Can I get a little design help?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out EXPLORIST.life. They have several power plant wiring diagrams ranging from Spartan to deluxe, and they all include a materials and components list. They use Victron components. They are "code compliant" per a yachting-associated governing authority. EXPLORIST.life also has many videos that show how to do every aspect of every step "correctly" for max safety. I had a blast wiring my system using their diagrams.

Setting yourself up for future upgrades might be important. I made all my wall panels easily removable in case I want to add an outlet, switch, etc. Some guys run extra wires secured to a plain block of wood on a wall panel. Some guys don't have any wall panels to speak of, or they run their wires outside the wall panels - through cabinets or wire races. That makes it easy to add an extra branch circuit without any prior accommodation for it.
All my loads in the shell are going to be surface mount, as will be the wireway to feed them. I will have a surface mount cabinet for the fuse panel, with several 12 volt and USB ports, and a battery monitor mounted in it’s clear hinged door. Can anyone recommend which Alternator size would be adequate to keep both the truck and the house battery charged while going down the road? Thanks.

Since you worded it that way, I think if you can upsize to around 90 to 120 amps, and then use a 30 amp B2B (battery to battery) lithium rated charger instead of the solenoid or battery isolator you have now.

The B2B charger will automatically limit the current that the BattleBorn can pull from your alternator. Popular brands are Sterling and Renogy.

This should give you a good chance at success here.

Last edited: