What makes Cheaprvliving different

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ice_maiden

Reaction score
I've thought about this quite a bit. Forums generally connect people of similar interests. For example an RV fan might join one of the RV forums, A Ford fan, a Ford forum, a prepper forum for a prepper, and so on.

This is supposed to be a vandwellling forum, but not all of us necessarily want to live in a van. Some of us live in vans, others in RV's, some still in sticks & bricks and still others in everything in between.

I think what makes this forum so different is the diversity and ideas of the people. Almost everyone is willing to think outside of the box. No matter where or how you live, almost everyone is accepting of different ideologies. Another difference is the freedom to choose to live your life differently and still be accepted as it being normal here. I think that's another reason, that for the most part we can agree to disagree without too many flaming matches on here. On Cheaprvliving it is okay not to think like the main stream.

I know, I have never thought like the main stream. Not that I ever gave a dang, but it's still nice to connect with people that see that as being okay. For those of us that are single, thinking differently sometimes creates a bit of isolation, because it makes it harder for others to understand our viewpoint. When I talk to friends and family, few understand why I gave up a 3br house to live in a 330sq ft RV. They know I'm worlds happier, but they can't understand why. Whereas most of you understand it.

So Bob, Thank you for creating a forum where it's okay to not want more, more, more. This started out as a vandwelling forum (and still is) but it's also so much more. You have assembled an exceptional group of people here.

ice_maiden, another aspect of this forum I instantly found refreshing is that regardless of how you decide to live "outside the box" as a van dweller you tend to receive support. This is very little condemnation of the "van dweller" lifestyle.

When members post questions, comments or suggestions the majority of the replies tend to be from point of evaluating if it will work or not. If the subject being discussed people tend to express their honest appraisal of that suggestion. I've posted a few suggestions & comments and as a result I've reconsidered after reading the comments posted by members without any outright condemnation of that idea. It was an honest exchange of ideas. Could it get any better? I don't think so.

Until I accidentally discovered this site I had no clue how to even begin planning to be a van dweller. Now I've considered all my options and know how to proceed that makes sense. I now know how I plan to make the move to a van dwelling lifestyle. Now I'm ready for the move with very little doubt in my mind about most, if not all, of the aspects of this way of life.

Thanks again Bob! You created a forum for people who want to live "outside the box" and follow societies "norms."

I wholeheartedly agree with you!!

I've been a member of several different RV and Vandwelling forums, and for some reason, the folks on here seem to alot more laid-back, and accepting of others' differences and ideas....and I for one, LOVE this place!

I love the diversity of the site even.
We've got places to go for technical information for your electronic, your solar, and your computer equipment. We've got places to go for ideas on how to set-up and equip your rig. (whatever style rig you've got...or are considering!) Heck, we've even got places for just talking about our different potty set-ups!!
What are you living in.... a car, a van, truck, RV, TT...well there are sub-forums dedicated to each of these to help with your exact and special needs. There are places for matters of the heart, and places to simply make you laugh and smile! :D
And that's not all...there are even special events where folks can get together and meet one another. Good tymes to be 'shared' by all!!

I really don't think that there's any other place like this on the interwebs, and I'm so glad I found this spot! Thanx all for letting me hang around.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone.

(btw Chris....you really need to update your blog!! (and YES, I read it!) :p

Well said Ice_maiden :)

We came to this site as lurkers for a while. We live in a class A, but didn't enjoy some RV sites where people in fancy 45' rigs with their noses in the air.
Having been a vandweller, I found this a comfortable place to land. A place that seemed more down to earth. Margie agrees and enjoys hearing what everyone is up to here. (Bindi just lays in her chair and snoozes, LOL).

I think Bob had a great idea when he formed this site.

the only way I can describe this place is…. Real people living real lives.

What makes this forum is the folks attracted to it. Most are not now or maybe ever really mainstream. The desire to want something more from our lives than what is typical in this culture is what binds us. That's my story and I'm sticking to it !

This forum , for myself , has been a life saver / changer ! I can't fully describe in words how this has moved me personally and has provided hope for my future. My gratitude and thanks to everybody who contributes to the forum!!! I hope to " pay it forward " and help someone like me " see the light ".

Best regards,

Randy

I've just read what I've been telling family and friends.......meeting the tribe here in Q this group is different.....and I mean that in a good way!!!!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and new friendships

I'm a 'forum person' and have been for about 20 years now. I generally find one forum that I like and set up camp there until something drives me away. In pretty much every forum I have ever called home, that something was 'forum politics'. Many of you know what I mean. Dig beneath the surface of most big forums, no matter the subject, and you find oneupmanship, backstabbing, cliquishness and ugly 'power plays'.

That's when I break camp and bail. I don't do politics, or worse, hypocrisy.

I had nearly given up on finding a new online 'home', when I stumbled in here and found something that just floored me... people who actually wanted to help me make my dream a reality. That was a life-changer.

I think what makes this forum different is a combination of the simple, overall philosophy of Bob and Katie- to help others and share experiences- and the amazing people that said philosophy has attracted.

There is little 'oneupmanship' (the downfall of many forums) here, both because it is not tolerated and because living this lifestyle 'on the cheap' is immune to it. There is no 'best' or 'perfect' rig in vandwelling, just what works for you as an individual.

Many thanks to Katie and Bob for providing this great forum, and a special shout out to Mara, who has been 'the ghost in the machine' for our move to the new site. Thank you all for giving us a place to call home.

Its all been said so well! Its every single person here that makes this site special/different IMO. As for it being a vandwellers forum...hmmm...title still reads cheaprv to me *smile*.

And yes!! Thanks Bob, Katie...gosh we'd still be wandering aimlessly without Mara...!

All I have to say is, "HERE! HERE!
Thank you Bob & Katie
Kathleen

sThe subject is: What makes Cheaprvliving different. I'm sure we all might define cheap differently. But, I feel we all figure if we can't afford something more than what we have or what we decide to get, then it's a cheap as we can make it. After all, if it isn't cheap enough, we don't get it.
Buying older rigs in good condition or making them good rigs rather than soaking our lives in debt for a new one might be considered cheap.
I have a great motor home. It ain't new. But it is paid for and that makes it drive sooo good. We keep it in good condition of course.
I consider myself as good as the next person. I don't mind at all if someone has a greater next egg and retirement. I assume they made that happen. It's no one's fault I don't have more net worth but mine.
I think a difference might be, one buys what he wants even if he knows the price is high, while another searches for the best price then buys what he can afford.
I think this forum is a bunch of likeminded folks who like to share their friendliness about enjoying life.

Latest posts