What to do with the garbage?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwalts

Reaction score
I just joined the group and the question that was on my mind that brought me here was, what do we do with our trash?  I get it that if we are at a site with a dumpster for that purpose we just throw it in there, but what if we are boondocking?  I can't imagine that we should drive around looking for an unattended dumpster to throw our stuff in.  Taking and cramming my garbage in some receptacle in some gas station just doesn't seem right either.  

SO... what do we do with our garbage?

Whatever goes in, comes out. Dump when you find a dumpster.

jwalts said:
Taking and cramming my garbage in some receptacle in some gas station just doesn't seem right either.

Why not?

Seriously, how much garbage to you plan to generate in the amount of time between fuel fill-ups, grocery store runs, or maybe a stop at the local coffee shop?  If you minimize your waste to start, and dispose in readily available receptacles frequently you shouldn't have any problem.  There might be a local depot for recyclables and it should be free to drop off anything in that category.

At least, that's been my plan for a future that involves living in a vehicle.  I'm interested to see what those of you who do it already have to say.

I live full time in an RV and mostly boondock. I generate very little trash. I burn all the burnables and take my trash to the local gas station or rest stop. It hasn’t been a problem, ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Around here, the Walmarts have separate bins for recyclables, trash etc......

Most communities have garbage facilities.  For example, if you are in Quartzsite head North.  Follow the signs towards Parker.  Not far beyond Quartzsite you will see signs for the transfer station.  

Packaging is the part of trash with the most bulk.  I don't hesitate to unpack purchases before leaving the store parking lot and returning the packaging to the trash can in front of the store.  Garbage like used coffee grounds come back to the store at the next trip.  Disposing frequently makes each deposit smaller.

when there are no burn bans I burn all paper/cardboard. do not try to burn plastic or foam. for everything else I find the county landfill or transfer station. for a small bag I use gas stations island cans or rest stops. I never use business dumpsters without asking for permission. I separate recyclables and either recycle or donate them. highdesertranger

jwalts said:
  Taking and cramming my garbage in some receptacle in some gas station just doesn't seem right either.  

SO... what do we do with our garbage?

Welcome to the place, life slows down.

I live on the road full time. So....
        If I'm on the move from point A to Point B. As you mentioned cram it in a gas station can, at the pumps.
Or if I'm camping out, 9 times out of 10 I will dig a Garbage hole. When it fills up, I set it, a blaze!
That same hole can be used over and over.
Fill it in when I leave.

I want to add that a few times I have asked at a gas station if I could toss a kitchen sized bag in the dumpster and the response was it was better than filling the cans at the pumps.

Parks are another place to find trash cans.

There just does not seem to be a reliable way to find a place to recycle anything but deposit cans/bottles (and even those can be hard to find a place to sell).

I use plastic grocery bags for garbage. Depositing one or two in any place I'm doing business has never been an issue. If I've been out for awhile and I have a bunch I'll ask if nothing public is available. Gas stations are a good go to for water and trash.

jwalts said:
Again, thanks to all of you who replied.  I don't figure I will be generating much garbage but it was something I had not seen any information on anywhere and was curious.  In all the videos I have seen about full time RVing and vanlife I have not seen a shovel yet, but I bet it is something you all carry.  

For some reason I had it in my head that fires would be restricted in many places.  Now that I am thinking of it, I don't know.   So much to learn.  Bob had said in a video this was the place to get answers, of course he was right.  

Thanks again everyone.  :)
Jim

[font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif]"[/font][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif]SO... what do we do with our garbage?"[/font]

I make an effort to be mindful of how much trash or garbage I create/accumulate as a way of minimising my footprint. From there, rigorous recycling, including composting where possible, results in very little heading to landfill. Bit of a self esteem boost every time I leave a recycling station and no trash in the van.

The choice of using a gas station bin against creating litter is an easy one.

jwalts said:
what do we do with our trash?

One trick I am trying to learn is not to bring trash into the camper. Now when I buy packaged stuff I remove the packaging, crush it, bag it up, and walk it back up to the store's trashcan. :)

DLTooley said:
I use plastic grocery bags for garbage.  

That's what I use too.  The small size makes it easy to drop them in any trashcan anywhere.

Ticklebellly said:
I make an effort to be mindful of how much trash or garbage I create/accumulate as a way of minimising my footprint.   From there, rigorous recycling, including composting where possible, results in very little heading to landfill.   Bit of a self esteem boost every time I leave a recycling station and no trash in the van.

The choice of using a gas station bin against creating litter is an easy one.

I'm of the same attitude.  I don't want my life to create problems any more than I can help it.    I guess the trick is to try to get things without packaging, or as another person has said, strip the extra packaging and leave it at the store that you got it from.  Who knows, perhaps they would start to consider less packaging.

frater secessus said:
One trick I am trying to learn is not to bring trash into the camper.   Now when I buy packaged stuff I remove the packaging, crush it, bag it up, and walk it back up to the store's trashcan.  :)

Great idea!  :)

While the rest of the Japan has a recycling rate of around 20 percent, Kamikatsu surpasses its neighbors with a staggering 80 percent. After becoming aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide associated with burning garbage, the town instated the Zero Waste Declaration with the goal of being completely waste-free by 2020.

frater secessus said:
One trick I am trying to learn is not to bring trash into the camper.   Now when I buy packaged stuff I remove the packaging, crush it, bag it up, and walk it back up to the store's trashcan.  :)

Good one. Forced myself to learn that one by getting groceries on a motorcycle.

John61CT said:
While the rest of the Japan has a recycling rate of around 20 percent, Kamikatsu surpasses its neighbors with a staggering 80 percent. After becoming aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide associated with burning garbage, the town instated the Zero Waste Declaration with the goal of being completely waste-free by 2020.

This effort put into recycling reminds me of the freighters from Japan that come up the Mystic River to Chelsea Massachusetts to a pulverizing plant that reduces various types and sizes of metal for recycling, around the world to turn scrap metal into merchandise.