. Though the Promaster City, Transit Connect, Pacifica, Sienna, Odyssey, et al. are smaller than large SUVs, they have better utilization of space. There are a plethora of YouTube minivan builds with all the amenities of an RV. I haven't seen any videos of SUV builds that didn't require a high degree of compromise. Minivans are cheaper to buy, insure, repair, and operate than large SUVs.

Personally, my self image is incompatible with owning a minivan. But there's no denying their practically. I've never owned a car. The four vehicles I've owned over the past 20 years have all been midsize or large SUVs. Last year I bought a full size van. It is much better at transporting people and carrying stuff than an SUV. And surprisingly, despite it's size, gets better gas mileage than any of my previous SUVs. If you are sensitive to gas prices, owning a large SUV will be annoying.

Lastly, consider off road capability if desired, and drivability. Vehicle height and wheelbase may be factors. Minivans are the easiest to drive and can go almost anywhere. A large SUV is similar to driving a full size van (with the exception of the 170" WB Sprinter). There is a learning curve associated with maneuvering large vehicles around town.

I met someone who told me you remove the passenger seat and he builds a bed in the space created by passenger seat and rear seat
I slept out of a Subaru Forester for three years by doing that. You can make a very comfortable bed.
But:
- Everyone walking by can see that you are camping in your car either because they can see you and all your stuff or because the windows are all blocked.
- I could not sit up straight on my bed. The drivers seat was the only comfortable place to sit; laptop was ok, keyboard?
- I was constantly moving things around to do anything inside, gets tiring after a couple of days of bad weather.
- Heating and/or cooling is difficult without shore power. Condensation in cool weather or high humidity will be problematic, everything will feel damp.
- Boiling water can be done inside (very carefully) but any other cooking should be done outside.

It all comes down to how small a box you are tolerant and comfortable living out of. The deal breaker for me was getting up at night to pee; couldn't empty my bladder crouched over.
YMMV

I met someone who told me you remove the passenger seat and he builds a bed in the space created by passenger seat and rear seat
Then one consideration might be: how much permanent alteration do you want to make to the vehicle? (The answer might be proportional to "how sure are you this will work?" and "how long do you want to do this for?")

Lots of tradeoffs to consider and no easy answers.

Sometime in the mid-2010s, IIRC from my shopping days, some SUVs began having back seats that fold completely flat. Finding one of those at an affordable price would be a real plum, IMO, and let you have your cake and eat it too. Failing that, SUVs do seem to have more ease and flexibility of adaptation than sedans (or at least more owners making YouTube videos about it ;)

If you have any budget limits, and have a deadline for dealing with this, then maybe it's better /not/ to get too specific right now about type of vehicle? Maybe focus first on making a list of your must-have's and then explore various options for meeting them? This could include a backup plan for living in the Camry short term while continuing to shop around. That could take some of the pressure off. Given the vagaries of the market, it's probably best not to get too attached to any one solution. I ate my heart out consecutively over a Toyota Sienna, Honda Element, and Kia Soul, and ended up with a Honda CRV that I'm very happy with.

Good luck!

I am in process of choosing the best compromise for full time in San Diego
I have storage place. I am paying off a low miles Camry.
If I can find a hookup that is not too high, and not too far from my work in San Diego, a small rv
would be ideal. In lieu of this, I am looking in other directions, I have 57 days to find a solution.

Have you considered a small camper that the Camry can pull very easily?

Motorcycle tent camper trailers can be pulled easily with almost any small car.

A good one will cost several thousand dollars new, but it will hold most of it's value if you take care of it and need to resell it later on.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=motorcycle+tent+camper&atb=v324-1&iax=images&ia=images

Last edited:
Then one consideration might be: how much permanent alteration do you want to make to the vehicle? (The answer might be proportional to "how sure are you this will work?" and "how long do you want to do this for?")

Lots of tradeoffs to consider and no easy answers.

Sometime in the mid-2010s, IIRC from my shopping days, some SUVs began having back seats that fold completely flat. Finding one of those at an affordable price would be a real plum, IMO, and let you have your cake and eat it too. Failing that, SUVs do seem to have more ease and flexibility of adaptation than sedans (or at least more owners making YouTube videos about it ;)

If you have any budget limits, and have a deadline for dealing with this, then maybe it's better /not/ to get too specific right now about type of vehicle? Maybe focus first on making a list of your must-have's and then explore various options for meeting them? This could include a backup plan for living in the Camry short term while continuing to shop around. That could take some of the pressure off. Given the vagaries of the market, it's probably best not to get too attached to any one solution. I ate my heart out consecutively over a Toyota Sienna, Honda Element, and Kia Soul, and ended up with a Honda CRV that I'm very happy with.

Good luck!
Very happy for you and the Honda. Which is more or less an SUV!?

re -- Ford ExpeditionVehicle
While I can understand sticking with the familiar -- a sedan or station-wagon -- I wonder if a different vehicle might be in your future.
As I caution on this forum:
* avoid believing 'this rig is my forever rig'.
As you grow and evolve, your homing needs change, too.
You can start with the station-wagon, then a few months experimentation might lead you to the sedan... or a delivery-van!
And as you 'move in the circles' of other mobile-dwellers, you will be exposed to their reasons for their decisions.
One example is our rig, a 1996 Ford CF8000 commercial truck we converted to our concept of an ExpeditionVehicle.
2003, after about a half-century of camping and travel in a vast variety of factory and home-built rigs, we refined the essence of our needs...
... and realized we need very little.
Primary on our list -- reliable and durable:
* we need our rig to always start and always stop
* we need our rig to be rain-tight and secure.
A side benefit of tootling America's scenic by-ways in a heavy truck:
* we have lots of authority going down the road... and our air-horns add an impressive giddy-up to sluggish pedestrians.
Not that we would ever...

It is an easy decision...go for the most headroom you can afford. When I was car shopping I got a Honda Element. Best headroom in a 4 cylinder car. There are people who live in them full time. Lots of YouTube videos showing them converted into camping cars and some companies even sell beds, cabinets etc pre made for them. One company sells a swivel seat kit for the 2 front seats. It is an excellent one to add to your shopping list of considerations. My 6'4 son has plenty of headroom in the front seats. It has a rear 12v socket. However it has comes with smaller sized alternator and battery so unless you up size those items you would want a roof rack with solar and a house battery charged off it. OK truthfully you would want that anyway for the convenience of having entertainment and running a small 12v fridge freezer as well as a USB fan and lights. There are people selling ready made blackout window coverings for the Element.

Yes you can have it all and be stealth in a Honda Element. It is an SUV and there are even lift kits people put on it for a bit of offroading. Never going to be a real rock crawler but suitable for some moderate types of adventure camping excursions. You would want the standard transmission AWD version for that use.

Last edited:
I use a 2006 Jeep GC to camp in, its got plenty of space for the dog and I - especially with the RV tent connected. Goes almost anywhere, gets almost 20 MPG on the highway too - not bad for a 4.7 V8. I'm planning on getting a teardrop camper when prices go down so I can spend more time in areas that aren't real suited for tents (especially windwise)... Best of all, parts are cheap - especially at Rock Auto. They made millions of these so it's easy to find them in junkyards as well. I picked this one up for $5900 a few years ago... One owner.

Cheers!

KIMG0668.JPG

Assuming that you cannot find a place with hookups, let's work through the most important things first.

I don't know your situation, but to be first on the list is ease of being able to use the toilet. In a Camry that will be doable, but as mentioned before, not the easiest thing to navigate. Advantage SUV

You mentioned fridge and keyboard. Both take room. But playing a keyboard does require some headroom. Not being comfortable doing one of the things you would want to do for recreation while "inside" would really become a bummer. You could always go to the beach or park and play outside. But for the times you just want to relax inside and play, make sure you're setting yourself up for happiness, not frustration. If outside playing is good for you, Camry or SUV works.

I personally would want a 12v fridge. They are quiet and aren't a huge battery draw usually. Depending on your layout, the Camry can have one. The SUV can probably have a bigger one if that matters. Camry or SUV works.

Cooking in the Camry would probably not be advisable, but the are a lot of car campers that make cooking work for them. I don't know enough about the logistics regarding that. The SUV would have more space to prep and cook.

Stealth. An SUV will be much easier to be stealthy in. Most larger SUVs have dark tinted back windows, so nobody would think twice if you put blackout panels in at night. You might even be able to get a flexible solar panel that directly fits on the roof. I mention this because I have seen many hard panel setups that are great. But it's the rare one that would qualify as stealth. A lot of SUVs have side rails on the roof. So a flexible panel is somewhat hidden, as there's nothing on the rails.

Cooling and heating. I think the are solutions for both vehicles. But I do think you have more options with the SUV.

Just a few things that might help your process.

If you can rent a parking space from someone that you can't camp in, you can park the Camry and use it for longer trips and drives. And switch out vehicles when you want to do different things.

Good luck!

San Diego has great public transit. There are a lot of rental scooters you can use as well as electric bikes. The bus, trolley, and I forget the other can all be used with one monthly pass.

My daughter has lived in San Diego for the last 5 years. Two finishing up college, and the last three working. She doesn't have a car and gets around very well. If you can find a low cost space for a base, you can maximize things however you need.

San Diego has great public transit. There are a lot of rental scooters you can use as well as electric bikes. The bus, trolley, and I forget the other can all be used with one monthly pass.

My daughter has lived in San Diego for the last 5 years. Two finishing up college, and the last three working. She doesn't have a car and gets around very well. If you can find a low cost space for a base, you can maximize things however you need.
I’m too old for scooter!
“A low cost space for a base”
What is that?
I Didn’t mention this but a juicer for vegetables would be great flr
Health
I’m on a diet and am doing well with it
Liquifying vegetable and fruit is maybe not perfect but is a big step up towards health
That means the machine ( an Omega ) and a fridge.
What is your opinion on the gas hog Sequoia ? An older ( 2013-15 ) Econoline or sienna better ?

Thank you all for the experience based advice

What I did was take a job as a school bus driver then live in my rv in the employee parking providing night security monitoring for drivers returning after dark. I had the keys to the break room which had a microwave, frig, sink, tv, internet and bathroom, which I seldom used as drivers got a reduced membership to the YMCA just down the street. Urban places have lots of opportunities you just have to find them and make them work for you or move on, after all you are a nomad! Lol!!! Too old for a scooter then start walking or get a mobility device! My wife refuses to get one but I think I’ve talked her into a UTV as in Arizona/Utah you can drive them most places.

Last edited:
Solar panels on SUV roofs are not out of the question in a city. A lot of SUV owners go out camping on weekends. Solar is now way more common on vehicles than just a couple of years ago.But it will be a target for theft as it is on the exterior.

You are absolutely going to have limitations for keeping a fridge running 24/7 in any large metropolitan area in a vehicle that is not as least as tall as a full size van.

I really like the Toyota Camry for it’s reliably and fuel mileage but it would be difficult to sleep in unless you are small in size. The back seat folds in most to access the trunk but for someone my size I would have to do several mods. I also like the Suburban for their living space and ease of repairs but on an old one you will need to do repairs and fuel mileage is about 1/3 of the Camry so not a daily driver kind of vehicle. I would keep the Camry and build a small light weight foamie tear drop style trailer for less than a thousand dollars (tnttt.com)and use it for sleeping and cooking. A gym membership takes care of showers. You will have about the same space as the Suburban in the teardrop and if it turns out you want a SUV then you can sell the trailer or keep it for extra space.
Yes thank you but I don’t understand how a tiny tear drop trailer fits into stealth
I would.l have to drag it everywhere attached to Camry !
Can you help me understand?

Stealth in my mind does not exist. You can’t just become invisible to sleep. Having done security work and dealt with out of bounds camping I can tell you the only reason you get away with sleeping in your car somewhere you shouldn’t is because someone that knows what you are doing lets you. Sleeping in a car requires you not breath as condensation, bathroom trips and even an open window will get noticed. A windowless teardrop or less obvious square drop trailer parked somewhere it is legal to park it as in a rented space as in a motel truck parking area, 24 hour storage, truck stop, 24 hour restaurant, fishing ramp/ dock parking, parking across from an emergency care center for 8 hours or less never within 20 miles of each other and never more than once a month is about as stealth as you can get. You will be dragging everything you need to be comfortable concealed instead of in your Camry where it can be seen. Yes totally blacked out windows get noticed too!

Last edited: