What type of van do you prefer for full time living

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vagari

Reaction score
I am just curious as to what everyone prefers if living full time in a van?<br /><ol><li>Cargo Van with normal top</li><li>Passenger Van with normal top</li><li>Conversion Van with high top</li><li>Handicap Van with big high top</li></ol><br />I have attached some images

As much as I like all the vans listed I prefer something that blends&nbsp;in with other vehicles. I'm more interested in the "stealth" factor. It's not my primary concern but stealth plays an important part in my choice of vans.<br /><br />It all comes down to person preferences. There is no one "right" van for everyone.<br /><br />JMHO

Heck, I would love to have a B class but found a deal - like so many - on a low-top cargo that I had to start there. Of the four, I think I would prefer the high-top cargo and strip the inside to my own requirements. The handicap/hightop would be awesome but it would stick out a bit. I wonder how much gas mileage suffers with that boxy top?

Stillwater: You do raise a good point. If I found two vans priced about the same and one had a high-top I'd opt to buy the high-top. More space is always a desireable feature in any van.<br /><br />I recall seeing a Youtube video of a young man who found a $500.00 rv on Craigslist. When&nbsp;he went to check it out it was a older very-slightly used Class A rv. It was being sold by the widow of a man who had&nbsp;passed away. She had no idea as to what it was worth. This rig was worth around $10,00.00. When the young man went to have the rv smogged the guy doing the smog test offered him $7,500.00 for the rv. Do you think he sold it? NAH!<br /><br />That is one very lucky young man to discover this Class A rv on Craigslist.

I am in a GMC Safari presently, but I have just started on the conversion of a van very much like #4.&nbsp; Not exactly the stealthiest van in the list, but after being in such a small space for a while I am really looking forward to all the space in this one.&nbsp; Being able to stand up is priceless.&nbsp; My gas mileage is presently about 14 mpg.&nbsp; Not bad for a 460 engine.&nbsp; It will be a little less after everything gets added to it, but it should still be way better than even a small Class C.&nbsp; I figure you can't really hide the van (can easily find it in any parking lot from a mile away) so the best approach is going to be to hide in plain sight.&nbsp; It's so over the top that I'm betting it will be taken as a Class B when I get through.&nbsp; I'm starting on the woodwork this weekend.&nbsp; Hopefully will have some more pictures on my conversion thread soon.

<p>Coultergeist: Good looking van with alot of potential. It's nice to have that much room to customize the interior to your personal preferences.</p><p>I'm torn between a full-size van and an Astro van. I'd like a ful-size van but I've seen a few Astro vans that have been modified very well. They maximize the space so well that I could adjust to living in the smaller Astro van. It's not my preference, but I won't turn down a full-size van if the price is right. More room is always desireable.</p>

Thanks Pikachu711.&nbsp; I really like my GMC Safari.&nbsp; It is exactly like an Astro.&nbsp; I did alot of work on mine.&nbsp; I have a conversion thread on it on this site.&nbsp; It can be made to work really well, but it takes alot of effort to make the most of the space.&nbsp; I saved alot of space by making a foldup bed.&nbsp; It stores when not being used.&nbsp; Really freed up alot of space in the van.&nbsp; Sitting in the passenger seat (turned around) is alot like sitting in a really small living room. Its pretty comfy and everything is easy to get to and functional.&nbsp; Of course it took quite a while to get it to that point.&nbsp; I'm hoping to have much more room in the bigger van.&nbsp; Still plan on maximizing space though.&nbsp; My setup will be a bit unconventional, but I think it will work out pretty well.&nbsp; I hope so anyway.

hmmm, im kinda partial to busses....
zero stealth, couldnt hide it if you wanted to. But i can stand up, and I often hide in plain sight. A group of mexican natives eyed it warily in the parkinglot at lunch today- perhaps it resembles ICE or immigration vehicle. ENCON and DNS and forestry vehicles are often the same color also. Mine was a prison transporter before i bought it.

edited to add gas mpg is 10 or so in town, 13.5 hwy

You could put the ICE logo on the bus for the "Govt" look so the local LEO's wouldn't bother you! lol<br /><br />But seriously, I've found some smaller school bus conversions here in Vegas. Even found a full-size "trainer" Thomas&nbsp;school bus a few years ago for $1,200.00. Almost bought it but I'd have a heck of a time parking it since I live in an apartment complex.

The other day I saw an all white windowless extended E-350 with a 2-foot hightop. The hightop was slanted back instead of hanging a bit over the cab like most van-based buses or handicap haulers. I don't know what they were using it for. Maybe it was a vandweller. Except for the issues with cross winds and lowered mileage, and slightly less stealth factor, I think that would be a good base for a live-in. It's sort of a step below a box van.<br /><br />Of the choices above, I prefer no windows, so the windowed versions would be out, unless it was a really good truck and laughably cheap.

Id like a sprinter/cargo with hi top ideally, though right now i just have a normal cargo.&nbsp; <br /><br />

&nbsp;Funny thing about up here in B.C. is that non-stealthy stuff is still stealthy. So many camper vans and trucks with campers (slide-ins) that nobody really looks twice. Maybe it's because we have, basically, forest outside our front doors. A schoolbus however, even the newer van style, sticks out like a sore thumb. ..Willy.

When I was hunting for a Van, there were not that many available in the area I was searching. &nbsp;My priorities were fuel injection, and either Dodge or Chevy. A raised roof was desirable, but I did not want a turtle top type.<br /><br />When I saw the Dodge &nbsp;High top conversion in the paper and went to see and drive it, I knew it was going to be my Van.<br /><br />Soon as I got it I ripped out the TV and speaker shrouds so I could maximize the space up top for my 9'6" surfboards. &nbsp;I ripped out the captain's chair behind the driver and built a cabinet to house a sink and water tank. &nbsp;Over the next 10 years I modified it into an Ideal camper as I learned what I wanted/needed, and did my best to not make it look like a camper.<br /><br />My point is you can make anything work. &nbsp;Some vans just give you more to work with, and your plans for the ideal set up will change as you live from it.

I&nbsp;didn't&nbsp;see a conversion van with low top as an option in the pole so... I guess I will pick conversion van with high top. I personally think conversion van's are the&nbsp;stealthiest&nbsp;of all vans. Cargo van's don't blend very well and stand out in certain places ( schools, parks,&nbsp;neighborhoods). Whereas I can not think of many places a conversion van&nbsp;doesn't&nbsp;fit in at.

I'm in the process of buying an 12-passenger van with low top, seats removed. I love the size of it but I wish it didn't have windows. I'm not worried too much about stealth because I won't be camping much in cities except when visiting friends. If it works out and I decide I want to live in it longterm, I'd consider having a high top installed. &nbsp;

Lostinspace said:
Not sure who it was but about a week ago I think someone asked to be advised when a diesel van was for sale.&nbsp; So here is one for sale in Tallahassee on CL....<br><a href="http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/cto/3485844502.html" rel="nofollow">http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/cto/3485844502.html</a>&nbsp;&nbsp; Doesn't give the mileage.&nbsp; Good luck, and it's not mine.
<br><br>The part about getting it out of the yard isn't encouraging. Sounds rather neglected.

One thing to consider when choosing vans is the extra weight of the window vans. All that glass is pretty heavy and depending on the brand and length of the van, it adds 300-to-500 lbs. over a cargo van. That doesn't seem all that much in a 4,000 lb. vehicle but it does decrease the MPG some and you are that much closer to overloading the van.